The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 15, 2002, 08:21 PM   #1
MarkW

Mauser Action Rifle

Back in the 'late 60's ('68?) Sears marketed a '98 Mauser under the Ted Williams name. My question is this. What was the model number that they marketed this rifle under? These where from what I gather true Mauser 98 actions rebarreled and new stocks added. The one example I have seen had a tiger stripe maple stock. Very nice rifles. Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 15, 2002, 09:08 PM   #2
Jim Watson

In the EARLY 60s JC Higgins models 50, 51, and 51 Deluxe were FN Mausers. A 51L was a Husqvarna. and a 52 was a Sako.
Barrels are said to have been from High Standard, stocks from an American company, maybe Bishop or Fajen.

In the LATE 60s, a plain Sears 53 was a Winchester 670 and a Ted Williams 53 was a Winchester 70. I think these were all Winchester manufacture, just with Sears or Ted Williams markings.

Best I can tell, they changed sources from FN to Winchester about the time they changed sports department spokesman from JC Higgins (maybe fictional, maybe a company employee, stories differ) to undoubtedly well known Ted Williams.