The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2015, 01:29 PM   #1
GrandpaBear

Finding Collector's Value for Tools

Does anyone know where I can find information for pricing tools, dies, and other bits and pieces of reloading equipment for sale?
I really hate to use E-bay for selling firearms related tools, especially when I'm doing so for the widow of a friend and want to be sure to get proper pricing for both LN and for the person buying the gear as well.
Thank you for helping.

GPB.
Old April 25, 2015, 03:44 PM   #2
KEYBEAR

Two years ago I did what you are doing (it,s no fun) .
I had a very good friend that past away and had a lot of reloading equipment . The only thing you can do is check the sites and see what things are selling for . Then look at the price of the same part new and go from that .

My friends wife ask me to sell all this reloading stuff and it took a good year to do . ( he had a bunch) You need to balance it between getting a good price and being able to get it sold in a reasonable time .

One point keep a good account of the stuff you sell and the price . After I sold all the stuff my friend had his son (52 years old) With no interest at all and no idea of value question me as to the prices I got for things .
Remember when it comes to money all bets are off .

One more thing DO NOT BUY ANYTHING YOUR SELF only SELL .
Old April 25, 2015, 04:48 PM   #3
dahermit

I have sold such items on both Gunbroker and Ebay with no problem. If one uses an auction, one does not need to do research on what something is worth...it will usually sell at an appropriate price if there is enough interest. Everything gun related (sporting goods), except actual guns are sold on Ebay. Use Gunbroker for actual guns. It is not rocket science.
Old April 25, 2015, 08:32 PM   #4
sawdustdad

Have to agree that the definition of market value is what something sells for on ebay.
Old April 25, 2015, 11:14 PM   #5
reddog81

I would think eBay with good pictures and good descriptions would be your best bet. Most newer reloading tools sell for fairly close to what you can buy them new for. If the stuff is older the value is going to be very dependent on condition and if it is something commonly used today or collectible.
Old April 26, 2015, 07:20 AM   #6
Handloader109

EBay is a decent place to find valuation for some items. Not always the best place to sell. High fees are a deterent to me. If you are in a decent size town you may be better to Craig's list. Several of the firearms forums do good job, I.e. lot of reloading supply sales. Pretty high traffic. Price may be a bit lower, but no fees. I would think I'd be going for one lot sale, she probably has a lot of items that won't sell and would have to spend time getting rid of. Easier if one person loaded up and went.
Old April 26, 2015, 03:37 PM   #7
boondocker385

I had to do the same thing for a friend (and his firearms too). I used Craigslist, and eBay for the reloading equipment and tools
Old April 26, 2015, 08:41 PM   #8
Marco Califo

IMO disposing of a decedent's reloading equipment and supplies is an unwelcome task. There is not a stored value to be reaped to anyone's satisfaction. And it consumes time, energy, and produces stress.
Rather, it is best handled by trying to find a new home for the stuff with someone who can use it for its intended purpose. If successful, a fair price might be one to twelve beers, and/or $20, and the satisfaction that the stuff will be used rather than thrown out.
Personally, I would either:
1. Consider talking to a gun club and asking for donations to the estate out of sympathy, and then making the supplies and equipment available for helping start new reloaders.
2. Offer a small donation for nothing, and back away from the situation.
Old April 27, 2015, 01:15 PM   #9
sawdustdad

I can't imagine selling guns on craigslist. First, I'd never have anyone come to my house, so any transaction would have to be at a public place. Secondly, I would not be comfortable selling a gun to a stranger who I have no idea about. I think I'd take them all to a local FFL dealer and sell them as used guns there.

I really like the idea of donating reloading equipment to a local gun club for new shooters/reloaders.
Old April 27, 2015, 02:08 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...hate to use E-Bay..." Good. They finance the people who want to take your firearms away from you. Amazing the number of people of the assorted firearm forum who think nothing of giving Sarah Brady's Gang, et al, their money.
"...It is not rocket science..." Exactly.
For pricing tools etc, look on the assorted firearm auction sites. Don't expect to get anywhere near what you paid for the stuff though.
Old April 27, 2015, 04:20 PM   #11
Gunplummer

Take it to an auctioneer that takes in small lots and then holds an auction when he gets enough together. I did this when I moved to a smaller place. You rarely go wrong. Look around for auction rates(Auctioneer's cut) first. If you go to a lot of gun shows, you rarely see good used reloading tools or books. This stuff moves easily.
Old April 28, 2015, 08:08 AM   #12
jmorris

eBay an PayPal are not friends of firearm owners but that is the best place to find the largest group of buyers. I really don't get it, I have sold things there for more than they could be bought brand new. Just a few years ago I sold a more than 10 year old Dillon 650 for more than $1800.

Tags
pricing tools , selling tools