The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 9, 2013, 12:43 PM   #1
jwrowland77

Scope for 600yd FTR?

I currently have a scope that was basically just to get me started. It's a 8-32x44 cheapo.

I eventually would like to save up and get a 15-55 Nightforce, but well, don't quite have the funds yet for it.

What's a good quality scope, that will allow me to see out a good distance x24, x32 but not break the bank? Good repeating ability, clarity, etc... Max $600.

Could I go with a lower power since it would be a better quality scope? I'd really like to see up close though.

Thanks as always.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Bart B.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-r...moa-36x40.html

Probably the best buy for the buck in competition optics.

Besides, fixed power scopes don't change zeros like the adjustable power ones often do. For variables in competition, they shoot best when hard against the maximum power stop and kept there. So, why not use a fixed power scope in the first place?
Old October 10, 2013, 08:47 AM   #3
1DrnkMxR

Check out SWFA's super sniper scopes. Great scopes for the money.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:58 AM   #4
jwrowland77

Scope for 600yd FTR?

Awesome, thanks guys.

I hadn't even thought about a fixed power, but if I'm going to just use it for competition, then a fixed may be the way to go. I have my 7mm RM that I normally hunt with anyway.

Last edited by jwrowland77; October 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old October 10, 2013, 11:11 AM   #5
precision_shooter

I would also give a look at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 or x50. Only 20 power, but for $400, offer great glass and an excellent warranty. I opt for good glass over magnification any day. Clarity will help you see better than magnification will. If you can get both, great, but that usually costs upwards of $2,000 for a scope...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 10, 2013, 12:54 PM   #6
jwrowland77

Scope for 600yd FTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter View Post
I would also give a look at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 or x50. Only 20 power, but for $400, offer great glass and an excellent warranty. I opt for good glass over magnification any day. Clarity will help you see better than magnification will. If you can get both, great, but that usually costs upwards of $2,000 for a scope...
That's something I was wondering too. If I was to get better glass, could I back down on max power, since it'll be clearer?
Old October 10, 2013, 01:04 PM   #7
precision_shooter

I find it to be true. Optically clearer and brighter glass can give you a better sight picture than a higher magnification scope of lesser quality glass allowing you to use less magnification to see the same details as a higher magnification, albeit they will still be smaller is size, but a lot clearer.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 10, 2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Bart B.

JW, you don't need a scope with optics so good and expensive you can see a gnat crawling on a 600-yard FTR target. All you need is enough quality to put the reticule in the center of the bullseye.

Weaver T Series scopes have never had the best optics, but their adjustment mechanics for accuracy and repeatability have seldom been equalled.

With whatever scope you get, anchor it in a solid vise or something that lets it aim at something at least 100 yards away. Or, borrow an optical collimator to put in the rifle's muzzle. Then focus its reticule on a tiny object, move an adjustment off one direction two clicks. Then move the adjustment back two clicks. The reticule better go back to where it started from. If it doesn't, send it back for warranty fixing or replacement. Do the test again with the new one and if it has the same problem, get a refund and find something else. Best test there is for accuracy and repeatability on this planet and you don't have to shoot any ammo doing it.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:01 PM   #9
jwrowland77

Scope for 600yd FTR?

Bart B,

I was looking at those Weavers, and I like what I see and the reviews I've read on them.

Right now I have a 8-32x44 truglo. It's done good getting me some experience, but the optics on a hot day are a bit fuzzy out at full on max. I might back it down this weekend and see how that goes. As far as repeatability, as long as I go slow two clicks this way or that and then I go back to same position slowly it's pretty good.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:16 PM   #10
ripnbst

Scope for 600yd FTR?

If its only fuzzy on hot days then its probably mirage and not the scope.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:40 PM   #11
4runnerman

I have to go with Bart on this one. I do think it is one of the most popular scopes in Bench shooting. Crisp, clear and tracking second to none.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:56 PM   #12
jwrowland77

Scope for 600yd FTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnbst View Post
If its only fuzzy on hot days then its probably mirage and not the scope.
Well, I'll definitely be able to tell this weekend. This high this weekend is only like 78, where the other two times I shot, the low was like 78 and high in the 90's and one day it was 100.
Old October 10, 2013, 09:38 PM   #13
4runnerman

Hey JW- how goes it. If you dial down and it goes away--it's mirage. You will know. 78 degrees- It will still happen. It is just something you have to deal with. I am sure in your comp shooting you have seen others with a heat shield on their barrels. It helps with barrel heat mirage,but just the outside heat will still produce it. You have 2 options
1- dial down
2- shoot through it.
I do # 2 myself. I know you comp shoot,so being in those shoe's you know you are on a time limit. It is not something you will be able to escape from. Practice in it and you will be fine. The 600 yards you shoot the wind shifting and changing will be the hardest thing to learn.

PS-- Bart- Here is another guy that shoots a Savage Axis in comp and does very well for groups at 600 yards
Old October 10, 2013, 10:53 PM   #14
bamaranger

first

I shot my first FTR match with a fixed 12x. I didn't feel like I needed more power, but my vintage glass was a bit lacking in clarity.

I'd say you need an AO, repeatable adjustments more than a bucn of X power, though a NF would be nice for sure.

Have you priced a Leup fixed 12x with target turrets on ebay yet?
Old October 11, 2013, 06:03 AM   #15
jwrowland77

Scope for 600yd FTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
I shot my first FTR match with a fixed 12x. I didn't feel like I needed more power, but my vintage glass was a bit lacking in clarity.

I'd say you need an AO, repeatable adjustments more than a bucn of X power, though a NF would be nice for sure.

Have you priced a Leup fixed 12x with target turrets on ebay yet?
The one I have is AO right now. I have started looking at fixed power. I'm going to play around with the one I have at tomorrow's match and see if I can find something that works.
Old October 11, 2013, 11:04 AM   #16
Bart B.

One nice thing about seeing mirage through your rifle scope is. . .it's easy to see when the cross winds pick up or drop off a bit. Hold into the wind in a pick up, away in a let off. Many folks do very well in long range matches holding at the left or right edge of the X or 10 ring instead of going out of position to make a few clicks on the windage knob.

Hold on the upwind bullseye's blob center with the mirage (or heat waves) elongating it horizontally downwind. That's where the target is. That downwind shadow of the bullseye is caused by refraction of light coming from it through the heat waves.
Old October 11, 2013, 12:42 PM   #17
jwrowland77

Scope for 600yd FTR?

Hmmmm, learn all kinds of new stuff. Thanks Bart B. Last month, had temps hovering mid 90's with a right to left wind avg 12mph going down to 5mph.

I'll have to file that away for later use. Thanks!
Old October 13, 2013, 04:03 PM   #18
jwrowland77

Scope for 600yd FTR?

How are those Sightron 36x compared to the Weavers?

I'm seriously thinking about going with a fixed power since FTR is all I'll use that rifle for at this time.

I know it's time to bump up the quality of glass I have on my rifle. I did pretty good yesterday in the match but I think the cheap scope I have on it is what's holding me back now.
Old October 13, 2013, 04:40 PM   #19
4runnerman

JW- I have a Sightron 8-32 x 56 on my rifle now. Great scope. Clarity and Tracking are perfect. The Sightron straight 36 power seem's too be coming in with mixed reviews. Lot's of folks trading them in for the Weaver T36 and are saying they are glad they did. I had the chance to look down a 3 year old T36 today at the range. Clarity was good,not a wow,but good. The tracking is perfect on the T36 I am being told. Have not meet any one with a Sightron yet so no input other than what I have read on them. I myself after looking down the T36 am going to go that route I think. I am going to see if I can save enough money first all winter to get the Nightforce 15-55 Zero Stop first. A few guys at the range have them. That scope when I looked down it got a very big wow. Crystal clear and 600 yards looked like you could put your hand in front of your face and touch the target. I would rather have a adjustable than a straight power scope for mirage reasons only. Either one of the 2 scopes you are considering will be very good.
Old October 13, 2013, 04:59 PM   #20
jwrowland77

Scope for 600yd FTR?

Awesome, thanks 4runner. Yeah, I'd like to save for a NF too, but man those things are expensive. I've heard they are well worth it though.
Old November 21, 2013, 02:10 PM   #21
coalroller

Scope for 600yd FTR?

The sightron 32 power is around $700 I think. I have a 10-50x60 sightron and I like it better than my Nightforce 12-42x56. Sightron is a great scope. So is vortex too bad vortex don't go up past 24 power