The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 03:15 PM   #1
lilcris

Looking for a .22 - Sig 1911-22 worth the money?

I bought my first pistol a few months ago: a SA 1911 EMP 9mm. I have really enjoyed shooting it and am looking at adding a .22lr semi-automatic to my collection.

I went by a local gun store last week and was able to get my hands on several pistols: Ruger SR22, Walther P22, S&W M&P-22, ATI/Sig 1911-22, Sig Mosquito.

I have ruled out the Walther and Sig Mosquito. The M&P-22 was okay, but I liked the feel of the others better.

So I have narrowed my choices down to the Ruger SR-22 and the Sig 1911-22. My question: Is there anything about the 1911 that justifies the extra cost for me? It is a little more than I wanted to spend, but the dealer mentioned that it's good to get a 1911-style .22 because it will mimic the feel of my EMP.

I am also considering the Browning Buckmark and Ruger MKIII, but this store didn't have any and I'm not sure they are in my price range ($300-$400 max)

Thanks!
Old December 30, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
tristar viper

I just got rid of an SR22 and I would say it's a really nice and very reliable pistol.
Prior to that I had a Browning Buckmark Camper. I swear, with the heavy barrel it had and the nice trigger, it got BORING to shoot because it was so accurate....I am not kidding either. There was no challenge to shooting it after a while.
Old December 30, 2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Lurch37

Of the pistols you listed, I have the Sig Mosquito, Sig 1911, Walther P22, and although not the Ruger MKIII but the 22/45. They all are fine pistols and fun to shoot, although some are a little more pickier than others about ammo.

I personally like 1911 pistols, especially if they have a little horse on them, and the Sig 1911 is a good quality pistol that does provide one with increased user familiarity at a cheaper cost.

You really won't go wrong buying any of those you've listed, but if you carry your EMP or it's for home defense, it would be cheaper practicing your skills with the Sig 1911. But don't exclude training with your EMP altogether. :-)
Old December 30, 2012, 06:57 PM   #4
lilcris

The EMP is for home defense. I enjoy it, but I am still fighting the flinch with every round and I have little endurance at the range. I feel mentally and physically tired after shooting just 50 rounds, although I am getting better. I was hoping to regularly shoot 50 rounds of my EMP, plus another 100 rounds of a .22. The similarity of the 1911-22 to my EMP is what attracted me to that particular gun, but I also really like the size and feel of the Ruger. Similarly, my husband shoots a full size 1911 and would probably really enjoy the 1911-22 more. I just want to make sure the cost difference of about $90 is justified.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:09 PM   #5
BrokenBottles

Isn't the Sig 1911-22 just a "rebranded" GSG 1911-22?
I don't know if thats^^^ true but I've heard it an awful lot and the GSG isn't as pretty but it's like 100-150 less in my area.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:38 PM   #6
PSP

Quote:
Isn't the Sig 1911-22 just a "rebranded" GSG 1911-22?
Yes, same gun. I have one and I'm very pleased with it. It has a better than expected trigger, is more accurate than I expected and thus far very reliable with all the ammo I've fed it. When a gun beats my expectations I'm happy. My only complaint is the takedown takes longer than some other fun pistols.

The 1911-22 isn't as nice as my Buckmark Field 5.5, but I didn't think it would be. Thge Buckmark or 1911-22... either one a good buy worth the money IMHO.
Old December 31, 2012, 02:02 PM   #7
L_Killkenny

Dollar for dollar not many if any of the rimfire/centerfire twins will preform as well as the Ruger MK's, Buckmarks and the S&W 41. The only advantage they have is looks and to be honest that is the only reason they are even in existence IMO. Is that worth extra coin to you? Only you can answer but it sure as hell isn't to me.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Billy the Kidder

I own an SR22 and like it a lot. Function has been great and I have had no problems with misfeeds/misfires since a couple stove pipes in the first 50 rounds, it probably has 2000 now. It's accurate out to 50' and I used it in my league until I bought a Mark III Hunter (a great shooting gun).

My wife has a Sig-Sauer 1911-22 and she likes it. She has maybe 300 rounds through it and there have been no malfunctions of any kind. I have not shot it too much, but the little I have, I liked it. I like the fact that it is full size and think it will benefit her in the long run (she has just begun shooting). Although the same gun as the GSG, we felt that the possible resale value of the Sig brand would be beneficial, and then much to our surprise the store price matched the Sig to the GSG we had looked at at another store.

I'm no expert, but both guns seem to be well made.

My wife would have purchased the Ruger MK III, as that's the gun she had taken her class with, but we didn't see the point in having two identical guns in the house and she wanted a gun of her own.
Old January 1, 2013, 04:56 PM   #9
gallenl

I have one & absolutely love it.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Noreaster

I have had really good luck with my Sig 1911-22. It's a favorite for my kids. It's not a target pistol, just really fun to shoot and very reliable. Sig customer service is top notch now and I would take that into account when considering a GSG.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:54 PM   #11
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I really like the GSG 1911-22(the Sig's sister pistol). The only flaw I have with them is the finish. They scuff easily, but at the $300 price point, it is a minor flaw. I had a GSG but gave it to my uncle, he fell in love with it. It was harder for him to find one, he is elderly and lives in Fairbanks,AK. So rather than him having to wait on one, I gave him mine. I had put around 1000-1200 rounds through it, he has put 4x that through it. It is still plinking...

The magazines can be a tad costly(IMHO) but not horribly overpriced. They are fun and accurate. So please if you get one post photos, so it will motivate me to buy another one..lol. If I were going to choose though between the 1911-22 and a MkIII or Buckmark. I would choose the MkIII or Buckmark. They are solid well built accurate pistols.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 2, 2013, 12:27 AM   #12
lilcris

Thanks for the feedback! I have heard some nasty stories about the 1911-22 slide cracking/exploding, which makes me a bit nervous. It looks like I can get a GSG 1911-22 for about $60 cheaper at my LGS.

i will try to get my hands on a local MKIII or Buckmark before making up my mind. I have only heard good things about them, but I want to make sure they feel good in my hands.

Still really liking the SR22.

Thanks again!