The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Bailey4765

Remington Model 11-She's a Beauty But a Jamomatic!

First I'll say I really love this gun -BUT-

My Model 11 is in great shape but fails to feed 1/2 the time when fired. Sometimes I think it may be the carrier spring because when it fails, a tug back then release of the bolt handle clears it fast every time.

It seems like the shell carrier isn't making it all the way up. It also does this sometimes when the bolt is to the rear, a round is slapped into the ejection port properly onto the carrier and then the bolt released.

The gun is clean and lightly oiled but malfunctions with both lighter and heavy loads no matter how the rings are set. Thanks for reading this and please advise.

By the way, it was a presentation gift to someone when it was new back in 1927 and I won it on Auction Arms from JackTheDog - and wish it could talk!

http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...temnum=8694799

Old March 26, 2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Salmoneye

Never mind...

I had written about the tossing the shell on the carrier, but I missed that you had already tried...Evelyn Wood has been the bane of my existence...

I do believe that if the carrier fails to raise the shell with the bolt locked back and tossing one in, then you have it sussed out...There may be wear to the point it will not raise far enough also...
Old March 26, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Bailey4765

Thanks Salmoneye. I was up in Vermont a couple years ago and picked up a .351 WSL and an Austrian M1849.

So you're saying it might be the carrier spring? I believe Browning still sells the springs for the Auto 5. Will this work?
Old March 27, 2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Salmoneye

I believe it may be the carrier spring, but also if my failing memory serves, there is a metal on metal wear point that might be the issue...Seems as though I remember in the distant past hearing of a bead of weld and judicious filing having been the cure...Without disassembling mine, I can't remember where the wear point is...

CRS is as bad as speed reading and missing entire sentences...

Pretty sure the spring is the same through all the permutations of the A5 and clones...At least according to Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/180...ld-745-a-745-c
Old March 27, 2012, 09:52 AM   #5
wildfowl4444

Might sound crazy, but what kind of oil are you using on the mag-tube? These guns were designed to be used with old fashioned grease.

Clean the tube, put a light coat of grease on it, and try it again. Might work. I have "fixed" a dozen guns this way.
Old March 27, 2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Salmoneye

You're supposed to start with your rings set to heavy, and no lube whatsoever on the mag tube...If light loads cycle, leave it alone...If they do not, then go to the light load setting of the rings...If it still will not cycle reliably, then Browning used to recommend straight 30 weight non-detergent oil sparingly on the mag tube...

None of this explains why it will not lift a shell with the bolt locked back when the button depressed...
Old March 27, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
charles isaac

Thanks Salmoneye and wildfowl4444. The gun fails to feed 1st round loaded manually wildfowl4444, but he has even tried a thin coat of regular old Hoppes gun oil and military "Grease, Rifle" on the mag tube.

Last edited by charles isaac; March 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old March 27, 2012, 12:25 PM   #8
charles isaac

Oh, I have used the gun too. It's a shame such a cool gun fails 1/2 the time.
Old March 27, 2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Shotgun693

Try changing the friction ring. You might not be getting enough 'push' back to the action. See if a local gunsmith is familiar with the Model 11. I no longer have my old set of directions but the most common failure on an11 is having it set for the wrong ammo. I used to have a Model 11 riot gun and loved it. Wish I still had it.