The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2007, 08:09 AM   #1
cajun47

found a bunch of lead but pure lead is too soft?

i dont think i'll go through the trouble and expense of adding tin to the lead. whats wrong with casting pure lead in 9mm and loading the rounds mildly? i would be shooting this in a beretta and ruger 9mm.

or can i just make buckshot with pure lead? would that work alright in a shotgun? if so where do i find buckshot molds?
Old June 17, 2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Sector001

The problem with pure lead is not being too soft, it doesn't flow very well into the mold. You'll get bullets with "wrinkles" in them. If you can get your hands on some bar solder, which is 50/50 tin lead, that will be a reasonably inexpensive way to add tin to the pot. I use about 2% tin in a pot of lead. Good luck!
Old June 17, 2007, 01:35 PM   #3
k Squared

Lead Hardness

Cajun,

If you mix your pure lead with wheel weights you can a good hardness for a 9mm. I would try a 50/50 mix of pure lead and wheel weights to start.

K Squared
Old June 17, 2007, 02:13 PM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
The problem with pure lead is not being too soft, it doesn't flow very well into the mold. You'll get bullets with "wrinkles" in them. If you can get your hands on some bar solder, which is 50/50 tin lead, that will be a reasonably inexpensive way to add tin to the pot. I use about 2% tin in a pot of lead. Good luck!
Sectors post is spot on! With as little as 30-1 tin, you can cast pure lead quite well. With a lube like the lee liquid alox, you could easily load semi-auto pistols with the bullets, IF they are sized to your barrels bore diameter. Undersized bullets are the main culprit in causing leading. Especially in revolvers, the powder gasses erode the side of an undersized bullet, depositing the lead in the bore. IF you go with a quick burning powder, you might get them to slug up,(obturate), to limit the leading.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 17, 2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Rimrod

Even a mild load in a 9mm using pure lead would cause fouling problems.

Lee makes a variety of round ball moulds for blackpowder that can be used for buckshot and there are also slug moulds by Lee and Lyman that can be used with pure lead.

Or if you like to fish you can use it for casting your own jigs.
Old June 18, 2007, 01:51 PM   #6
HSMITH

I have shot a BUNCH of pure lead bullets alloyed with just enough tin to get them to fill out in the mold, less than 1% tin. I have shot them in 38, 40, 44, 45, 45 colt and 9mm. Leading has been ZERO in the guns the bullets fit properly, for instance I have shot over 6000 of them between cleanings in a M19 S&W and the bore was still shiny.

Speed is a SMALL part of whether or not a bullet is going to lead the barrel.
Old June 18, 2007, 02:38 PM   #7
PeteQuad

On the other hand, muzzleloaders love pure lead and would probably trade you for some wheel weights or something
Old June 18, 2007, 05:37 PM   #8
crowbeaner

You could try your local scrap yard and see if they will trade for some linotype or wheelweight metal to stiffen up your pure lead. I doubt that they would charge much and might even trade even up. Just finished casting some 22 caliber slugs- had to quit because one of the wood handles broke in half from rapping on the opposite of the cavity to pop out the slug. They're only 30 years old. Just don't make stuff like they used to I guess.