The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 9, 2005, 08:46 PM   #1
You

Question about law enforcement.

Hello everyone, I have a question. In the future I would like to persue a career in law enforcement and maybe joining a SWAT team. I know it is not easy but are there some things that will make it easier for me to get in. How much time will I have to be a street cop? How much college should I do,and what kind of physical condition should I be in? Does serving in the military ( rangers, seals, etc.) help out.If anyone has any information that would be useful to me, please share.

Thanks in advance.

I know this isn't firearm related but I dont know of any other forums where I can get info on this subject.
Old March 9, 2005, 08:53 PM   #2
abelew

Run, run run run run run run run and run some more. Take some marial atrs if you want, but you need to be able to run your butt off, the rest just depends on the needs of the agency, your performance on patrol during your first few years, and who you know. Some people are made for it, some aren't, and those things tend to come out in a person.
Old March 9, 2005, 09:34 PM   #3
gxi.llc

The best advice I can give is to stay focused in school, and be careful never to do anything stupid that could end up on your record, like a DUI, public intox, possesion of controlled substances, robbery charges, etc. It may seem like common sense now, and it is, really. But if you really want to be a cop, now's the time to get your head on straight, not when the peer pressure is on. I did some stupid stuff a long time ago, and luckilly never got caught, but I have friends who never did what they wanted to do because of things on their record.
Old March 9, 2005, 10:10 PM   #4
Jungle Work

Get a four year college degree. Criminal Justice/History ain't that hard. Work for a mid-sized PD for Five Years or join the Military for four, then join some branch of the Federal Service. Federal Service makes a lot more money, gets more equipment, has less politics, and shoots, shoots, shoots and goes to some swell places.

Jungle Work
Old March 9, 2005, 10:49 PM   #5
seb5

I can't add much to the above posts. If you want to make good money, go federal. I believe in most areas(mine included) the local teams are much more active. We usually will assist the feds on thier search warrant if they need more manpower. Military service is a plus but not required. The high speed military units and SWAT don't really have much in common, except they are both the tips of thier respective and chosen spears. We have at times trained with several different fed teams and some military and there more differences than similarities. Different ROE, missions, etc. Most departments require 3-5 years street experience before you can apply for SWAT. You will then have a physical test, possibly written, oral board, and a murders row. Then you'll have lots of extra training, pager call outs whenever you don't want or expect them, a ton of gear to lug around, and lots of hours. The average SWAT cop starts at around 30 and the average age is 43, according to TTPOA. It's a thinking mans game and not how it is portayed. Maturity and experience are paramount. Good luck.
Old March 9, 2005, 11:04 PM   #6
You

Thanks guys.
Do any of you know of any schools that I can get a criminal justice/history degree in? I usually maintain good grades but lately have been slacking off a little, I guess I'll have to pick it up. I do not drink or use any type of drug or do anything that would get me in serious trouble. And one last question, How important is running? I'm not that good of a runner. I'm not fat at all but my legs are thick and strong, not the running type. I can train myself to run a little but probrably not to the extent of 5 miles at a time.

Thanks again
Old March 9, 2005, 11:16 PM   #7
w4klr

As said before, run run run. I got into Broward Sheriff's office when I was 22 (Did four years in the Corps). Swat isn't all it's cracked up to be, unless you are on LAPD. I tried 8 times before I passed trials, I've been on SWAT and Field Force (Riot Control... exists because of the 80's Cuban riots) since then.

Cool as hell though, I've got 6 class IIIs that are owned by BSO, so I don't have to pay the NFA Tax

Keep your nose clean, and you ambitions high, Criminal justice is no biggie. And since the Montgomery GI Bill isn't the greatest college incentive I've ever encountered, the department is paying 100% of my tuition to advance my degree. As far as martial arts... don't get into karate, jiu jitsu or anything... those are ring techniques (that you would use in competition etc) in my opinion. Krav Maga and Haganah are the ways to go, they teach three techniques: restrain, incapacitate or terminate your opponent. All of which I encountered training in whilst in the Corps and in early combat training. Good stuff...
Old March 9, 2005, 11:23 PM   #8
Bo Hunter

Quote:
Are you willing to give up that pension when guns are outlawed?
If not, don't go into lawenforcement, cause it's going to happen, and then you will be the bullseye.
Care to elaborate? I don't understand what you mean at all...
Old March 10, 2005, 10:46 AM   #9
TheeBadOne

Sounds like something that came from some tinhat
Old March 10, 2005, 10:59 AM   #10
Blind Tree Frog

Quote:
don't get into karate, jiu jitsu or anything... those are ring techniques (that you would use in competition etc) in my opinion.
1) If you can't reapply those same skills outside the ring
2) and/or if you are going to a school that teaches only in the ring techniques

you are in the wrong place all together. Also, since you mentioned Jiu Jitsu when you mean Judo it just re-enforces my opinion of your opinion.
Old March 10, 2005, 11:04 AM   #11
KSFreeman

You, the view behind the desk: physical conditioning is very important. Martial arts training would be a bonus, something like Qin Na, Judo, BJJ would be ideal (IMHO). Being a good cop is a combination of many qualities: honesty, good humor, patience, committment to professionalism, ability to make quick decisions, inter alia.

Of all the things not mentioned, I would stress the ability to write and organizational skills.

I wish you well.
Old March 10, 2005, 11:20 AM   #12
w4klr

Jiu Jitsu: An art of weaponless self-defense developed in Japan that uses throws, holds, and blows and derives added power from the attacker's own weight and strength.

Judo: A sport and method of physical training similar to wrestling, developed in Japan in the late 19th century and using principles of balance and leverage adapted from jujitsu.

I did mean jiu jitsu sir.
Old March 10, 2005, 12:22 PM   #13
haskell

Depends on what part of the country you are talking about. You can't use martial arts on a suspect,or you will get sued. That is why they provide you with pepper spray,baton, etc. I was told early on "we don't get paid to box,we get paid to win" Military service is a big plus. College is almost a must. Does not have to be completed before you become a Police officer. It is not as easy to get on the job, as some would lead you to believe. A written test,physical test, Strength test, psycological test Etc. Here in Massachusetts ,if you do not get close to a 100 on the written, you never get called for the rest. Don't let some the gunslingers on this site make it sound like a quick draw contest everytime you go to work. I did 30yrs in a medium size city. Drew the weapon many times,did not have to shoot anybody.I have a friend that shot one dead.NO DISCUSSION ON WHAT ****ING LOAD HE WAS CARRYING, DEAD IS DEAD. The sad part about cops who shoot people. Most get off the job within a couple of years. mental stress. The gun does stay in the holster most of the time. This is a fantasy site,not the real world. common sense will get you through. Think about, why would you have to list all the guns you own on every thread? GOOD LUCK
Old March 10, 2005, 01:02 PM   #14
Blind Tree Frog

Quote:
Jiu Jitsu: An art of weaponless self-defense developed in Japan that uses throws, holds, and blows and derives added power from the attacker's own weight and strength.

Judo: A sport and method of physical training similar to wrestling, developed in Japan in the late 19th century and using principles of balance and leverage adapted from jujitsu.

I did mean jiu jitsu sir.
Then I am curious as to what Jiu Jitsu tournaments you are aware of then? Granted, it is a popular style in many fighting competitions, but I'd hardly say that is qualification for it to have been designed for the ring. Effectively, there is no sport aspect to ju jitsu

Judo, however, has become quite the sport in recent history and most schools focus only on the sport aspect. Also, arguably, the reason we don't see Judo more in events like UFC is because they'd much rather go to the olympics.

And your histroy on Judo is a bit mistaken. It was, as you say, " An art of weaponless self-defense developed in Japan that uses throws, holds, and blows and derives added power from the attacker's own weight and strength" that was originally derived from jiu jitsu. The reason it is "softer" is because they had to change how the students were being trained. They decided that the whole "Training on the battlefield" approach that they were using wasn't quite as effective as they wished. Only in recent history did it start to focus on the sport aspect.

Also, the grappling styles have a nice bonus to them over other striking styles. It's a bit easier to restrain an opponent and cause them great deals of pain while taking little effort on your part and leaving few marks.