The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 29, 2009, 08:41 PM   #1
invisabill1958

stock help

hi guys I have my rifle apart and want to get shine back in stock I dont wont to strip it if I do not have to. any way around it it is walnut 95 years old any sugestions ?
Old March 29, 2009, 09:06 PM   #2
Chris_B

Stripping is not needed

Photos may help however as I cannot determine what is "wrong" with the stock as it is right now.

You want to start with gentle cleaners. Breaking out sandpaper is an extreme last resort that I've actually taken, but that stock saw military service and abuse. You will almost certainly be simply cleaning and re-oiling yours
Old March 29, 2009, 09:16 PM   #3
invisabill1958

it is not in to bad of shape a few dings and scratches has some wear on one side do not want to strip just get some shine on it the light is playing tricks on the pic it is pretty dull http://[/IMG]http://[/IMG] no military possative about that
Old March 29, 2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Chris_B

Well, it seems to need a cleaning.

Checkering may need touching up, and I do not know much about that except that you use a file.

Dings can be steamed out but that may also lighten the color of the wood in that locality

Is the stock oil-finished? or was there a varnish or something on it? Pics are small
Old March 29, 2009, 09:26 PM   #5
invisabill1958

I think it is oiled when you rub it with cloth brown comes off
Old March 29, 2009, 09:29 PM   #6
invisabill1958

I used some murphys oil soap with a lot of water. dulled it up more
Old March 29, 2009, 09:42 PM   #7
invisabill1958

when I took it apart there was gobs of like dried oil under barrel . the wood l on the inside where bolt and trigger look like stain or oil no shine at all where it dripped down if it was varnish wouldent there be chips? wood is real smooth
Old April 5, 2009, 02:37 PM   #8
bamafan4life

i like the grain on the stock they just dont grow walnut like they used to! but isnt that a double shotgun? or a double rifle?. did u purchase the rifle or was it it ur pawpaws? or fathers and u wish to presurve the dings and scratches? anyways id just go to the hardware store and get some tungs oil (clean the stock with rubbing alchohol first) poor sum of the tungs oil in a paper plate and put it on the tip of ur finger and rub it all over the stock then let it dry a day (dont touch it for 24 hours or else it will leave a finger print) then repeat it. tungs oil is the greatest thing since sliced bread in my opinion. great shinner/ sealer. then if there is sum ruff ness in the tungs oil gets a ruff wash rag and rub it out (may take sum time usually 30 min- a hour of hard rubbing) because steel wool will take off the thin layers of tungs oil real quick.
Old April 16, 2009, 12:35 PM   #9
invisabill1958

it off a jeffery,s 333 that was given to me from a lady I do work for I ended up using murphys oil soap to clean it then used boild linseed oil a cupple of coats when it cured I used butchers wax on it shined up nice here is a pic of it I did nop take any of the patina away