The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 11, 2015, 08:48 AM   #1
tallball

CZ70 Info or Advice?

Last summer I ordered a surplus FEG AP-MBP 32 semi-automatic pistol from AIM Surplus. It's a nice-looking pistol that shoots well (after a friend helped me take care of the magazine issues). My wife and daughter and mother-in-law like it so much that I doubt I will ever get to shoot it again.

I looked at the AIM Surplus site and they still had them in stock, so I ordered another one. A week or two later I got an email from AIM saying that they were actually out of the FEG 32's, even though they had been taking orders for them. They offered me a "deep discount" on another purchase. They did have something else I was interested in, but when I responded to the email it was completely ignored. That was disappointing.

But Southern Ohio Gun had some CZ70 32acp pistols for sale, so I ordered one. I picked it up yesterday (from my good friend Bill Anderson at "Call to Arms" in Denton Texas). Unlike the FEG, it doesn't seem to be based on a Walther PP. Is there anyone familiar with this pistol who has some thoughts or advice for me? It's not as pretty as the two-toned FEG, so I might actually get to shoot it sometimes. Here is a picture of it:

(As you can see, I haven't had a chance to clean it yet.)
Old January 13, 2015, 12:08 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Is there anyone familiar with this pistol who has some thoughts or advice for me?"

What exactly are you looking for?

I don't believe that the CZ-70 shares much in the way of mechanics with the PP/PPK.

Generally they have very heavy trigger pulls and an abundance of sharp edges on which you can cut yourself.

They're heavy, so there isn't much in the way of recoil.

Mine is as accurate as can be expected with minimalist sights and a heavy trigger pull. It's also been 100% reliable with hardball ammo; I've not tried hollow point ammo in it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 13, 2015, 12:17 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

I think the CZ-50 and CZ-70 were loosely based on the PPS/PPK design... but that's about it.

The early CZ-50 had some issues with metallurgy, and you'd find gauling on the underside of the slide. Continued use would lead to the gun not functioning, as the raised area got higher...

Mags are hard to find.

The CZ-50 I owned was a nice little gun that outshot a friends' PPS-- he was upset by that.

After the novelty wore off, I eventually sold it. It's really not THAT small, it's heavy, ammo is hard to find and expensive. Some folks find that their guns are very ammo sensitive, with some rounds not working. (I had that problem with some ammo in the CZ-50, but it wan't a big problem.)
Old January 13, 2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

"gauling"

You'll find some Frenchmen?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 13, 2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

LOL...

Should have been GALLING... (DUH)

(Sounded right to me as I keyed it in.... my mind's ear is about as good as my mind's eye...)
Old January 13, 2015, 06:00 PM   #6
Benton

I am a fan of the CZ 70.

The two I own have the heaviest triggers among the pistols I own. I cannot imagine firing a round without intentional operation of the trigger, even in the coldest of weather on my clumsiest day.

I think they are aesthetically attractive pistols, from the time when steel was the norm for all parts. The CZ 70 feels solid in the hand - and as mentioned - recoil is not an issue. Mine have been accurate as well. I am one of (what seems like) the dozen people on the planet that like small sights. They don't catch on anything going into, or out of, a pocket - and they don't muss with the lines of the pistol. As I said, looks are an important contributor to my affinity for this model.

Oddly, I have not been able to get full metal jacketed round nose ammunition to feed through my examples. They hang up before loading into the chamber. Hollow points, however, have been 100% reliable in operation.

These pistols may not be the "best" in any one area, but they have real character, quality, and can do everything one might reasonably expect of this type of firearm.
Old January 13, 2015, 07:59 PM   #7
tallball

Thanks everyone! I won't get to shoot it until this weekend. Yeah, the sights are small. I have heard that they prefer European ammo. Has anyone had experience with that aspect?
Old January 13, 2015, 09:04 PM   #8
Benton

Mine works very well with Fiocchi hollowpoint ammunition, but I have not tried enough of other makes to have an opinion on them.