The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 21, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Genepix

Night sight question

Just took my new Beretta 92FS to the range and loved it- very accurate. However, my aging eyes had a difficult time picking up the sights quickly- 3 rather small white dots against white targets against white background.

My local gunsmith suggested having Meprolight do the work to either drill out the old sights or install new ones ( not sure whether the stock sights are integral to the slide)..

I would like to hear others who might have gone this route or make other suggestions. Thanks in advance....
Old February 21, 2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Gaerek

This comes down to personal preference. I see XS Big Dots recommended for people with vision problems. Most night sights will be harder to see in brightish light than white dots, so that's something to think about. Truglo TFO (Tritium Fiber Optic) are about the brightest of the three dot night sights you can get. Hopefully that helps
Old February 21, 2013, 06:43 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

My input...

I'd look at the top rated Trijicon HD 3 dot system; www.trijicon.com .
I like the orange-green styles. They should be available for the Beretta M9/92FS series. The armed forces & D0D signed new contracts to carry Beretta pistols until 2016/2018 or so. After market parts & sights should be around for many years.
I'd look into a Crimsontrace lasergrip too. They are easy to carry-set up & you can use them for skill training or to aid marksmanship.
Crimsontrace offers a new 2013 free DVD to explain the product line & display lasergrip/laser-aiming tactics. See: www.crimsontrace.com .
I owned a slick Taurus Protector snub CT lasergrip in the early 2000s.
New green lasers may be available later in 2013 or early 2014.

Clyde
Old February 21, 2013, 06:58 PM   #4
timn8er

#1 on Trijicon. I've got them on my M&P40c & I like them a lot. I had a
Crimson Trace unit on a SW40VE. I would have to say it does help training
wise because you have to hold the pistol very steady to take advantage of
the sight. Its not like you see on TV!
Old February 21, 2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Biner

+1 for the Truglo TFO sights. I've got them on my M&P 40C and Shield 9. Love 'em. Very bright in sunlight, indoor light and darkness.