The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 28, 2010, 08:40 PM   #1
yggorf

Final pair of rangefinding binoculars

Over the years I have owned alot of binoculars. They have all been decent, but many other people have shown me even better ones. Now I'd like to own the final pair - fantastic low light performance, perfect optics, wide field of view, tough, and rangefinding capabilities (either via digital readout or reticle that I can determine range from). I'd like to say price is no object for this discussion, but I'm not interested in throwing money away for no purpose. I am interested in the best rangefinding binoculars out there, with a bit a value taken in.

Maybe you have looked through the best in an outdoor real-life situation, and can provide your recommendation? I assume the answer will be Zeiss, Swarovski, Leopold, or Steiner, but perhaps there is a dark horse out there?

Last edited by yggorf; February 28, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old March 1, 2010, 09:59 AM   #2
MadHatter1

Leica. Overall quality is similar to Zeiss, but a comprable models are a little less expensive (not that $2k is cheap). I have the 10x42 model with a 1300 yard rangefinder. The optics are crystal clear, and the rangefinder is accurate enough to call in airstrikes, assuming a good reflective target.
Old March 1, 2010, 10:50 AM   #3
thekyrifleman

2X Madhatters comments!!