The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 24, 2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Wallabing

Would this be safe to shoot?

My magazine extention tube surpasses the muzzle by 2 1/2 inches, would it be safe to shoot?
Old October 24, 2009, 07:50 AM   #2
John76248

I would think that is asking for trouble......not sure though.
Mine is just slightly past the barrel.

Last edited by John76248; October 24, 2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old October 24, 2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

I would be worried about the muzzle blast damaging the tube. I could be wrong (Ask my wife, I usually am ) but a lot of people do not realize what muzzle blast will do to something relatively close. Two cases in point:

1) My partner and I were participating in a simulated attack on a machine gun emplacement. Everyone was issued blanks and had the blank adapters on their weapons. As we over-ran the machine gun emplacement, the M-60 gunner swung the machine gun around. My partner put his hand up towards his own face, I heard him yell "NO!" and from about two - three feet away the machine gunner let loose. The muzzle blast was strong enough to blow a hole into his hand.

2) I had invited a friend down to hunt. The idea was he was to show up early, we would sight his rifle in and then the next day we would be out at dawn, stalking the great beast known as White Tail. Delays prevented him from arriving early and it was going to be dark soon when he arrived. There was just enough light to get out and do some quick shooting/sighting before nightfall. He laid the rifle across the hood of my truck and fired at the target. The muzzle blast busted the wind deflector on my truck. This was a .243 with a relatively light load.

I have to ask, what type of gun is it and why is the tube longer than the barrel? I do not believe I have ever seen anything like that. Could you post a picture?
Old October 24, 2009, 09:34 AM   #4
DanB

Uncle Buck: both instances you mentioned involved rifles, not shotguns. Much lower pressure.

Depending on the choke setup in the barrel you will be good to go. Check out some of the guns use in competitions. There are some setups that have magzines that extend 6-8 inches past the muzzle. By the end of the shooting stage the magazine is covered with powder residue but still 100% intact and functional.
Old October 24, 2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Uncle Buck

I learn something new everyday. I would have thought the shot from the shotgun would severely damage anything out front of it. Very interesting. I have tried to find pictures of something like you mention, but have been unable to.
Old October 24, 2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Lee Lapin

UB,

The magazine extension is PARALLEL with the bore, not in front of the muzzle. Shot won't spread far enough to begin to impinge on a magazine extension until it gets several FEET out in front of the muzzle. And the muzzle blast may leave some smoky deposits on the extension but certainly won't hurt it, unless maybe it's an ATI plastic one. Lots of the 3-gun shotgunners run extra long mag extensions that protrude in front of the muzzle by several inches with no problems.

I would definitely be sure and use a barrel clamp on it though- not because the extension isn't strong enough to take a bump, but the magazine tube threads it screws onto might not be.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 25, 2009, 05:14 PM   #7
12GaugeLosAngeles

Benelli sports models with 10+1 tubes have a ridiculous stretch passed the barrel, you will only see residue and gun powder fouling looking like gray ash covering what ever is near the muzzle cause of the gases. it's OK!
Old October 25, 2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Shpadoinkel

Would this be safe to shoot?

...if I have to ask myself, "Would this be safe to shoot?", I usually don't shoot it.