The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 3, 2001, 07:45 PM   #1
Burrahobbit

Which one would you pick?

http://www3.mb.sympatico.ca/~jhipwell/pm5.htm

which one would you pick for home defense and why?
Old September 3, 2001, 08:18 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Neither......

Contrary to some folks' opinions, I like new ideas, when they're good ideas and not just new. These are just new. Compared to my "serious" 870s, these come up short. And my old stuff is well behind the cutting edge these days.

A coupla things....

First, that box mag is too long for a low prone position, like a 30 round AK mag. A firearms design that requires being a bigger target to use it is not a step in the right direction. And, rimmed cartridges oft create jams in box mags. All it would take to tie this up would be for recoil to jump one rim while pumping. And, loading one specialty round means dumping a mag, inserting a different one, and hand cycling the action. Slower than stuffing one in the mag,or clearing the chamber and the round in the action, then dropping in a slug, breacher, etc..

Porting is basically for recoil control and quite controversial. Prob is, it increases blast and flash. My guess is that after the first shot with the 20" in a low light crisis, you're blind for a minute. The 14" bbl would be worse.

If kick is bad enough on these that porting is a good idea, that folding stock is a BAD idea. Smaller butt area=more kick. And, that style folder is harder to cheek. Remington recalled their first folders because they were cutting people.

Positive points? I like the sights. The mag release looks easy to operate. And, it's a pump gun.

Sorry, I think there's better alternatives, made by Mossberg, Winchester, and Remington.
Old September 3, 2001, 10:10 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Cost was not mentioned, but I find that two social SGs on oppostite sides of the house work better for me than one SG regardless of the $$$. Plan for your abode first, then select the hardware second..

Giz
Old September 3, 2001, 10:40 PM   #4
PreserveFreedom

Burrahobbit -
Welcome to TFL! If I had to choose between those two models as is, I would take the top one. Why?

1) I like the folding stock.

2) The 14" barrel on the bottom model makes for a lot of paperwork and fees as well as registration with BATF. I would go through that for a good carry piece, but not for a home defense weapon.

Also, as Dave mentioned, I am not wild about the box magazines. In a shotgun, I prefer a good old fashioned pump over a tube magazine.