The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 11:05 PM   #1
cogito

Fiocchi 9mm 115 grain "MC"?

"MC" stands for metal case, but has anyone bought this ammo?

Is it brass or steel, or something else?

Thanks.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:17 PM   #2
sigcurious

Never noticed the MC, but I've shot a bunch of Fiocchi 115gr 9mm(brass cased). I like it, my guns like it and it feels like it runs hot.(can't say for sure since I've never chrono'd it).

Where on the box are you seeing MC?
Old January 9, 2013, 10:01 AM   #3
carguychris

For some strange reason that probably has to do with clumsy Italian translation, Fiocchi sales literature often says "Bullet Type: Metal Case" to describe what American shooters normally call full metal jacket.

I've purchased .32ACP, .380ACP, and 9mm Para ammo from Fiocchi that was described as "Metal Case", and all of it had brass cases and FMJ bullets. Although I'm not in the ammo business, if Fiocchi even offers steel-case ammo, I've never seen it.

Check the actual package. Most online sellers should post a picture of it.

Last edited by carguychris; January 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: info added...
Old January 9, 2013, 10:06 AM   #4
spacecoast

Chris is exactly right, a better term might be "metal encased bullet"
Old January 9, 2013, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito:
"MC" stands for metal case, but has anyone bought this ammo?

Is it brass or steel, or something else?
The cartridge cases and jackets are 73/30 brass- no steel. I've shot it- it's loaded pretty warm.

My last chronograph session, using a Glock 17, gave me these results-

Fiocchi USA 9mm 115 gr. FMJ (9AP)

Hi: 1353
Lo: 1259
Av: 1298
ES: 94
SD: 24
n: 25
Old January 9, 2013, 06:01 PM   #6
wpsdlrg

Ignore the "MC" moniker....and substitute "FMJ". It is copper jacketed FMJ ammo, with brass cartridge cases. Actually, the bullets MAY be BRASS jacketed. I'm not sure....but the bullet (jackets) look like brass, not copper. No matter, anyway.

I've shot a ton of it.....it's great quality ammo. Very consistent, accurate and reliable....and VERY clean. It is my favorite commercial 9mm ammo, without a doubt.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpsdlrg:
It is copper jacketed FMJ ammo, with brass cartridge cases. Actually, the bullets MAY be BRASS jacketed. I'm not sure....but the bullet (jackets) look like brass, not copper. No matter, anyway.
You know, wpsdlrg, I have had the damnedest time with that- sometimes the jackets of Fiocchi FMJs look more like the bright yellow 70Cu/30Zn alloy, other times I'd swear that the jackets look more like the bright red 95Cu/5Zn alloy. I wonder if they switch alloy formulations based upon source.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:58 PM   #8
wpsdlrg

"You know, wpsdlrg, I have had the damnedest time with that- sometimes the jackets of Fiocchi FMJs look more like the bright yellow 70Cu/30Zn alloy, other times I'd swear that the jackets look more like the bright red 95Cu/5Zn alloy. I wonder if they switch alloy formulations based upon source. "

I have no idea....but I wouldn't be surprised. All I've ever seen are the brass - colored bullets, myself. But, there is a tremendous amount of cross sourcing for manufactured parts these days, so it is likely that Fiocchi, just like all of the other ammo makers of which I am aware, uses multiple sources for components.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:16 PM   #9
BerdanSS

I've shot CRATES of that stuff out of glocks, my Berettas and a few other 9mms. Also shot quite a bit of the same in 40 S&W It was always pretty good stuff for the price...little cleaner shooting and S&B too.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:40 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

I've shot it in 9mm and .357Mag and have always considered it to be a cut above the other comparably priced practice ammo. It is loaded hotter than most practice fodder, in my experience.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:57 PM   #11
nutty ned

Quote:
Never noticed the MC, but I've shot a bunch of Fiocchi 115gr 9mm(brass cased). I like it, my guns like it and it feels like it runs hot.(can't say for sure since I've never chrono'd it).
It is a little hotter----loaded to Euopean standards
Old January 13, 2013, 01:33 AM   #12
pumpkinheaver

Never seen any steel cased fiocchi ammo. Some of their stuff is loaded here in Missouri.