The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2012, 01:09 PM   #26
UtopiaTexasG19

In my world "bullets" are store bought and "Boolits" are home cast!
Old August 9, 2012, 01:46 PM   #27
ThisIsMySig

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy
It's slang plain and simple. Some english majors get their underwear in a knot about miss use of our great language. I say it's a way to differentiate between jacketed and cast. I have no problem with twisting the english language a bit, and I'm not even from the south! (Our sad lack of adequate smiles on this site does NOT have a smiley for just yanking yer chain)!
Oh, and you misspelled it------boolits, no hyphen.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know there was a site dedicated to cast bullets, oops boolits. A great new place for information.

Oh, and you misspelled "miss use". Should be "misuse". Unless you know some one named Miss Use.

NRA Member

Last edited by ThisIsMySig; August 9, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old August 9, 2012, 10:14 PM   #28
ROGER4314

I cast and sized my own bullets for years but got a weak moment and sold my gear. While I recently considered getting back into it, I can get hard cast bullets plenty cheap from a small local company and it's just not worth it.

Not correct. Are you kidding? I still have a bucket of wheel weight ingots in my barn. I used a cast iron cornbread mold for them so each looks like an ear of corn with "WW" stamped on each one.

Flash
Old August 10, 2012, 09:10 AM   #29
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Why do some call a bullet a boo-lit. Is there a difference? I haven't seen any reload data for a boo-lit. Do they shoot better than bullets? Do you only use them on Halloween?
As question has been answered anyway, I reiterate it's a slang term to differentiate between a cast lead and jacketed/plated ones.

After a lengthy discussion in the past, it's been decided to make sure "bullet" is used for both here. Long story short, if one can't understand reading in the context in the body of a post on which one is being discussed...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 10, 2012, 09:33 AM   #30
Rangefinder

Quote:
Hi Guys, I have been reloading since before most of you were born and I cast all my bullets from wheel weights. Now I don't suppose this is considered proper but I don't really know why. Can some one explain.
I don't suppose you'd like to elaborate on what isn't proper about being able to shoot any one of my handguns for and average of $0.05 a pop. I'm a follower of what works and what's practical. I really don't give much concern to what might be termed "trendy" or proper among the sheeple. And considering I get better performance and expansion from my own cast hollow points than any factory jacketed bullet out there, I'm not inclined to listen to any PC garbage.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 10, 2012, 09:50 AM   #31
ThisIsMySig

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane tuttle
As question has been answered anyway, I reiterate it's a slang term to differentiate between a cast lead and jacketed/plated ones.

After a lengthy discussion in the past, it's been decided to make sure "bullet" is used for both here. Long story short, if one can't understand reading in the context in the body of a post on which one is being discussed...
You are correct sir, my question has been answered by snuffy. Not being privy to the "lengthy discussion in the past", I had no idea what a boolit was or why the word "bullet" was distorted in such a way. I do now and as I indicated above, the word "boolit" now makes sense to me.

It's a funny thing about the spoken and written word. No matter how clear you think you are being, no matter how fully you understand the thought you are trying to convey, there will always be someone who does not understand what the author or speaker is trying to say.

But I do apologize if I offended your sensibilities in any way.

NRA Member
Old August 10, 2012, 12:13 PM   #32
Rangefinder

On that note, there's one thing on that topic that I find a little humorous. I am a frequenter of "castboolits", and have been using that "slang" for years. It's so ingrained in me that I caught myself using it in writing a note to my wife that I was "out in the shop casting boolits" one evening---as if she a) knows what the difference means, or b) really gives a darn either way...

Old August 15, 2012, 05:18 AM   #33
Miata Mike

Quote:
I get my lead nearly free. like a ton of indoor range lead, free for the hauling. We did have to pay gas to haul it 25 miles, then propane to smelt it into ingots, but all that cost $200.00 for 2,000 pounds of good lead.
Snuffy, you ever need help with something like that again I am just 20 miles up the road from you.

I am having a blast so far casting!
Old August 15, 2012, 07:39 AM   #34
salvadore

I've been casting for 40 years and have never once cast a boolit or smelted my wheel weights. 40 years.....Oh my God.
Old August 15, 2012, 09:56 AM   #35
Rangefinder

^^^Hahahaha^^^ 10,000 comedians out of work and you gotta chime in...

Old August 16, 2012, 08:34 PM   #36
GP100man

Been doing it since `83 ,so if it`s a problem we`ll deal with it !!

The only real fore seeable problem is actually finding WWs
Old August 19, 2012, 09:23 AM   #37
lwstarks

I think if the question of lead bullets vs jacketed being proper, I'd say that there is that elitism is the problem. I believe it is just plain stupid to pay crazy amount of money for 1000 JHPs when I could buy a couple 5 gal buckets of wheel weights and shoot a whole lot more.