The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 27, 2008, 02:48 PM   #1
kwhi43

Pistol Loading Stand

Hi, Here is our loading stand. I use a Lee powder measure. In the bottom part
is enough balls and patches for 300 shots.
Old August 27, 2008, 10:18 PM   #2
fastforty

Wow, that's a nice setup
Old August 29, 2008, 01:44 AM   #3
arcticap

I think the drop tube is a nice touch.
Old August 29, 2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Raider2000

That right there is a sweet setup, it has everything right at your fingertips.
Old January 13, 2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Cagedodger

Here's my version for a Ruger Old Army. Fits in my shooting bag.

Cage
Old January 13, 2009, 07:25 PM   #6
kwhi43

GREAT Job Thanks for posting. I like to see what others use.
Old January 14, 2009, 10:23 AM   #7
williamfeldmann

Is that your design or boughten

Cage,

Is that something that you made or bought? I like the addition of the hinge for folding. If you made it do you have plans for it, or did you kind of make it up as you went? I suppose something like that could be modified for any Colt or Rem design too.
Old January 14, 2009, 10:48 AM   #8
L'derry

That's a beauty. Looks hand made specifically for your gun, unlike the store boughten ones that are generic and don't fit any gun very well.

Nice job!
Old January 14, 2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Cagedodger

Thanks for all the kind words. No, I didn't design it. I saw one at a gun show for sale and thought, "I can make that." I have some rough plans showing measurements to fit a Ruger Old Army. I would suggest taking your black powder revolver and standing it up, barrel skyward, and taking a few measurements: (1)from the bottom of the grip to the centerline of the cylinder and (2)from the back edge of the bottom of the grip frame to the back of the rounded part of the frame behind the cylinder.

I used a 1-1/2" hole saw and then sawed through the middle of that. Maybe 1-1/4" would have fit a little better but what I built seems to work. I kind of freehanded the pocket for the back of the grip and carefully carved it out with wood carving tools. Work slowly and keep test fitting.

When you get the pocket how you like it, measure the depth and subtract that from measurement (2). That will be the height from the hinge to the lowest part of the round cutout. Make sure you fit the gun with the hammer at half-cock as it would be for reloading. I had to use a rasp to do some minor adjustments for the bump at the top of the grip frame and the hammer spur. Once you have that, you can set the gun on there and slide the vertical piece to match what you measured at (1). Mark a line for the edge of the vertical piece and install the hinge.

Although the finish is a bit rough, it holds the revolver securely. I tried wiggling it to see how much it would take to make it fall out and I shook it way harder than I thought it would take but it didn't fall out.

Cage

Last edited by Cagedodger; January 14, 2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:45 PM   #10
Phantom Captain

While nothing near as fancy as the original poster's here is the design my late father and I came up with a couple of years ago. I wanted something universal to fit all my cap and ball revolvers and not be too small or tight on one while too large on another etc. An idea, a bit of wood, screws, copper pipe, piece of leather, foam rubber and epoxy and this is what we came up with...

Old January 14, 2009, 11:20 PM   #11
L'derry

This is my store bought stand. It works fine, but as you can see from the photos, although it holds the gun well, the fit isn't that good. Now that I've seen how nicely cage's fits, I'll rework that slot to get a better fit. (I just had to get the other type of Remington into the picture too!)

Old January 15, 2009, 10:22 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

I have several different size revolvers to load, everything from a nine round LeMat to five round .31 colts. I bought a Triple P loader and it has worked out great. Works on all the size cylinders I have and the stop nut on the ram allows me to be very precise with my bullet seating depth. Helps with seating pressure when shooting triple seven. I have gotten some very consistent groups using the loader vs. ram.
Old January 15, 2009, 11:16 PM   #13
L'derry

madcrate,

I can see where the stop takes out the variability of seating the ball. I noticed that there are two cutout seats to accommodate different cylinders. Do the two cutouts allow all your cylinder chambers to line up exactly with the arbor?

The arbor on my loader is very slightly off center of the chambers for my '58 Remmie. It loads OK, but I have to keep adjusting it.

The one you have looks like a good one.
Old January 17, 2009, 01:23 PM   #14
madcratebuilder

Nine round LeMat or a five round .31 Colt all cylinders I have loaded line up perfect. The loader comes with different arbors that fit different cylinders. My LeMat uses the center barrel 16ga as the arbor so I set the cylinder in the cut out of the loader. Here is a mini review at gun and games.
Old January 17, 2009, 04:20 PM   #15
kwhi43

Mine

OK, I started this thread with my photo of my single shot loading stand. Here
is my revolver stand. I load out of a small plastic fishing tackle box. Thanks guys for your postings. I love to look at pictures.