The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Sriracha

Advice for newbie: compact reloading setup?

Hi everyone,

A newbie question: is there a good reloading setup that can be dismantled after each use and stored in a space that would fill half of a Xerox copy paper box? I live in a city studio apartment and have very limited space.

Details:
-I'm only interested in reloading .38/.357 for now.
-Budget is up to $200.
-Will shoot around 200 rounds a month.

I was thinking of a Lee anniversary kit or a Classic Turret kit from Kempf, but wasn't sure how practical these would be to dismantle each time.

Thanks,
Sriracha
Old January 10, 2009, 09:37 AM   #2
F. Guffey

Sriracha, Lyman made a kit, all the equipment stored inside a metal case when not in use, the press mounted to the top of the case when in use, the user stabilized the box by placing a foot inside the box to hold it down, 'Bo' has one for sale, he has 8 tables + at the Market Hall (Dallas) and Big Town gun show (Mesquite, TX.).

F. Guffey
Old January 10, 2009, 09:40 AM   #3
F. Guffey

the metal case is close to being the same size as the 1.5 cu. ft. box used for paper.

F. Guffey
Old January 10, 2009, 09:48 AM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Lee kit single stage presses have 3 holes where you bolt it down. You could bolt it to a board (countersink the nuts), and then clamp it to a sturdy table or bench. That would make it portable. Another thing to consider is how much room you will have. You will find reloading to be no fun if you don't have adequate room. Accidents happen when you are "cramped". Just my thoughts.....good luck though!!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 10, 2009, 11:32 AM   #5
dwhite

I live in a small house and don't have room for a regular press. I bought a Lee Hand Press and have been very happy with it. I load 38/357 and 40 S&W on it. If you want small and easy to store this is the ticket. Press was $20 from Cabelas. Lee dies were about $25 I believe for 40 S&W. I've had mine a little over a year. Probably loaded 4000 or so rounds with it

I can do about 50 rounds per hour on this set-up.

Try one out. I'm sure you'll like it.

All the Best,
D. White
Old January 10, 2009, 12:19 PM   #6
The Terminator

+1 for the Lee Hand Press Kit. Get one for 38/357, and you will need nothing else. You will also need a set of dies with a shell plate. That will get you started. It fits in a small box. The cost is $34.99 at Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=624416

Dies:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=418312

With this setup, you are started in reloading for less than $70, except for brass, bullets, powder and primers, all consumable materials.

I have a Lee hand press. They are strong little tools. Even if you upgrade, you will always find a use for this little press. Nothing cheap about it, I have resized and loaded 45/70 rifle rounds with it. It didn't even grunt.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)