The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 15, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
jasmith85

What to do with a EAA Witness P Compact 10mm

I once again have bought a gun on Gunbroker mostly because it was quite a bit cheaper than I've seen one in my area. As the title says, it is a new in box EAA Witness P Compact in 10mm. Including shipping and the transfer fee I will have $345 in the gun. I do not currently own a gun chambered in 10mm but I also don't really have a need for one. I originally was thinking about keeping it so I would have something in the caliber but a mixture of high ammo prices and a seemingly numerous amount of stories about cracked slides in these guns has got me to contemplating selling it without firing it.

I currently have 3 options I'm contemplating on this gun. Those options are:

1. Leave it unfired and sell it - I believe that in my area I could make around $50 over what I paid
2. Trade it - I've already had an offer of a very good condition 6" Ruger Security Six in 357 for it
3. Keep it and hope this one doesn't have the slide cracking issues I keep reading about

What would you folks do if you were in my shoes? I don't like getting rid of a gun as soon as I acquire it but I also don't want to get stuck with a gun that will require a ton of warranty work just to get it to work like it should.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:46 PM   #2
ripnbst

Make $50
Old November 15, 2012, 11:36 PM   #3
bitttorrrent

My Dad used to carry a glock 21 i think - in 10mm and he thought was the best thing ever.

He reloads, but I would not really want a 10mm. Nothing wrong with the round, just not very popular.

I would sell it and get something in a different round. I don't think it will ever be popular.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Skans

For $345, I'd keep it! It's a good gun.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:08 AM   #5
sgms

If you do not want it sell it or trade it for something you do want. As long as you don't lose money on the deal you come out on top. The EAA Witness's are really nice guns, at lest to the 8 people(myself included) that I know that have and shoot them regularly. As to the 10m/m it has good reviews and a lot of acolytes but, not a fan myself your call on that one.
Old November 17, 2012, 01:52 PM   #6
LarryFlew

Just for reference the slide issue was quite a few years ago so not likely a problem with your gun.