The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 14, 2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Bear! Where? Right here!

This was taken at the restaurant in the Chisos Basin of Big Bend National Park. Typical size for bears in the border area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdj9nBQ9CtY
Old August 14, 2009, 04:33 PM   #2
comn-cents

I find that a bit scary. If he wanted to push on that glass hard enough he just might have one of them for dinner. Maybe I'm to cautious?
Old August 14, 2009, 08:10 PM   #3
jrothWA

Does it appear that there is...

some froth hanging from the lower jaw???

Ranger may have use rubber shot to keep him away.
Old August 14, 2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

That is terrific! Froth in the mouth? Just a hot bear. It is hot this time of year in Big Bend.

Of all the times I have been to the Basin, I have never been in the restaurant. Apparently, neither has the bear.
Old August 14, 2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
I find that a bit scary. If he wanted to push on that glass hard enough he just might have one of them for dinner. Maybe I'm to cautious?
Not to worry, no shirt, no shoes, no service, the bear wasn't allowed inside.

Seriously they have incredibly sensitive noses and go where the food is. The fact that he went right up to the window means people had probably been tossing food to him from that walk and he came back for more. To many people just can't help themselves from feeding the cute bear and are completely oblivious of the fact that they are making problems for the bear which can lead to his death and for innocent people the bear chances upon and expects to be fed by them.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 14, 2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Yellowfin

I'd say he volunteered to be dinner.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Update

Several of us drove up to the restaurant this morning for a breakfast gathering. The manager told us that a larger bear had been along for the visit; it was too big to get between the railings. The two have been seen halfway regularly in the recent month or two.

No, nobody is feeding them from the sidewalk. They're attracted by the smells from the kitchen. Dumb bears. I noticed that on the opposite side of the building, the kitchen is far more readily accessible.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:12 AM   #8
MLeake

Feeding animals...

... can have bad results. Luckily, sometimes those bad results don't get past the comical stage.

One time, I was canoeing the Wekiva River in FL. At one point, where the river really narrows, I became aware of three begging raccoons. I suspect people had been throwing them scraps. Not being one to toss food to the wildlife, I didn't, so the little guys started pursuing me along the riverbank. One even went so far as to range ahead, and climb out on an overhanging branch - looked like a boarding action. I waved my paddle up near him as the canoe drifted under, and he opted not to jump down after all, but I was quite impressed by their tactical innovation.

Another time, when I was a baby (so while I was there, I really only know the story because my parents told me about it later) my dad proved a few things: 1) don't ignore the signs at Federal parks that say "Don't feed the bears." 2) If the bears are some distance away, and you feel you should get out of your truck in order to throw food to them - don't do it. 3) If you ignore 1 and 2, do not proceed to throw round food items, such as oranges and apples, uphill to the bears....

I love my dad, but he is great in the role of abject lesson from time to time.

Last edited by MLeake; August 16, 2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
The two have been seen halfway regularly in the recent month or two.
The bear pair?