The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 9, 2009, 10:04 PM   #1
guitarguy

License Refused.

So I sent out my C&R application on the 18th of April. I have been anxiously awaiting the license in the mail, and to my extreme dismay I check the mail a few days ago and found my unopened envelope containing my m.o. for $30 and my application....

The adress of the BATF was scribled out with a marker and it had a red stamp on it from the post office. The stamp had a bunch of check boxes for different reasons and it was checked REFUSED.

Any ideas?
I tried to call the BATF and got them after hours. I am really bumbed out though. I thought I had maybe a few weeks left till my license came in and I could start buying!

Any ideas on why it would be marked REFUSED...? Not wrong adress, missing info, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance
Old May 9, 2009, 10:27 PM   #2
RamSlammer

It would seem your envelope rather than your license application was refused. Probably was misaddressed and received in the wrong section of BATFE. The licensing center moved from Atlanta to West Virginia late last year. The correct address is:
FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSING CENTER
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405
Old May 9, 2009, 11:18 PM   #3
jhammer

Awww shoot. Mine will probably be sent back then because I didn't use that address. Mine had a sheet of paper that said something about a new P.O. Box to send it to in Atlanta.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:12 AM   #4
snipecatcher

No worries, I used outdated info and sent mine to Dallas first. It's crazy that they move around as much as they do.
-Dan
Old May 10, 2009, 12:24 AM   #5
huchahuchax

Quote:
Awww shoot. Mine will probably be sent back then because I didn't use that address. Mine had a sheet of paper that said something about a new P.O. Box to send it to in Atlanta
I sent my application to Atlanta and got my license in Feb. It took about a month or so, and they had to send me two because they screwed up my address on the first one.
Old May 10, 2009, 02:37 AM   #6
BobbyT

Ruh-roh. I used the old form AND sent it to Dallas. It's been about a month now so I'm REALLY hoping it'll show up soon as opposed to starting over and waiting half the summer.

snipecatcher, did yours get bounced back when you sent it to Dallas? Or did they process it?
Old May 10, 2009, 10:03 AM   #7
TEDDY

ATF

interesting that martinsburg address.Thats where OWS is located.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:41 AM   #8
guitarguy

Yep. I guess I used the info off cruffler.com (which may be old enough to qualify as a C&R itself!)

So... The Martinsberg WV adress is definitely the current one?
I already re-enveloped it using the Atlanta adress and had it ready to go before RamSlammers post.

The BATF website is not the easiest thing to navigate - can anyone verify the correct adress to send in the application?

Thanks
Old May 10, 2009, 10:43 AM   #9
ckerst

I just got my license. I mailed the app to Atlanta and part of it was returned because I didn't initial the check boxes. I made the correction and sent it back to the Martinsburg address, the license arrived 2 weeks later. All in all it took about 6 weeks.
Old May 10, 2009, 05:17 PM   #10
RavenLunatic

Sent mine in at the first of April to the Atlanta PO box. Received my license yesterday (May 9) Let the shopping begin!
I have killed mothers with their babies. I have killed great philosophers, and proud young warriors. I have killed the evil! And the good! The intelligent. the weak and the beautiful. But it's been a while since I slayed a room full of petty bureaucrats.
Old May 10, 2009, 07:24 PM   #11
snipecatcher

Quote:
Ruh-roh. I used the old form AND sent it to Dallas. It's been about a month now so I'm REALLY hoping it'll show up soon as opposed to starting over and waiting half the summer.

snipecatcher, did yours get bounced back when you sent it to Dallas? Or did they process it?
The USPS just sent it back with a big "return to sender" label on it. No big deal. When I got it back I just called the BATFE number and requested they send me the correct form. The info on the Cruffler website was helpful, but someone should really just do away with the address info on there.
-Dan
Old May 10, 2009, 08:41 PM   #12
tbinder

SELF CERTIFY as US citizen

I just sent in to re-new my C&R and the certification for being a US Citizen was incorrect. You are to SELF CERTIFY - how stupid is that.... I had my friend sign and the form was return saying that I needed to sign it.

I hope to get my renewal in a week or so.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:54 PM   #13
zxcvbob

I sent mine to Atlanta about a month ago. They cashed the check right away but I haven't heard anything yet. I figure a few more weeks.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:39 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

The general practice with government agencies is that they will forward mail to the new address for a while or until it begins to take too much time from their real duties. After that, they will just refuse it and let the post office return it.

Jim
Old May 11, 2009, 11:05 AM   #15
jhammer

Well, mine must have been sent to the correct address because they cashed the check today.
Old May 11, 2009, 11:15 AM   #16
KLRANGL

Quote:
So... The Martinsberg WV adress is definitely the current one?
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/fflc/about.htm

Quote:
The Federal Firearms Licensing Center address is:
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405
We may be reached by phone during regular business hours at:
1-866-662-2750 (Toll Free)
Our fax number is:
1-866-257-2749 (Toll Free)
Our e-mail address is:
[email protected]
Good thing I saw this thread. My C&R is going out this weekend
Old May 11, 2009, 12:40 PM   #17
zxcvbob

I've got a copy of the current form right here. On the back it says to mail it (and $30) to PO Box 409567 in Atlanta. And at the bottom of the same page it says to send inquiries to the Martinsburg, VA address.
Old May 11, 2009, 01:47 PM   #18
jhammer

I sent mine to the PO Box in Atlanta.
Old May 12, 2009, 04:14 AM   #19
madsenshooter

Got you all beat

I sent mine to Atlanta in Sep of last year. There were some things the FBI and NCIC turned up, arrests not convictions. I had to come up with the final disposition. Problem is, they sent the letter telling me that to KY, I live in Indiana! You ever try to get information on charges dismissed in 1976? A disorderly conduct for falling asleep in my car in front of girlfriend's house and my knee hitting the horn. Anyway, I think the clerk has been down in the basement quite awhile looking for that one. I been waiting 6 months and saw many a good C&R deal go by. After waiting 5 months I sent them an email and learned about having to come up with paperwork from the courts. 3 down, one to go, the least and oldest of the lot. Maybe soon.
Old May 12, 2009, 08:21 PM   #20
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can pretty well guarantee no one was "in the basement" looking up anything. The PD that arrested you for that "grievous offense" entered it into their computer and never cleared it, so it went to the feds and continues to show up today. In some cases, folks have had to get an attorney and go to court to remove arrest records that resulted in dismissals or non prosecutions.

The FBI is under a lot of heat from an anti-gun AG to "enforce the law", so we can expect more of that kind of CYA - when in doubt assume the worst.

Jim
Old May 13, 2009, 04:38 PM   #21
madsenshooter

Not many computers in 76 Jim. But if I remember correctly this is one of things I had to get a waiver for when I joined the Air Force in 78. Maybe it found its way into a computer then. I'd pretty much bet the clerk is in the basement on this one. They have dockets on their website, but only back into the 90's. I was a clerk in the AF in the late 70's, early 80's, we were still using electric typewriters, and a navigator introduced the first computer to us, dot matrix printer. Boy filing those forms out now a days would be a breeze!
Old May 14, 2009, 03:18 PM   #22
BobbyT

Sent mine in a month ago, but I used the old form and mailed it to the old Dallas P.O. Box.

Called ATF the other day and the woman told me to resend, but to the Atlanta address because that's where their bank is (?). I hesitantly sent it there and not WV. Hope she knew what she was talking about because I wanted to have my C&R by now, and I'll certainly be ****** if it ends up being half the summer.

What's the most recent someone's used the Atlanta box and been accepted?
Old May 14, 2009, 03:53 PM   #23
zxcvbob

I sent mine in in April (to Atlanta) and they cashed the check on 4/28 so I know they got it. Still waiting for the FFL.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:08 AM   #24
jhammer

I sent mine there a week or two ago and it was cashed pretty fast.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:52 PM   #25
gandog56

I believe I sent mine to Atlanta, but that was a year ago January.