The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2008, 01:32 PM   #1
kristop64089

Isn't it best to have your scale level before you weigh?

I am a reloading noob, so bear with me. I am assembling all my components, I recieved as a gift, a used RCBS 5-10. I was reading the destructions, and noticed, it doesn't address leveling the scale, as the beam lays.

I work with "level" all day, I see this as causing a false reading. Should I level the scale(where possible) then take my reading.

I also noticed my powder pan was full of shot? is this right. How do i know if I have enough. Since these are calibrated, this has to be important. Is thee a shot count, or a preloaded deal I could buy if needed?

Oh the questions will be rolling in, the further I get.
Old August 22, 2008, 02:49 PM   #2
lll Otto lll

Quote:
I recieved as a gift, a used RCBS 5-10. I was reading the destructions, and noticed, it doesn't address leveling the scale, as the beam lays.
Sure it does. It's in the section "How to Zero Balance The Scale"

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...structions.pdf
Old August 22, 2008, 02:55 PM   #3
SDC

Yes, the scale must be zeroed on a level surface in order to get a reliable reading; they use the shot in the pan to ensure that all the pans are a given specific weight, and the "zero" is taken from that weight.
Old August 22, 2008, 04:07 PM   #4
kristop64089

I'm missing that page, thanks.

So do I zero with the pans on the arm, or without? I would zero with them on, but just checking
Old August 22, 2008, 05:25 PM   #5
PCJim

Kris, you zero your scale with an empty pan sitting on the hanger, and with all weight indicators set to their zero position. I, too, strongly recommend you read a couple of different reloading manuals, or one manual a couple of times over before beginning reloading. While a safe hobby when performed correctly, it can be disasterous if you are not completely sure of what you are doing.
Old August 22, 2008, 07:07 PM   #6
wncchester

The lead shot contained in the pan hanger are coarse "leveling" compensators. You should not have to change them but it's possible you might.

Leveling to get the beam correct is always done with the pan in place, that's the only way we can weigh the powder itself.

Use the screw at the left end of the scale body to make the beam pointer rest at zero on the left end.

You will find it much easier to read your scale accurately if you place it on a shelf about nose high rather than on the loading bench top.
Old August 22, 2008, 07:30 PM   #7
mikenbarb

Kris, Get your level out, Find a perfectly LEVEL FLAT spot(or make one)and then zero the pointer on the beam so it meets perfectly with the "0" line on the end. Make sure everything(the weights) is set to zero so its perfect every time before you use it or it could be a bad thing if you dont. If unsure of the scale, Have someone show you how and its a good idsea to verify its calibration with another one. Dont mess with the lead shot(unless you have to) and use the scale body adjustment to zero the beam. I always keep my digital next to mine and check accuracy of both against each other. If one is off, I know something is wrong with one of them.
Old August 22, 2008, 07:34 PM   #8
1goodshot

Any slight draft on the pan will effect the zero ( like when your ac turns on)so put it on stable platform thats draft free and check your wieght several times.
Old August 22, 2008, 08:22 PM   #9
LHB1

I think this business of the scale base being perfectly horizontal is "much ado about nothing". If you set the scale on any reasonably level bench top and zero the pointer, your weights should not be adversely affected. Now if you set the scale on a 45 degree slope, there might be some error induced.

Place your scale on bench, zero pointer, and weigh the check weights that come with the scale and see if they are off. Now do the same thing on a perfectly horizontal surface and see what happens. Choose whichever method you prefer.
Old August 22, 2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Hawg

It doesn't have to be perfectly level just don't move it once zero is achieved. Zero it with pan in place and empty with both scale weights at zero position.
Old August 22, 2008, 09:34 PM   #11
mikenbarb

It doesnt have to be perfect but its the best to have everything including your bench as level as possible. So long as the pointer is on Zero.
Old August 23, 2008, 02:01 AM   #12
blu97

level

I use a flat piece of 1/2 " plastic with 3 leveing screws and a round bubble level to give me a base for my scale.
Works great and makes sure everything stays the same.
Old August 23, 2008, 04:39 AM   #13
DWARREN123

Level and out of air flow such as a A/C vent. Zero and check each time before using and a check weight would be nice.
Old August 23, 2008, 07:01 AM   #14
crazylegs

Here's a leveling platform I threw together for mine:
Crazylegs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE001.JPG (153.1 KB, 117 views)
Old August 23, 2008, 08:17 AM   #15
kristop64089

Everythng's good here guys. I'm just double checking with the board to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I know it's hard to believe, but I am actually pretty handy, but this whole "explosive" element has mee keeping myself in check.
Old August 23, 2008, 09:08 AM   #16
mikenbarb

Crazylegs, Great idea and nice scale, I just got the same one and love it.
Kris, Im gonna put something in the box for you with the other things. Its a suprise.LOL.
Old August 23, 2008, 12:19 PM   #17
joneb

Here's my leveling platform http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...1&d=1211508095
I needed to elevate my scale and thought it would be cool if it could be leveled because my bench is not.
I forgot to add, I still zero the scale before before establishing a charge weight.

Last edited by joneb; August 23, 2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old August 23, 2008, 11:44 PM   #18
snuffy

Quote:
I think this business of the scale base being perfectly horizontal is "much ado about nothing". If you set the scale on any reasonably level bench top and zero the pointer, your weights should not be adversely affected. Now if you set the scale on a 45 degree slope, there might be some error induced.
You're kidding, right? It's absurd to ignore gravity. It's gravity that you're using to measure powder. If the gravity is presented at an angle, no matter how small, it induces an error into the measurement. NOT having the surface the scale sits on absolutely level is a basic mistake. A leveling plate should be used, the adjusting points should be in a triangular configuration, with 3 points. Getting a 4 point platform stable is an age old problem.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 24, 2008, 04:52 AM   #19
123kiwi

Quote:
I know it's hard to believe, but I am actually pretty handy, but this whole "explosive" element has mee keeping myself in check.
Kristop, that "just in case" has saved my ass many a time, dont ignore it!!!
Old August 24, 2008, 07:22 AM   #20
kristop64089

What I did was make both my loading bench, and work table level. then I set zero, wiehed a control object, and marked the footprint.

I then went to my bench and checked it with the same weight, It turned out perfect. I'd say I am good.
Old August 24, 2008, 02:52 PM   #21
LHB1

Quote: "You're kidding, right? It's absurd to ignore gravity. It's gravity that you're using to measure powder. If the gravity is presented at an angle, no matter how small, it induces an error into the measurement. NOT having the surface the scale sits on absolutely level is a basic mistake. A leveling plate should be used, the adjusting points should be in a triangular configuration, with 3 points. Getting a 4 point platform stable is an age old problem."

No Snuffy, I am not kidding. Nearly 45 years of reloading has proved to me that setting a scale on a workbench that is 3-4 degrees off dead horizontal will not affect the accuracy of a beam level to a significant degree if the beam is zeroed beforehand. Nobody is disputing the laws of gravity, just recognizing the reality of practical results.
Old August 24, 2008, 05:20 PM   #22
snuffy

Quote:
Nearly 45 years of reloading has proved to me that setting a scale on a workbench that is 3-4 degrees off dead horizontal will not affect the accuracy of a beam level to a significant degree if the beam is zeroed beforehand.
Well, not to belabor a point, I still think I'm right, why not just level it? As far as your experience goes, I started loading in 1963, you do the math.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 24, 2008, 05:26 PM   #23
WSM MAGNUM

Quote:
I was reading the destructions, and noticed, it doesn't address leveling the scale, as the beam lays.

No wonder, you`re reading the destruction manual.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old August 24, 2008, 11:25 PM   #24
joneb

I'm a little apprehensive about mentioning this but I when I mounted my powder throw I took care to make sure it was plumb
I look at it this way; it sure doesn't hurt anything.
Old August 25, 2008, 12:14 AM   #25
Swampghost

Just for fun...how level is level?

In the past, I set up machines that made air bearings. I have gravitational reference units and laser levels that will measure to 0.00001. That's pretty close to 'level' but not perfect.

Back to reality. Put a marble on your benchtop and if it sits there you're good. If not, shim the legs until it does. It's how Dad always checked my countertop installations.

That damned marble! It's still in my pocket and raising he** on others.