The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 17, 2008, 04:41 PM   #1
James Kain

Maine Coyote Hunting, beginer here

I live in Maine and there is becoming a increasing problem with coyotes. I v had a interest in coyote hunting and am now starting in to the hobby. I was wondering if there was anyone with experience calling in the Maine woods? What to do and what to advoid?
Old July 17, 2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Frank207

Hey James,

To be simple about it, You have to put your time in even if your baiting..

When it comes to calling in a wooded area soft calls will work the best. I dont care for the e-collars, but thats just me. Some guys like to move from spot to spot every 15 min.... I like to stay put and the next night I will go some other place. I also use alot of deer stands that people leave up.(never during deer season) in the winter keeps your scent off the ground. Snow and scouting are big also hereing them howl at night.

I shot this nice male early spring of this year
Old July 17, 2008, 07:39 PM   #3
James Kain

Scent

I picked up something called "predator bomb" by buck bomb to cover up my scent. I haven't used it yet just been busy. I got the idea from a article in predator xtream. I really enjoy the mag with all its interesting info and take things for face value until I can try things my self. With in reason that is. I need to get out there again at some point and scout more. I have a few places the land owner says he has photos from trail cams. Now the green is out in full I need to get out and really pound the ground siting for prints, scat, kills, and bedding/dens.
Old July 17, 2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Frank207

For more ideas go to Predator Masters forum Im over there too. Great site theres a few Maine guys there