The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 22, 2006, 11:31 PM   #1
vicvic

ak trigger group removal

i am using a punch to try to knock out the pin but it doesnt budge. is there something im missing
Old September 23, 2006, 06:58 AM   #2
sleeping dog

It's been a while since I dismantled my SAR-1, but I seem to remember a "J-spring" or something inside, fitting into a slot in a pin. That has to be removed first. I don't remember which pin(s) it holds.

Then, I think one end of the pin is bigger than the other. You have to push on the skinnier end, drive it out the "big hole" side.

Google "AK Forum" and you might find some good instructions.

Regards.
Old September 23, 2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Here's a site with full disassembly, and diagrams showing the "Shepard's Hook" trigger assembly retaining wire:
http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/comp/comp.html

Here's an ever better site:
http://www.gunsnet.net/linx310/fcgremoval.htm
NOTE: this is for the Rumanian rifles, and on these rifles, the hook is remove FORWARD. MOST rifles have to be removed to the REAR.

This wire varies somewhat, but basically, it's a wire "hook" on the LEFT side of the receiver that wraps around the trigger pin, then goes forward and UNDER the hammer pin.
The pins have grooves which the wire interlocks with holding the pins in the receiver.

IN GENERAL (it varies) you use a punch or screwdriver to push the forward "leg" of the wire DOWN from the HAMMER pin, then slide the hammer pin out.

(Note: the pins have a groove the wire locks into. The groove tends to get hung up on the thin receiver, and unless you get it aligned properly, the pin will not come out.
DO NOT hammer or try to drive the pins out, you'll RUIN the receiver. They AREN'T "stuck" the groove is catching on the receiver sides).

After pressing the wire down and getting the hammer pin out, push BACK on the FRONT leg of the pin to get it to unsnap from the trigger pin, then remove it from the receiver.

Depending on the version of the wire, you may be able to push the wire back and remove it before the hammer pin is removed.