The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 27, 2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Mauser Model 98

Frontier Rifle Kit .50 cal Flintlock

Hey guys,

I'm new to black-powder hunting, and I'm wanting to try out assembling a kit. I've been looking around and found the Traditions Frontier Rifle Kit .50 cal Flintlock, and I wondered if any of you have had experience with this one? Is it a good, or bad kit? If it's not so great, then do you have any other suggestions in this price range? I'd prefer a flintlock.

Thanks for any answers,
Rylan
Old December 27, 2014, 04:10 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've no experience with the Traditions Frontier. However, I did build their Trapper Pistol. If the quality of materials is the same, I'd avoid it and go with a Lyman Great Plains Rifle kit instead.
Old December 27, 2014, 05:20 PM   #3
FrontierGander

Go for it! They call it a kit for a reason as its what they start off as before they assemble them.

I dont think they make the frontier anymore, thats most likely an older kit gun/ Should be fun.
Old December 28, 2014, 12:28 AM   #4
swathdiver

Not directly. Take your time though and be sure to thoroughly read the instructions and examine all the parts before you do anything else.

My daughters really enjoy shooting their CVA Frontier rifle and it's quite accurate too. The CVA model is essentially the same as the Traditions.
Old December 28, 2014, 06:20 AM   #5
Old Stony

The percussions work good, but I've seen a lot of problems with their flinters. I would guess improperly hardened frizzens. it's hard to find a kit with a properly hardened frizzen with the proper geometry to work right. The Lyman would probably be your best bet out there in kit form at this point.
Old December 28, 2014, 07:37 AM   #6
Hawg

+1 on the Lyman.
Old December 28, 2014, 08:37 AM   #7
Mauser Model 98

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the feedback! So it looks like I've got more people recommending the Lyman. I found it at Buffalo Arms for a cheaper price than at Track of the Wolf, but I wasn't sure if Buffalo Arms is a reputable source. Should I get it from them at a cheaper price, or should I go with Track of the Wolf?

Thanks
Old December 28, 2014, 11:51 AM   #8
Pahoo

A labor of love and worth your time.

Quote:
I wasn't sure if Buffalo Arms is a reputable source.
Although I personally have not dealt with Buffalo Arms, I see no reason why they would be less reputable than anyone else. I'm a conservative and I guess that make me cheap. Heck, It's a Lyman and a darn good choice. ....
Quote:
Take your time though and be sure to thoroughly read the instructions and examine all the parts before you do anything else.
Great advice and this is where a lot of folks go wrong. There are kits that are finished and there are great finished kits. Doesn't take a trained eye, to spot the lesser. I have gone back and refinished a few kit-guns...

Whenever I assemble a kit, I first try to put it together to a functional condition. Then I take notes on where the problems are and what needs finishing. Also, at this time, you can define any embellishments you might like. I then take it all apart and "finish" it. As you progress in this project, check in with the forum with any questions or problems. .....

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 28, 2014, 02:30 PM   #9
l.cutler

I did get a black powder revolver from Buffalo Arms, only deal I had with them but I have no complaints.
Old December 28, 2014, 08:53 PM   #10
Mauser Model 98

Hey guys,

I found the Lyman Great Plains Rifle for an even better price at Midsouth Shooters. Any experience with them?

Thanks
Old December 29, 2014, 09:13 AM   #11
Roaddog

Yep they are a good outfit to deal with.
Old December 29, 2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Pahoo

Go for it !!!

Quote:
I found the Lyman Great Plains Rifle for an even better price at Midsouth Shooters. Any experience with them?
Great news, all around !! .....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 29, 2014, 06:38 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

MidSouth Shooters' Supply - use to order from them all the time when back in the '70s and early '80s.
Old December 30, 2014, 12:38 PM   #14
swathdiver

Track, Mid South and Buffalo Arms I wouldn't have any problem recommending. Order from them all and no problems ever. Same goes for Dixie, Possible Shop and Jedediah Starr Trading.