The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 15, 2005, 01:22 AM   #1
Joint/Strike

Churchill Gunmakers

I have a custom rifle that was handed down to me by my father, It has a Churchill barell chambered in .308 (ordered from England), a Fajen stock (ordered form Sears & Robuck) and a Mauser action. It was built in the late 60's to early 70's.

I have contacted Churchill and they said all of the ledgers for their bolt action rifles were either not recorded or are lost.

Can you give me some information on the rifle and about Churchill please.
I would also like to know how much the gun might be worth.

Thank You.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own dwelling, his goods are safe." -[B]Luke 11:21
Old June 20, 2005, 08:32 PM   #2
HunterTRW

The only Mauser-type bolt-action rifle manufactured by E.J. Churchill in caliber .308 Win. of which I am aware was their "One of One Thousand" model manufactured in 1973 for Interarms' 20th anniversary. Despite the model name, only 100 were actually made. Prices for this specific model, complete with 24" barrel, French walnut stock, swivel recoil pad with trap, and trap pistol grip cap might range from a high of $3,500 to a low of $1,000, depending upon condition. Since yours appears to be a hybrid I would not hazard a guess at how much it might be worth. My best advice is to consult a knowledgeable high-end gun trading firm like Griffin & Howe in New York. You may reach them at 908.766.2287.

As for the manufacturer, Edwin John Churchill established his gunmaking firm in England in 1891. His son, Robert, took over the company from his father, and earned international fame as a ballistics expert and as the creator of the famous (or infamous, depending upon your point of view) Churchill model XXV shotgun. Churchill merged with Atkin Grant & Lang (another fine English gunmaking firm) in 1971 and remained part of them until 1980. Some time after that, Don Masters, who at the time was running E.J. Churchill Ltd., licensed the use of the name from the Harris & Sheldon Group of Companies. Harris & Sheldon owned the rights to a number of gunmakers' names. Incidently, Mr. Masters authored a definitive history on Churchill titled The House of Churchill published by Safari Press. The ISBN is 1-57157-218-X.

Churchill lives on, and you may contact them today via their Website at www.ejchurchillgunmakers.com.

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and good shooting!