The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 13, 2013, 12:52 AM   #26
cmdc

I'm definitely going to scope it. I'm liking the 1-4 scopes. SaxonPig's RSI looks really svelte.
Old August 13, 2013, 01:04 AM   #27
cmdc

I might add that I also have a No.1 6.5 Swede that I scoped with a 3-9 Nikon. I know that the No1's are spotty in the accuracy department out-of-the-box, but this rifle will puff crows at 150 yds with regularity. It shoots 1moa with Norma factory ammunition, which is good enough for me. I hope the 7x57 does as well.
Old April 14, 2014, 08:46 AM   #28
nitro-express

Ruger #1: Scopes and ammunition.

Lots of good replies, and I'd like to post my own experiences. This is my son's rifle. When we got the rifle it had offset rings and a compact variable scope on it. This wasn't a very practical set-up, loading was difficult because the scope was very close to the chamber. It's hard to mount a scope far enough back, so that you don't have to creep up on the scope to get close enough for a good sight picture. Choosing a scope is important, and the choices are somewhat limited. We chose a fixed power because they are usually trimmer than a variable. This leaves the breech a bit more accessible. We also choose rings that were fairly high for the same reason. The last criteria was the length of the scope and the position of the turrets. With the turrets forward, it allowed us to mount the scope towards the rear, for a good "fit".

Testing has been far from extensive, but Federal load 7B is accurate in our rifle. (140 gr Speer Hot-Cor)

A good handload, Lyman #48 as source, is 40.5 gr of Varget, with a F210M primer, in a reformed W-W 6mm Rem case, and a Nosler Solid Base (lead tip, pre plastic) bullet. (recent shortages have us scrounging for brass) 6mm brass is not an ideal candidate for reforming to 7x57, and I don't recommend it. I mention it because these cases are light, 172 gr. and their capacity is larger than some other brands of 7x57 brass. Also, other manuals list 37.5 gr as max with 139 > 140 gr bullets.

The scope in the picture is a PECAR, 2 3/4, selected because it "fits" better than anything else in my scope drawer. The RSI, with it's short barrel, isn't really designed as a long range rifle, nor is the 7x57 an ideal long range cartridge, and 2 3/4 seems to suit our usual hunting situations. Also, lower powered scopes tend to be easier to aim, when shooting offhand, and where we hunt, a rest is a rare luxury.
Old April 15, 2014, 08:24 AM   #29
Flatbush Harry

I have Leupy VX3 2.5-8x36 scopes mounted on my Rugers (6.5x55, .270, .308)...they are a perfect match for the short, light rifles. Also, frankly, they are powerful enough for any hunting situation I'll face with those rifles.

FH
Old April 15, 2014, 11:55 AM   #30
jrhilde

One of the two #1's I had in .204 Ruger would not shoot well at all, even with some adjustments made by a professional gunsmith, but the other was super accurate--I've also owned two different number one's in 06 that shot real well so my experience has been that the majority of the no 1's shoot well---as to the scopes used, all were Bushnells due to the fact that the Bushnells have a standard length or longer rear tube section and the best part was that their rear eyepiece was often considerably longer than the Leupolds and Burris's--I mounted all of mine with the Ruger offset rear ring so that "creeping" up the stock was eliminated---seems that if the rear of the scope is directly above the center of the low part of the top edge of the stock then the amount of "eye relief" is correct---one more point that I always like to mention, when you see photos of the dead Elephant or Cape Buffalo, pay attention to how often the rifle leaning against the animal is a number one ----