The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 28, 2010, 05:37 PM   #1
chasman

1860 army or 58 rem?

Ok so now that im totally hooked with my 51 Navy brass I would like to get a steel frame model. Im looking at the 58 Rem 5 1/2 barrel or the 60 Armywith the 8 inch i think , both by Pietta. I want to eventually get the conversion cylinder to shoot the cartridges. Which one would you guys recommend. thanx. This is the fun part.
Old January 28, 2010, 06:37 PM   #2
mykeal

Both are fine guns.

This is a personal choice - like Ford or Chevy, or the Patriots or the Saints, etc. We can't possibly provide you with anything other than our own personal biases, which certainly don't apply to you. The only thing I think that's relevant is that eventually you'll have both, so just pick one.

That said, my vote is the 1860 Army. Very well balanced and shoots very nicely. But then, so does the Remington...

Oh, heck with it. Get an ROA.
Old January 28, 2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Hawg

60 Army
Old January 28, 2010, 10:05 PM   #4
horseman308

I haven't shot the 1860, but I love my 1858, also by Pietta. I've got the .44 Army with the 8" barrel. Everybody says the 1860 handles more naturally than the 1858, so maybe that's something the think about. If you can handle them both then that could help you decide. The things the led me to choose the 1858 for my first C&B were:

-I liked the top-strap design that makes it stronger
-I liked how you can swap out the cylinders very quickly and easily without taking it apart
-I have always just liked how it looks the best

That said, I've had so much fun with it that I'll certainly try to get more. Probably an 1860, as well as an 1851 and probably anothe 1858 so I can have one for each hand!
Old January 29, 2010, 01:49 AM   #5
Smokin_Gun

I like both Revolvers, but I'd pick the Remington, I likeum a lil' more :O) ...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old January 29, 2010, 05:34 AM   #6
Raider2000

Like Smokin_Gun I like my Remies more but I have a bunch of others as well.

If you can get to a store that has both where you can handle em, try em both on how they feel in your hand like the grip & balance because those are the factors to think about on your first one.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Just in case you were hanging by your teeth for another opinion

I like handling my Colts. I like cleaning my Remingtons. I like shooting my ROAs.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Noz

You should find someone that has both and try them. They do not handle the same.

An example: 1851s are too small for my hands, 1858's hammer sets too high for me to shoot duelist comfortably, 1860s are perfect.

If you like the 1851 then you will probably like the 1860. Grips are interchangeable within a manufacturer. (Ubertis and Piettas don't mix)

The Colt clones will normally shoot longer between cylinder wipe downs than the Remingtons
Old January 29, 2010, 10:58 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

If your going with a conversion cylinder get the Remington.

On the original Colts with the Richards-Mason conversion there was a problem with the frame cracking at the bottom of the recoil shield due to a change in recoil pressure points. The crack would happen at the bottom of the recoil shield and the trigger/bolt screw holes. There is reduced material in this area. I don't know if replicas have this problem or not. They may not because of better steel.
Old January 30, 2010, 08:34 AM   #10
toolslinger

Entirely depends on your hands

I own both. The '60 Army fits (I got big mitts) the Remmie beats my #2 finger. I plan on getting a '51 Navy but am already looking for a beater '60 to steal the grip frame off of cause I don't like my pinky hanging off.
Old January 30, 2010, 11:29 AM   #11
TomADC

Don't own a 1860 but have (2) 1858's in .36 and just bought another 1858 in .44 so I lean toward them, I also have (2) 1851 I like a lot.
Old January 30, 2010, 12:05 PM   #12
dlon21

To me the 1860 feels great to shoot, though I've got a hard time seeing the sights properly. The 1858 feels sort of strange in my hands.. I have small hands and fingers and maybe that's the problem. Has anyone else had the same experience?
Old January 30, 2010, 12:42 PM   #13
flatheadsal

PM sent
Old January 30, 2010, 03:40 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

chasman - good luck with your decision - you've got a hard one to make! I only have Navy calibers - '51 & '61 Colt Navies and the Remy in .36 - I like the feel of the Colts but I also like the Remy - my hands are smaller though and I think that has a lot to do with it. I'm sure that for some of the fellows on here that have hands the size of hams, they would feel different to them as far as grip, pointing,, etc.. My Remy is Pietta and it is finished very nicely and I am impressed with the quality of it - I got it last summer. My Colt Navies are older - one an ASM and I don't really know who made the other. Some have posted some really good advice - if you can get the opportunity to handle both the Colt and the Remy, it will probably help you make up your mind. As you already have discovered, BP Revolvers are "habit forming". BP revolvers are like fine women - some like brunettes, some like blondes and some like redheads - unfortunately, I like 'em all! Good luck in your quest and I'm sure that whatever decision you make, you'll be happy with it and have a lot of fun - which is what it is all about! Have a good one! Sincerely, bedbug
Old January 30, 2010, 05:25 PM   #15
ClemBert

Hmmmm, well....you have a Colt style revolver already. Why not diversify and get a Remington style revolver now. I have both an 1851 Pietta and a 1858 Uberti. Both are fine revolvers. My buddy has the 1858 Pietta in 8" barrel from Cabelas and its a nice firearm for the price he paid ($189).

I'd vote for an 1858 based on your input. The Remington design allows for much easier and quicker cylinder change out when reloading with that conversion cylinder. Just ask Clint Eastwood in the movie Pale Rider
Old January 30, 2010, 05:34 PM   #16
chasman

thank you all for the advice its just what I needed to make up my mind and feed my addiction. Ill be heading to Cabelas (again) in a couple of weeks and thanx to all of your responses as far as I know Ill be coming home with one of each. I figure I might as well get them now before the prices go up again. After looking at one of my old cabelas books (2005) I wish I would have taken to this back then. Better late than never I guess. Thanx again and happy shootin . CW
Old January 31, 2010, 08:51 PM   #17
bedbugbilly

chasman - I love it when a feller has plain old good common sense! All of us that answered your thread obviously never thought of the concept that you ought to buy one of each! That way, you really can compare the two and see which you like best . . . . I have a feeling though, that you'll love both of 'em!

Now I have to get myself in to the same mind set . . . . I've really been wanting a '49 Colt Pocket . . . . but then I think the little Remington Pocket is pretty too . . . . now that we all tried to help you out chasman, if you're married, can you possibly advise those of us that are how you sold your wife on the idea of getting two? Inquiring minds want to know . . . .

Good luck with your new pistols and have fun!
Old February 1, 2010, 05:52 PM   #18
chasman

Well I guess I should come clean>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A couple years ago she was bugging me to get another dog since the one we had had recently died. So I took off work and the 2 of us drove all the way to St Louis to pick up a puppy about 15 hrs one way. We hit a massive snowstorm on the way back, It was a bad one lots of wrecks all around us. We had to hole up in a motel room for 2 days, (with an eight week old puppy). When we finally made it home she expressed her gratitude and said that I should be given an award for the whole event. I told her I didnt want an award all I wanted was to never be hassled about hunting or collecting guns again. To this day she has held true to her word. I guess I took the ball ran with it on that one, but for all of you that are married you certainly now know why. And now you know the rest of the story!!!!!!!!

Last edited by chasman; February 1, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old February 1, 2010, 07:42 PM   #19
Hardcase

Chasman, you did it right - if you're gonna go, go big!
Old February 1, 2010, 07:43 PM   #20
bedbugbilly

What can I say chasman? You're a good man . . . and you've got a good wife! All kidding aside . . .. I can relate to that as I've been blessed with a wonderful wife for 38 years that puts up with me and my hobbies . . . and I do with hers as well. Sounds to me like that pup of yours is pretty blessed with the both of you as well! Good luck with your pistols and enjoy!
Old February 1, 2010, 08:01 PM   #21
Wobble

I have both, but if you plan on getting a R&D conversion cylinder, I think the '58 Remington is better suited -- easier to install/remove cylinder -- no need to take the gun apart as is required for the Colt.
Old February 1, 2010, 09:24 PM   #22
craiso

Just got my convertion cylinder in the mail today for my '58. Dropped right in the frame with no problems, I could not be happier with it.
Old February 2, 2010, 12:41 AM   #23
Gatofeo

Both are fine designs.
The Colt is better balanced and points more naturally.
The Remington has a far better sight picture for target work. Its design is stronger than the Colt, but this point is moot because we're talking black powder pressures anyway.
And both designs are strong enough for the mild loads used in the cartridges employed by their conversion cylinders.
For the first-time .44 user, I'd suggest the Remington. The sight picture is better, so you'll be more accurate with it.
But I won't completely sell the Colt short; it too can be amazingly accurate if you keep the wedge in tight.
I have both designs, as well as an 1851 Navy, 1862 Colt, a Remington in .36 and a Remington .36 target model with modern, adjustable sights (sold by Navy Arms in 1973; a rare bird).
You may wish to look at the Remington in stainless steel; it's more forgiving if you get lazy about cleaning right away.
Colt made 2nd generation 1860 Army revolvers in the 1980s of stainless steel. I saw one, and a stainless steel 1851 Navy, in a gun shop in Tacoma, Wash. I couldn't afford it at the time.
How I wish I had thrown BOTH on plastic and paid the piper later!k
The Colt 2nd generations in stainless steel are rare critters, not often seen today.
After all my rambling, I have to agree with the others: get both. You won't be disappointed.
Just be sure you get steel-framed guns and not brass-framed guns. They're almost always better made than brass guns, and they can take the full loads that strain brass-framed guns.
Use .454 or .457 inch balls, real FFFG black powder, and a greased felt wad twixt ball and powder. The slightly larger ball, when rammed into the chamber, creates a wider bearing band for the rifling to grip, which may aid accuracy.
Read my sticky at the top concerning cap and ball revolvers. Tons of good info from me and others in that post. Print it out and refer to it often.
You'll be miles ahead of me in 1970, when I began shooting cap and ball revolvers and had almost no direction.
Old February 2, 2010, 01:34 AM   #24
Smokin_Gun

Im looking at the 58 Rem 5 1/2 barrel

Chaseman look no further , get the Remington this time get the 1860 Colt next time especially if you want to shoot a 6 shot cart conversion in the .45Colt magnitude....

Yup Raider2000 I be a Rem Man that has alot a others.... :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old February 2, 2010, 11:53 AM   #25
Jbar4Ranch

The 1858 looks too modern for my tastes, so I went with 1860's. On the other hand, swapping cylinders out on the '58's is fast & easy and the top strap/recoil shield design greatly reduces the chance of a cap jam.

SASS 47015