The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 6, 2010, 10:33 AM   #1
tmeyer

Help determining age/model of J Stevens Arms & Tool shotgun

Hi and thanks for taking a look!

For the past 20 years, I've held onto a J Stevens Arms & Tool 12 gauage pump shot gun that was once my great-great uncles. I'm trying to determine the age, model (and hopefully value), but there a very few markings on the gun. Other then J Stevens name, it has "Chicopee Falls Mass USA" and "Browning Pat Feb 7 1905 Aug 27 1907" on the backside of the action, it's got "full" on the back of the barrel (presumably choke size), but that' it. I've spent hours searching the internet with no luck on the gun, but I did find this fourm and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks
Old August 6, 2010, 08:01 PM   #2
PetahW

My WAG is that the shotgun is most likely either a Model 520 (slight humpback in receiver), or a Model 620 (an improved 520 w/streamlined receiver).

Unless it's a Trench Gun, they're usually worth under $200 in excellent condition.

Old August 9, 2010, 09:16 PM   #3
tmeyer

Thanks PetahW. Based upon your insights, and some additional searching, it appears to be a the Model 520. Still doing research on the age as there are different variations of the safety inside the trigger guard. I've seen on version that looks like a push button, but the one I have is a slide version. Thanks again for the help.