The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 5, 2005, 11:42 PM   #1
armed samurai

trigger control

hello all,

i was wondering if anybody here has some tips for increasing triggger control to provide a smooth squeeze as opposed to a pull? thanks for all of your input.

armed samurai
Old April 6, 2005, 02:10 PM   #2
Duxman

My SF friends tell me that even the best pistol champs dry fire everyday and practice a lot in their homes (with either empty chambers or snap caps) BEFORE they go out into the range.

The key is practice.
Old April 6, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3
fastforty

It helps to switch back & forth from live firing to dry trigger presses while at the range. Also, for revolvers load 3 or 4 rounds and close the cylinder without lining it up in any special way, for semi's load several mags with varying numbers of rounds & don't look at how many are in the one you are inserting. Not knowing when you're going to get a click instead of a bang (& look real foolish flinching) helps a lot in that department.
Old April 7, 2005, 12:41 AM   #4
Avid Concealer

Basically I just stick to slow, steady, smooth. I when I am shooting for extreme accuracy I like to pull the trigger nearly to it's firing point and hold it steady in that position until I am sure I am where I want to be on my target, then I simply complete the motion while letting the shot surprise me.
Old April 7, 2005, 02:42 AM   #5
Blue Heeler

Get more finger through the trigger. Let it it sit in the first joint of your trigger finger - if your finger won't reach, move your whole hand around. Shooting two handed means it doesn't matter if your arm isn't in line with the barrel. Try it and see,