The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 16, 2010, 04:10 PM   #1
bswiv

Gators are getting smarter......

Louann and I spent the first hour of the Florida gator season getting soaked out on the north end of Lake George. We would not have been out there had I not told a SMALL lie.

As we were launching the boat we could see a storm moving in from the west and Louann asked if the raingear was in the boat. In answering "yes" I neglected to add....."in the OTHER boat".

By the time the heavy stuff started coming down & she realized that the raingear was not in THIS boat we were a mile from the ramp and it was to late to turn around. The yelling subsided about the time the rain did.

With calm restored, both meterologically & domestically, we had about 30 minutes of light left to look for gators. Sadly the area we had picked was also high on the list of about 8 other boats. Sense we were there first, the rest of them having sat out the storm at the ramp, we got left alone.

Did not do any good though as we saw only 3 gators before it got dark and not of them cooperated. Put the boat back on the trailer at 8:30 with the plan being to go back a little before sunrise.

Sunrise (Monday) found us about 15 miles down the lake in a big cove.....all alone. In fact we saw only one airboat out there and he was running in.

Made runs at 5 gators, all of which headded for the depths while we were still 100 yards out. Darn things are learning!

Managed to snag two, one of which pulled off. The other one, 9' 5" and about 200 pounds came aboard at 7:35.

I will venture to say, based on what we've seen while scouting and what we've seen happening over the last few years, that the gators will be hard to catch this year in our area. The St. Johns and its associated big lakes here in the NE part of the state will the tough......

And this afternoon the ugly part of gator season starts.......cleaning them.

Old August 16, 2010, 04:47 PM   #2
markj

That gal kinda looks like my first wife, she was Canuck and could beat most men at arm wrestling all 95 lbs of her. We hunted and fished a lot, till she got bone cancer.

Nice gator, do you eat them or sell them?
Old August 16, 2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

I doubt the gators are getting any smarter, but then again, they didn't leave the rain gear in the other boat.
Old August 17, 2010, 04:32 PM   #4
bswiv

Double Naught Spy:

"but then again, they didn't leave the rain gear in the other boat"

Nice of you to notice that........

And I do think that in reality you are correct in that they are not actually getting smarter but rather the ones, at least the bigger ones, that we are seeing are possessed of a greater degree of natural warieness. It's why they are still around......and I think it may be something that will get passed on to the next generation.

Not learning but rather natural selection is what you are saying and it's right I think.
Old August 17, 2010, 04:37 PM   #5
DiscoRacing

nice catch... how much meat do you get off one that big??
Old August 17, 2010, 04:43 PM   #6
bswiv

MARKJ:

We own a seafood business and consequently can get a cleaning permit from the state. In fact we do contract cleaning of gators for other hunters during the season.

We sell most all the meat in our retail markets, a little of it going to some of the local restaurants.

As for the hides......that is a sore issue. Last years hides were shipped to La. and will probably NEVER be heard from again. We'd of been better off to have skipped the whole scraping, salting & shipping and just thrown them in the trash! Just makes me sick.

Market is not much better this year so I just don't know what we will do.

In fact it is bad enough to where we are refusing to take hides in trade for cleaning as in the past. We're even offering a reduced cost cleaning where we just rip the hides off, which saves us a lot of time but which also leaves the hide a mess.

Not a way to make money........but lots of fun.
Old August 17, 2010, 04:45 PM   #7
TheGoldenState

How do you catch alligators? Ive seen on tv Africa hunts, they shoot the crock in the head and send out a handful of natives (crazy) to drag the animal back. How does it taste?

That thing is a monster, good work!
Old August 17, 2010, 04:53 PM   #8
bswiv

DiscoRacing:

Meat yeild from that one was ( I actually have the paperwork in front of me. ):

26 pounds of legs......yes we sell the legs, with the feet still on.
27 pounds of ribs.......yes they are good.
6 pounds of jowel meat
13 pounds of body meat
43 pounds of tail & backstrap

We sell the legs and ribs in the market at .99 cents.

The rest of the meat averages about $7

Takes two guys 21/2-3 hours to do the whole thing up properly.

Me and Louann spent about 10 hours, counting driving which was 6 hours of the time, catching him.

Permit cost $275 and it's good for 2 gators.

We really miss the hides being of value in the equasion.

As I said.....not a way to get rich.
Old August 17, 2010, 05:08 PM   #9
DiscoRacing

Quote:
How do you catch alligators?
Figure of speach.
Old August 17, 2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
And I do think that in reality you are correct in that they are not actually getting smarter but rather the ones, at least the bigger ones, that we are seeing are possessed of a greater degree of natural warieness. It's why they are still around......and I think it may be something that will get passed on to the next generation.
If it is a matter of experience, then that will not be passed on to the next generation. That would be what is called an acquired trait. Acquired traits do not pass from generation to generation by genetics.

We had this same discussion about deer getting smarter...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=smarter+deer
Old August 17, 2010, 06:10 PM   #11
bswiv

I think we are on the same page.......

I agree that if they have LEARNED ( experence ) then that does not get passed on.

What I actually think is happening is that the ones whos genetics predispose them to be NATURALLY more wary are the ones that are still out there.

That predisposition to warieness, if it is genetic, I would think should pass on.

In any event the big ones that are still up in this area of the state are far more dificult to catch than they used to be.

Hopefully the FWC will heed the letters some of us have sent and reduce the number of permits on some state waters for at least a couple of years.
Old August 17, 2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Right, but that is assuming a genetic predisposition of wariness above and beyond what has already become part of the 'gator's genetic makeup. With some 5 million years of virtually no change and nearly hunted to extinction, I would be hard pressed to believe that the 'gators are going to be genetically evolving in a manner with such mental change that you would recognize it in your lifetime.
Old August 17, 2010, 08:33 PM   #13
bswiv

Right again.....it would be very hard to measure.

I think it's searching out answers to these kinds of questions that keeps those in the various natural science deciplines interested in their work. I always thought that if I'd been a faster study I'd of really liked that sort of work.

As it is I have to settle for figuring out how to hunt, fish and keep a seafood market running so that the bank and the government are happy.
Old August 18, 2010, 12:45 PM   #14
Scorch

bswiv-
How much would a good gator hide sell for (tanned and ready to use)? I have been interested in one for a long time, but 20 years ago I could not justify the cost. If the cost is lower now, I might be willing and able to justify it.