The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2012, 02:28 PM   #26
sweetshot

Thanks guys, I'll try the claydot after I burn through the 8# keg of clays. I'm about 85% 1oz. loads with a few 7/8 (skeet) and 1-1/8 (trap doubles 2nd shot).
Old February 6, 2012, 02:42 PM   #27
BigJimP

1oz of shot is plenty on Trap doubles ....even on Continental Trap .../ save yourself some money on shot...and try some 1oz loads and see how you do. ( especially if you load 1 oz of 8's ...its a real versatile shell ..in my opinion).

7/8 oz is plenty for skeet ...and even for Trap singles out to the 20 yd line...

Price of shot ... and recoil ...durability of our shoulders, hands, wrists, etc ...has caused a lot of us to look at lighter payloads.
Old February 6, 2012, 05:47 PM   #28
sweetshot

Hey big Jim, I already shoot 8 shot. I'm thinking you're onto something. 'Specially with the price of everything. I just paid 130 bucks for the 8# Clay keg and shot was around 40 bucks a bag.

What grains do you load with 7/8 and 1oz loads using Clays, and what hulls/wads/primers? I've got a million AA's, and I've been using DRXL-1's for 1oz and WAA12L for 7/8. (Nobody seems to carry DRXXL 7/8 size in bulk around here). 209 winchester primers....

Summer, I do shoot handicap and our squad is typically at 20 to 23 yards depending on the weekly score, so I still like the heavy 1-1/8 with heavier powder load for that, but that's only 4 boxes a week.
Old February 6, 2012, 07:05 PM   #29
BigJimP

I use Duster wads ( Green Duster for 1 oz ) ...and I only load Rem STS or Rem Nitro hulls in 12ga...( win 209 primers ) and at 18.3gr of Clays for a shell that is about 1225 fps....in 8's.

I just load the one shell for everything in a 12ga ....for skeet, sporting clays, trap, or whatever....( I used to load about 6 different velocities, and some in 7/8 oz, some 1oz, some 1 1/8 oz ...etc ....) ...but quit about 5 yrs ago... ( I don't load 9's or 8 1/2's or something different for Skeet either ...) ...I just stay with the 8's for everything in a 12ga ( I do load some 9's in 20ga for skeet and some 8's for sporting, etc / and I only load 9's in 28ga and .410 ) ....

If the 1oz of 8's will break Continental Trap targets....they'll break single trap targets out to the 24 yd line real well too ....now I might be tempted to load some 7 1/2's if I was shooting beyond the 24 yd line....( but I'd still stay with 1 oz of shot ).

I don't think getting away from 1 1/8 oz shells ...hurt my scores one little bit ...over the years....less recoil = better focus on the target...and way less abuse on the body in a long 4 day tournament where you might shoot 200 or more shells a day ...

Tomorrow I'm going to my club with 6 boxes of 12ga ( all 1oz 8's ) and 6 boxes of 28ga 3/4oz of 9's and a couple of Citori XS Skeet model O/U's ...I'll shoot the 12ga / but if my shoulder hurts or I get tired of the 12ga...I'll shoot my 28ga instead...( and I would not be surprised if my scores are better with the 28ga ...)...
Old February 6, 2012, 07:09 PM   #30
oneounceload

Quote:
I just paid 130 bucks for the 8# Clay keg
OUCH! I bought mine for $99 delivered

Quote:
What grains do you load with 7/8 and 1oz loads using Clays, and what hulls/wads/primers? I've got a million AA's, and I've been using DRXL-1's for 1oz and WAA12L for 7/8. (Nobody seems to carry DRXXL 7/8 size in bulk around here). 209 winchester primers....
Gamaliel and Graf's typical have them in stock. As to the 209's, go with NobelSport, Fiocchi or similar - MUCH cheaper than Winchester
Old February 6, 2012, 07:27 PM   #31
BigJimP

The last 8lb keg I bought was about $ 110 or so ....

prices do vary a little accross the country ....I just deal with local guys .
Old February 6, 2012, 07:45 PM   #32
oneounceload

CLAYS is running about 110 to 120, but CLAYDOT runs at a promo price, typically about 99, making it worth the effort to get. Mine come delivered on the distributor truck that delivers the targets to the club, so we save on shipping and hazmat
Old February 7, 2012, 10:24 AM   #33
sweetshot

Hey Oneounce, thanks! Are the Noble, Fiocchi, and other 209's interchangeable with Win 209's? I know that Federal 209A's usually call for a minor recipe change with different wad or powder drop.
Old February 7, 2012, 10:34 AM   #34
oneounceload

As far as I am concerned, they are. i would not mix the hot magnum primers or certain ones from federal or CCI necessarily. but Nobel Sports are an exact sub for Win 209 and most folks feel the same about the Fiocchi 616 - basically any "regular" primer is going to be close enough not to make much of an issue with basic target loads. Using them, and clone wads from ClayBuster, DownRange, or similar will help cut costs. If your local club can't (or won't) order them in for you, go in with a group of folks and do a group buy, helps save on freight. Same thing with powder and primers - the more you spread out the hazmat fee, the easier it is to accept.

As I said, I am lucky in that my club orders from one of the big distributors so they deliver on their own truck - no additional shipping or hazmet since the truckload of targets basically pays the freight bill. i wind up paying regular catalog price but that includes delivery, hazmat, sales tax and a small profit for the club -fair enough trade-off for me