The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 2002, 03:00 PM   #1
Popsicle

Accelreated use test of Mossberg shotguns.

I just finished reading all the past threads on the Mossberg 500 series shotguns. I noticed that a lot of folks think the 500 is not quite up to heavy usage. I, too, have wondered about this, and am going to use one (I own two of them) of my Mossberg 20 ga. pumps exclusively until I can get something to break. I think it may take awhile, as I plan to shoot 300 to 400 rounds per month through this gun. The gun already has 2,000 rounds through it with zero problems. I will report on this project periodically to keep us all informed of the progress that I have made. Hopefully, it will put to rest all of the 870 vs. 500 threads. And if the gun fails miserably, then I for one will be glad to know to steer clear of them.

Pat Brophy
Old June 16, 2002, 03:26 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Pat, it's going to take you a while..

As Dave and I have discussed, the big three are fine guns with lots of durability. There's always a lemon though.
Old June 16, 2002, 05:41 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Like Gizmo99 says..........gonna take a long time at that rate of shootin.
And if it does fail at 5,000 or 100,000, not proof of good or bad for the line. Only of that individual gun.

But, gonna be fun tho.

Sam
Old June 16, 2002, 07:22 PM   #4
Andrew Wyatt

the only durability problems i've heard of with mossbers center around their plastic components. the plastic factory tang safeties stop working after a short while (which is probably why the 590 has ones made from aluminum)

i've heard reports of 500/590 series guns having problems with their plastic fire control units, but I haven't heard exactly what goes wrong with them.
Old June 17, 2002, 05:50 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Pat,chances are you'll wear out before the Mossie does.

Durability is relative. I'd be very surprised to find out that any of the Big Three (Plus the Ithaca 37) wear to the point of unserviceability much under, say 50K rounds. Make that 100K for the 870.

But have fun trying....
Old June 17, 2002, 06:56 PM   #6
dfaugh

Only shotguns I've ever owned were 500s...never had a failure..Most used was 20 gauge, well used when I got it....used it tons for many more years, never did break a thing.....Good luck!

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old June 18, 2002, 02:36 PM   #7
ENC

The absolute only reason I got rid of my mossberg was because I could not get used to the location of the saftey. I got another Remington. But in no way do I thind Rems are better.

You are going to have a very long wait most likely.
Old June 19, 2002, 12:03 AM   #8
swampgator

as posted by Andrew Wyatt:
Quote:
the only durability problems i've heard of with mossbers center around their plastic components. the plastic factory tang safeties stop working after a short while (which is probably why the 590 has ones made from aluminum)

i've heard reports of 500/590 series guns having problems with their plastic fire control units, but I haven't heard exactly what goes wrong with them.

As a Mossy owner going on 20 years, the plastic parts on my shotguns have never failed. Only metal parts have failed. So far I've replaced the springs a couple of times.

For every Mossy I've "heard" had a failure, I know of three or four that never have problems. Plastic parts and all.