Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How do you pack?
Open Carry 17 10.69%
Concealed Carry 142 89.31%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30, 2007, 09:50 PM   #51
MyXD40

Quote:
Why? They are entitled to their opinion just like you are.
A simple "I perfer.." would be just fine enough. But adding fuel to the fire..well we all know what THAT does. Some opinions start fights. It's common when someone wants a debate.

Theres a saying, "keep your comments to yourself, please"..they didn't come up with that for no reason
Old September 30, 2007, 10:02 PM   #52
Wildalaska

I feel the use of the word sheeple should be banned from this Board.

WildifimaybesoboldAlaska TM
Old September 30, 2007, 11:35 PM   #53
kennybs plbg

After cc in NY for almost 30 years and now living in Arizona, I find open carry here is about as offensive to people as the American flag. Its not a big deal and people consider it a right and a way of life.
It took time to get use too but I was the brain washed one comming to a free state.

kenny b
Old October 1, 2007, 07:14 AM   #54
Tanzer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why? They are entitled to their opinion just like you are.
Quote:
A simple "I perfer.." would be just fine enough. But adding fuel to the fire..well we all know what THAT does. Some opinions start fights. It's common when someone wants a debate.
Quote:
Theres a saying, "keep your comments to yourself, please"..they didn't come up with that for no reason
Isn't this thread opinion based? How many responses would there be if we followed this logic?

Quote:
OC'ing and CC'ing are almost like political parties.
Check out the poll results. The OC'ers oughta be glad we're not voting, but thankfully for them, THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO THEIR OPINION.
Old October 1, 2007, 08:56 AM   #55
dwatts47

I'm sure most people have stopped reading by now, thats okay.

I was a bit hard on the OP of this thread in my first response, so let me tell it in a little more detail. I DO open carry for work (private, plainclothes security). If I have to stop and get gas or a soda, I don't think twice about walking in, gun in level II holster, getting what I need and leaving.

First and foremost on my mind when I do this is projecting an image consistant with DESERVING to carry a gun. You won't catch me horseplaying or picking up a nudy magazine waiting to pay for gas with my gun on in plain view.

I DON'T go grocery shopping, to the movies, or out to dinner like this. It's not against the law where I work... I just don't need/want the extra attention.
I don't feel 'burdened' by needing to conceal to suit public opinions, but if I'm going to spend some a little time in one location, I prefer to have my gun covered.
Old October 1, 2007, 08:56 AM   #56
mattro

the only people offended at oc is anti-gun people, and imo they could use some exposure to our rights to carry any way we want. I seldom oc, but when I do, I could care less what anyone thinks. people, cops, or anyone. It is a right of mine, if you're curious about it - ask, and I'll explain it. If it bothers you - look the other way.
Old October 1, 2007, 09:00 AM   #57
monkeyboy

Open carry is a problem if someone decides you have a nicer gun than they do.

A pipe at the back of the head or some other ambush for your weapon is not unheard of.

The fact that 60% of the people will think you are a dick should influence your opinion. If it does not, then they may just be right.

There is no benefit at all from a tactical perspective. IF you are in duty clothes then fine, otherwise its just you and your ego.
Old October 1, 2007, 09:33 AM   #58
DougO83

?

Quote:
Open carry in public is rude and shows a lack of class.
Wow... I have never once been offended by a person who OC's. Nor has it ever been a reflection of their class...

Matt 6:33
Old October 1, 2007, 09:35 AM   #59
ron8903

Concealed for me.
Old October 1, 2007, 09:39 AM   #60
Thumper

I'd be willing to bet that 99% of those that open carry do it for the attention rather than any political statement.

Children seeking attention...

That's not terribly classy.

YMMV...
Old October 1, 2007, 09:40 AM   #61
DougO83

Quote:
No, I don't have a link, but I have enough common sense to put myself in someone else's shoes. Here I am, Mr. Bad Guy. I'm going to hold up the convenience store. I've got my hoodie on and my weapon drawn as I walk in. There's a fat guy at the slurpy machine, a drunk playing Keno with his welfare check, and a guy in relatively able shape with a gun on his hip.
Bad guy radar to bad guy brain; Shoot the guy with the gun or he'll make your day go all nasty.
You make the mistaken assumption that the lazy, ignorant punk robbing the quickie mart has that much sense. Also, why wouldn't the guy just turn tail and leave? I sure would. Especially if I were in an area where open carry was common. Bunch of people with guns on the hip, I think I"ll steal from somebody else. Of course, this is not taking into account that the average robber is a moron. Hence the not having a real way to make money and preying on others thing.

Quote:
Can you cite a source that will confirm that the next time I eat at a Mexican resaurant I won't get heartburn?
This is not a very intelligent statement at all.

Quote:
Can you cite a source that will confirm that next time I go to the DMV they won't be rude?
Same goes for this one.

Quote:
Can you cite a source that confirms that you're NOT scaring the crap out of the pregnant lady with her toddler at the supermarket?
Oh well. My concern is MY SAFETY. Not the feeling of another human being. Also, she'll be scared until some moron comes in with a gun and changes his mind when he sees open carry. If your above "logic" is applied.

Old October 1, 2007, 09:45 AM   #62
DougO83

orr...

you could err on the side of intelligence rather than this:

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that 99% of those that open carry do it for the attention rather than any political statement.
I open carried when I could because it was natural and I was usually coming from work where I do open carry. Also, it is a VISUAL DETERRENT to crime. I know this is not always the case, but someone will hesitate before trying to confront me for whatever reason. Nothing to do with attention. I am generally unconcerned with the thoughts of others, so that one is waaay off.

Old October 1, 2007, 10:05 AM   #63
MyXD40

Quote:
I believe you owe me money there sir.

I open carry because it's easier to walk/sit/lay down. I find NOTHING wrong with OC. But then again, OC is fairly friendly where I live. Not even LEO's care, so that shows how natural it is

I don't get much attention at all when I OC. Half the time, people don't even notice. I've only been asked a handfull of times, "do you have a permit for that?".
Old October 1, 2007, 12:01 PM   #64
Thumper

Doug, something about your post convinced me that you might be in that 1% Perhaps it's that you carry on the job and therefore OC is no particular novelty to you.

It's funny how you can follow a particular posters personality traits, however.

I've noticed that some of the more outspoken proponents of open carry are the same ones that start the threads about how they shocked the Wally World checkout girl by buying a case of .45 ball...or the reactions of coworkers when they see a gun in their waistband.

I suppose it gives some folks a feeling of novelty...of being different .

I submit that it's better to be unique due to a particular earned quality rather than by open carrying or (for some of the same mindset), getting your eyebrow pierced.

My opinion is that the same unfortunate mindset is responsible for both in the majority of cases (99% might have been overboard).

Again, it's just my opinion.

Disclaimer: None of the above applies at a BBQ (or any event where it's "just us.")
Old October 1, 2007, 01:08 PM   #65
mvpel

Quote:
+1....and IMO, open carry is just compensation for other shortages.
Was this cut-and-pasted from the Brady Center's or the Daily KOS message board?

Open carry in Ohio was legal for decades, but it was so rarely done that a generation of cops arose who would perform a screaming, guns-drawn felony stop on a law-abiding citizen walking down the street minding his own business carrying openly in accordance with the law and Constitution of the state and think that they were completely justified in their outrageous and potentially deadly violation of that individual's basic rights.

Do you think that cops would have been so freaked out if they'd seen one or two peaceable open carriers every month for every year of their employment, and had been reminded every so often that lawful self-defense encompasses the lawful bearing of arms in accordance with Article I, Section 4 of the Ohio Constitution?

As for your comment, Thumper, as to political statements, a concealed carry licensing system was only enacted in Ohio after an Ohio activist group organized a series of weekly "open carry walks" in the capitol.

Unless you're a mind reader, you can't know what the purpose of any given open carrier is, you can only sit back and make your pompous and insulting assumptions.

Classic "divide and conquer." Welcome to Zumbo-world.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old October 1, 2007, 01:48 PM   #66
DougO83

Thumper

being back in Texas makes me wish I could still open carry. I require my weapon at work, but the state law is ridiculous and states that I must conceal my weapon unless I am traveling to, working at, or traveling from my assigned post. This is highly inconvinient as I carry in my vehicle since I am 24/7 on-call with my company. And I have found CC to be most uncomfortable unless I am carrying a pea-shooter in my pocket. Even my .38 Rossi 2" IWB is not so comfy IMHO. Those whio carry, as you kind of put it, as a fashion statement should not be allowed to carry a butter knife. And, to whoever said it, +1000000 on the compensation comment.

Old October 1, 2007, 01:53 PM   #67
Thumper

Not really a mind reader, but occasionally folks' motives are transparent, especially when the uninitiated attempt to ascribe some altruistic purpose to their behavior.

Sorry, man, it just smacks of mall ninja to me.

No divide, though...It should certainly be legal.

To me, it's the same mentality that keeps me from strapping a dead buck to my truck hood during deer season. Some folks get it, some don't.

If you're wearing tactical nylon and get a secret thrill when you see someone notice that you're packing, you're probably one of those that don't.
Old October 1, 2007, 02:19 PM   #68
mordis

John, OC people dont go pushing there views down anyones throats. were just trying to educate people on the fact that, it is a lot more comfortable then cc, and is faster to draw from and is a visable deterent to crime. I oc on the job as a armed guard, so no it is not a novelty for me, its part of my daily life.

One of my biggest beef with cc, is the fact that my drawing speed is severely hampered. instead of just droping my hand and drawing i have to raise my shirt out of the way before drawing. Which adds more then a second to my draw stroke, which could be the difference between life and death.

My second biggest beef is i hate having to purchase extra long and baggy shirts to cover up my gun, it makes me look even worse then i already do.
Oc allows me to wear normal clothing, that is atlease partialy fasionable.

Yea, there are instances of oc citizens getting robbed, i never said there wasnt. You mention gun stores, and i think they are a special circumstance. The robbers know they will be armed, and usualy there is more then 2-3robbers instead of the 1-2 robbers normaly seen on other crimes. The problem with alot of oc'ers is they get comfortable, same with gunstore clerks. They feel that there so safe in a gun store they relax there guard a bit and thats when stuff happens. Same with oc citizens, they just get comfortable, and relax there guard and thats when stuff happens, which is probably the case in your cited example, he was just not paying attention.

John, you countered one of my arguments, saying some guns do have adaquate caliber and capacity. Guns like the baby glocks and small versions of the other polymer guns. THe problem with say the mini glock 9mm(i cant remember off hand the designation) is that ya its small and concealable, but its short barrel length may have a detremental effect on the speed of the bullet, thusly affecting the performance of the bullet. Were as my oc'd full sized glock will get every ounce of speed from my 124grain hydrashoks.(i will be upgrading to 147grain tap tho). Ya speer makes short barrel ammo, but they only tested the 9mm in a 3.5" barrel, and alot of the small conceal guns in that caliber have barrels shorter then 3.5" so that makes the performance of that round suspect in those guns.

What everyone for or against needs to realize is that, both methods of carry are a comprimise, sure cc gives you surprise and dosent scare the people, but you wil have a slower draw stroke and all the while potentialy being very uncomfortable.
Sure oc'ers will have the advantage of a faster draw, and possible visable detterent, and greatly improved comfort, but if there not paying attention to there surroundings ands whats happening and allow them selvs to slip into condition white, then what ever advantage they had with oc just went right out the door.

We are all friends here, we all have the right to disagree, but i violently support your right to not agree with me, as i hope you would do the same.
This also applys to our rights with regards to carry methods. I support the right of people to oc and cc, as i hope the cc'ers support my right to oc and cc.(even tho you dont agree, any carry is better then no carry at all)
Old October 1, 2007, 02:57 PM   #69
WSM MAGNUM

I cannot answer the poll question because Maryland does not allow carrying of firearms. But if I could carry I would carry concealed. Here is a good story on why I would choose concealed.

http://www.gunowners.org/op0203.htm

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old October 1, 2007, 03:02 PM   #70
Glenn E. Meyer

When it is cold outside, to all you OC's strap your hogleg around your parka?
Old October 1, 2007, 03:52 PM   #71
Tanzer

Doug038, in response, here's what I said;
Quote:
Quote:
No, I don't have a link, but I have enough common sense to put myself in someone else's shoes. Here I am, Mr. Bad Guy. I'm going to hold up the convenience store. I've got my hoodie on and my weapon drawn as I walk in. There's a fat guy at the slurpy machine, a drunk playing Keno with his welfare check, and a guy in relatively able shape with a gun on his hip.
Bad guy radar to bad guy brain; Shoot the guy with the gun or he'll make your day go all nasty.
Your response;
Quote:
You make the mistaken assumption that the lazy, ignorant punk robbing the quickie mart has that much sense. Also, why wouldn't the guy just turn tail and leave? I sure would. Especially if I were in an area where open carry was common. Bunch of people with guns on the hip, I think I"ll steal from somebody else. Of course, this is not taking into account that the average robber is a moron. Hence the not having a real way to make money and preying on others thing.
Bad guy has gun out. You and only you are holding a gallon of milk and Sunday paper, and HE"S going to run???

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can you cite a source that will confirm that the next time I eat at a Mexican resaurant I won't get heartburn?
Quote:
This is not a very
Quote:
intelligent statement at all.
Read in context to the question asked in the previous reply, it is relevent. Now, I'm on day 3 without smoking, so I'm going to give you a pass on this one. This time only.

Quote:
Oh well. My concern is MY SAFETY. Not the feeling of another human being. Also, she'll be scared until some moron comes in with a gun and changes his mind when he sees open carry. If your above "logic" is applied.
You have now made the mistaken and often fatal assumption that anyone who bursts into a store with a gun is a MORON. Innocents everywhere, and an ex-commando with a cerebral malfunction comes in with an evil black rilfle. OH yeah, don't worry! He'll run because you have pistol on your hip for the world to see. You're going to look like a Chi-Kong to him. What if he isn't an ex-commando? Every other robber is a moron, right? They never plan ahead? They have too much to live for? They're not jonesin' for some meth right now?? (man I need a smoke). Man, thanks! After all those stupid and expensive training courses I took all I really needed to know was that robbers are all morons! I'll just tell him I have an invisible pitbull who's going to attack him. He's such an idiot he'll turn and run. I'll just tell him his shoelace is untied, then I can count on the checkout lady to hit him with a sack of potatos.
I've managed in my unintelligent way to notice that you skip through threads without following the flow. Yeah, it's sometimes a long read, but an intelligent guy like you should be able to handle it. That way you're not just looking for comments to poke at.

Last edited by Tanzer; October 1, 2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: sp/gramm/syntax
Old October 1, 2007, 04:05 PM   #72
Tanzer

Quote:
I am generally unconcerned with the thoughts of others, so that one is waaay off.
Psych 101 - 13th grade - The thoughts of others play a major role in intelligent decision making. I'll let you borrow the book if you sneak me a pack of cigars.

Last edited by Tanzer; October 1, 2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: sp
Old October 1, 2007, 05:28 PM   #73
ghalleen

Quote:
OC in NE Oregon doesn't seam to draw much attention.
Northwest Oregon (Portland) would be different, most likely. You live in the gun-friendly part of the state.
Old October 1, 2007, 06:55 PM   #74
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Why is it that so many people who have access to CC, are opposed to OC?

The answer is quite simple actually... What used to be commonplace no longer is. What is not commonplace is viewed/deemed to be somewhat anti-social or even deviant behavior.

When did this happen? Mostly depends upon what region of the US you're from, regardless, it happened gradually. Over time. Sooo...

Some of us have learned the laws of our States and have begun to OC to simply bring back common recognition of what is an individual right. It's part of bearing arms that is referred to in the RKBA.

Use it or loose it, I say. Rights lost are rarely ever returned. I would have thought that most here would know this.

Rude? Only because you've lost the real sense of RKBA?

Do I OC all the time? No. There are times and places where it is not appropriate. Do I CC all the Time? No. Same answer. But I guarantee that when I OC, I'm also CC'ing.
Old October 1, 2007, 07:12 PM   #75
DougO83

Tanzer

1. Quit crying about quitting smoking, I stopped about a week or so ago and don't seem to be having the problem. Thumbs up for cold-turkey. Good luck with it though, it's a b*tch.

2. I won't even bother quoting your posts where you reference mine because you took them completely out of context, or quoted them without taking light of the rest of the post.