The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 22, 2013, 06:53 PM   #1
IdahoG36

Ruger SR1911 owners, how do you like it so far?

I have owned several 1911s years ago, and I have been wanting to get another 1911 for awhile, and I recently traded a pistol that I had for a LNIB Ruger SR1911. I have handled them at my LGS, and they seemed well built, and they look great to boot, which is why I decided to trade for one. It will be here later in the week.

To actual owners out there, how has your SR1911 performed so far? Any issues? Has anybody added night sights, and if so, what did you end up installing?
Old October 22, 2013, 07:09 PM   #2
k511

i really like mine...over 1k rounds with zero problems, it even eats the cheap steel stuff...i kept mine completely stock eccept for the VZ grips which look freakin sweet IMHO...
Old October 22, 2013, 07:16 PM   #3
IdahoG36

Nice looking grips! I really like VZ grips myself, and that is the first thing I'm going to be getting for my SR1911.
Old October 22, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
hodaka

I have had the Commander for about 4 months now. Straight stock. I have about 500 rounds, 95% of them 200 SWC lead reloads, through it and have been very satisfied. Very accurate. I keep waiting for the front sight to fly off but not yet. I paid too much at Cabelas, about $800 including tax. I saw one at a gun show a couple of weeks later for around $700. Oh well.
Old October 23, 2013, 09:31 AM   #5
musher

Commander version here.

2 range sessions so far

150 rnds umc fmj 230 gr
100 rnds rem golden sabre 230 gr

then

100 rnds lead swc 200 gr

No failures with any of that, though the UMC completely coated the thing with internal filth.

Seems accurate enough, maybe ~4" @ 25 yds.

Shoots a bit to the right. I took a swing at moving the rear sight, but even after completely removing the lock screw, it wouldn't budge with a brass drift. Lock screw was coated with blue locktite, so maybe the sight is glued down too. Figured I'd think on that problem some more. Maybe try to heat or freeze it.

I'm liking it so far.
Old October 23, 2013, 09:41 AM   #6
geetarman

I have one of each size and they both run fine. No problems with the sights either. I hope it stays that way.

I am seeing more of them hanging on the pegs at Sportsman's Warehouse.

I have seen one of each at the local store for about three weeks now.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 23, 2013, 10:01 AM   #7
JNad

Great gun. I have the full size model.

I don't have the commander, YET.

I think I have about 1,000 rounds through mine, a mix of WWB, defensive loads, and my own reloads. ZERO malfunctions.

Mine came home with about a 5.75lb trigger. I shot it like that for a while, but found my 25 yard groups lacking, so I cut a bit more relief angle on the sear and installed a 21 lbs mainspring. I am just under 4.5lbs for the trigger pull, and there is zero creep in it (there never was). My 25 yard groups are now where they always are for me (between 5 and 6 inches - that's me - NOT the gun).

I keep going back and forth between night sights and a nice gold bead front sight. I am still debating that one, so can't help there.

I have had mine all the way apart, and I can tell you that it is a well built, well finished gun. The slide to frame fit is everybit as tight as my Colt, and almost as tight as the custom built 1911 I also own.

Comparing it directly to my Colt (stock government model): The Colt trigger has a tiny hint of creep in it, the Ruger does not. The slide to frame fit is about the same. The Colt has no MIM parts in it (not an issue for me). The Ruger sights are easier to pick up. I like the Ruger safety, not to big, but can't miss it. Colt finish is much better, but I only paid $649 for the Ruger. I have no complaints about the Ruger finish, but the Colt is a prettier gun. The Colt will hold a SLIGHTLY tighter group for me, but not enough to say the Ruger is not an accurate tool.
Old October 23, 2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Jayhawkhuntclub

k511: What is the official color of those grips? I like 'em!

I don't own an SR1911. But I've handled a few. I thought the safety and slide release felt cheap. But overall, I really like the gun. Trigger was excellent NIB. Finish was good. Reasonably tight. They are lookers and a lot of gun for the money IMHO. The SR1911 CMD is on my wish list.
Old October 23, 2013, 02:44 PM   #9
MJFlores

I have an SR-1911 5" and really like it. I haven't done a single thing to mine except shoot it and clean it. I cant really think of anything I'd want to change on the gun. I have roughly 500 rounds through mine by now, mostly various brands of FMJ like American Eagle, Fiocchi, Blazer Brass, and Winchester with some hollow points. It never needed a sight adjustment right from the box, is very accurate and has never failed to eject or failed to feed a single round so far. I like everything about it and only paid $675 new in July of this year.
Old October 24, 2013, 09:20 PM   #10
rodfac

I've got one of each as well...both are as good as my heavy dollar gunsmithed Colts. I'm an unabashed fan of these Rugers....with great features, superb accuracy, and at great discounts at the retail level, what's not to like?

I fitted Colt Series 70 barrels/slides/bushings to the CMD with no problem at all, making it a 4-caliber gun; .45 ACP, .38 Super, 9mm, and .22 lr. It's equally accurate with .38 Super (and at 1150 fps too), .22 lr, and .45 ACP. Overall, in .45 it's a sub-2" gun from a sitting position, but not sandbagged...and that's as good as my old eyes can hold. Since the CMD is a better carry gun, and with it's versatility, it's my most useful handgun and gets regular work in the CCW rotation. Here's some pics to whet your appetite...you're gunna love it. Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; October 24, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old October 24, 2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Billy Shears

Quote:
To actual owners out there, how has your SR1911 performed so far? Any issues?

After 1,500 rounds and lots of failures even with ball ammo and an unsuccessful trip back to the factory I traded mine for an M&P.

Wouldn't feed hollowpoints worth a darn, even with Wilson 47D mags.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:33 AM   #12
cobra81

Mine has had approx. 1000 rounds through it now, and it just keeps getting better.
Only problem I had was my own fault, loading rounds too long and getting the occasional jam.
Once I started seating to 1.250" OAL instead of the 1.275" called out in Lyman's 49th, problem disappeared.

Solid gun, accurate, and built in the US.
Old October 26, 2013, 03:05 AM   #13
IdahoG36

My SR1911 will be here Tuesday. My Ruger SP101 will be back today from being Cerakoted, and I'm still waiting for my Springfield XDs .45 to be fixed and returned from Springfield. Once all three are in my possession, I will be heading to the range to shoot a few hundred rounds. Can't wait!
Old October 26, 2013, 08:44 AM   #14
MJFlores

Congrats on your purchase. I've already said how much I like mine. I wanted to point out that I really like the two magazines it comes with too. I'm not sure who makes these for Ruger...does anyone know? I ended up buying a third and am thinking of ordering at least one more from Ruger. They look and feel nice, load nice, and have never jammed or mis-fed on me yet. If anyone knows for sure who makes them I'd be interested in knowing. I'm assuming Ruger contracts someone to make them for them, and Ruger usually contracts the best.
Old October 26, 2013, 09:29 AM   #15
JWT

I've owned both a Commander and a full sized for well over a year and love both of them. They shoot great and neither has ever had a malfunction of any time. Very, very nice guns; especially considering their modest price.
Old October 26, 2013, 09:41 AM   #16
bricz75

"I wanted to point out that I really like the two magazines it comes with too. I'm not sure who makes these for Ruger...does anyone know?"

I think Checkmate.
Old October 26, 2013, 12:39 PM   #17
IdahoG36

I will ordering some Wilson 47D mags soon. They have always been my favorite 1911 mag. I've always had good luck with them.
Old October 26, 2013, 12:46 PM   #18
k511

Jayhawk...they are black desert sand operator II's
Old October 29, 2013, 10:12 PM   #19
IdahoG36

My Ruger SR1911 arrived yesterday. I might get around to posting pics, but it looks just like everybody else's stock SR1911

Mine has a build date of 4/2012. It is in like new condition. The fit and finish is excellent, as is the trigger pull. I am very impressed so far with the quality. I will be ordering a set of VZ grips and Trijicon HD sights for it in the near future.

I am waiting for my Springfield XDs .45 to return from the recall, and my Ruger SP101 to get back from being Cerakoted and I will be taking all three to the range. I've been stocking up on ammo for them in the mean time.
Old October 29, 2013, 10:58 PM   #20
Axelwik

So far so good with mine. Just got it and only has 100 rounds through it - all handloads with my cast bullets; SWC and RN. Flawless so far.
Old October 30, 2013, 12:19 PM   #21
polyphemus

Quote:
I think Checkmate.
They are Checkmate,SS,Hybrid guide lips,CM followers.
And importantly, extra power springs.
Old October 30, 2013, 05:01 PM   #22
salvo

I'm very pleased with my Commander Model, I've had it for almost 6 months now. I shoot it almost every weekend and it has been 100%, I have done nothing to it but shoot it and clean it! even the sights were dead on. That is what impresses me the most about the Ruger it is good right out of the box.
I have a Colt Series 70 (Over 30 years) and a Colt Officers Model (Around 20 years now) each one needed messaging in one way or another and just figured that was part of the fun of 1911's (I have enjoyed working on them I must admit)
It is refreshing to buy a reasonably priced 1911 that has a good trigger, good sights, great fit and accuracy right out of the box. I'm sure after the newness wears off I'll probably do a few things to it, only because I like too, not need too.

Old October 30, 2013, 06:28 PM   #23
JumpMarine

I've had my Commander since early summer and have put about 1500 problem free rounds through it so far. The only upgrades that I've done have been purely for feel with a nice set of VZ grips. Function, fit and finish are perfect.
Old October 31, 2013, 10:01 PM   #24
monkeyfist

I'm planning on shooting it for the first time tomorrow. Oh yeah, it's my first gun purchase ever, and I've only shot .22 a few times and a Glock 19 for 100 rounds or so. The 1911 just really intrigued me for some reason. I had to have one!!!

Wish me luck with my first gun and my first .45 practice tomorrow!
Old November 1, 2013, 12:04 AM   #25
salvo

Good luck and congrats monkeyfist!
Did you get the full size or commander?
First pistol, man I'm getting old.