The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 16, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1
frumious

Pay-to-hunt in TX (DFW area)

Hi All,

I would like to go hunting but lack a place to hunt or anyone to go hunting with. I never grew up hunting and besides that I grew up in Kentucky so I don't really have any friends around here from 'way back or anything like that. So I am thinking about one of those deals where you pay them a couple hundred bucks and go shoot something.

I'm sure I can find a bunch of places with a Google search but I wanted to know if any of you have ever used any of these sorts of places and can make a recommendation? I live in the DFW area and I guess I'd prefer to stay within 2-3 hours of here if at all possible. I don't have a 4x4 so I need to go somewhere accessible by road.

As to what to shoot...maybe hogs? I guess I'd like to start with hogs or maybe some kind of small varmint (do we even have those in TX?). I have a .308, a 45-70, and a 22-250, all have scopes, and I'm an OK shot with all of them out to 100 yards or so.

I think maybe some day halfway soon it'd be cool to go on an Elk hunt or something like that out west or a bear hunt or something but for the time being I think I should start small and local.

Overall I don't intend to take trophies or meat or anything, I just want to shoot stuff. Someone else can have the meat. I hope this isn't totally the wrong attitude. And apologies if this is a dumb post. I have been hunting literally once in my entire life, if you don't count birds with a bb gun, so I am sort of a late comer to the sport, and not sure how to get started.

-cls
Old April 16, 2012, 08:26 PM   #2
rickyrick

Plenty of hogs.....

As far as a place to hunt, it varies from free at a friend or relatives place to several thousand dollars. Ask friends and co-workers, you'd be surprised to learn who hunts that you know.

Regretfully, the biggest challenges to hunting is a place to do it.
I've never paid lease but some can be found for 500 to 1000. A year.

Different rules at different places. I am finding that getting known as a hog killer opens up some free hunting.

I started removing trouble making raccoons got really good at it, the funny thing is
Old April 17, 2012, 10:48 AM   #3
CCCLVII

I all most wish we had hogs here in Idaho. I think the young ones would be great eating
Old April 17, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
idnative1948

We do have hogs here in Idaho, but is pay to shoot on private.
Old April 17, 2012, 10:58 AM   #5
hornetguy

The young ones ARE great eating.

Right now in Texas, hogs are about the only thing you can hunt. No game seasons are open, that I know of.

If you do a googly search for hog hunting in central/west Texas, I imagine you will come up with a lot of suggestions. Unfortunately, those places that have websites usually want to charge quite a bit for the privilege of coming out and thinning out their hogs.

If you could find a farmer/rancher that wants hogs thinned out on his property, you might be able to set something up that is reasonable. I'm not sure how to do that, though.

There are hunts down in WAY south Texas for Nilgai, as well. There are a very few places to hunt riverbottoms between ranches, but the odds are against you there. It's probably easier to book a hunt for them... and I've heard that Nilgai is most excellent table fare.