The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 7, 2007, 12:53 PM   #1
trooper3385

Leaving for Africa

Well it's finally here. I'm leaving for South Africa Monday Morning for 10 days. I think I have everything set, but I wanted to check and see if anyone had any last minute advice for the hunt, trip, airport, baggage, etc. I went to the range this morning and fired a few rounds to double check everything. All is well with the gun, but I hope it makes it through the trip without getting bumped off much. Of course I'll shoot it before hunting when I get there. I'm packing pretty light. About 3 sets of cloths. They said not to bring to many hunting cloths since they do the laundry everyday. I'm really dreading that flight. Longest I've been on before was 8 1/2 hrs to Hawaii. This one is 19 hrs from Atlanta to Jo-burg. I'm just hoping everything goes smoothly with the trip over there and back.
Old July 7, 2007, 01:05 PM   #2
2rugers

Make sure your rifle case is steel and not aluminum or worse, plastic.

I had to learn that the hard way.

Make sure you pack away some of your favorite snack foods, you know, some of those little jerkeys or whatever you like.
It can be a long hunt when you forget those little edible luxuries we have here.

Are you just trying to make us jealous you lucky SoB!?
Old July 7, 2007, 01:08 PM   #3
Eghad

Good Hunting!

NRA Life Member
Old July 7, 2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Phelptwan

Watcha hunting?
Old July 7, 2007, 01:46 PM   #5
fisherman66

Ya need a caddy?
Old July 7, 2007, 04:35 PM   #6
trooper3385

A friend of mine let me borrow his steel case, but I decided to go ahead and buy one. I got one of the Pelican cases. I've had really good luck with the oe that I use for work, plus it is lighter and has wheels. I will be hunting plains game. Gemsbuck, Kudu, Zebra, Impala, etc. Hope to stick to no more than 5 animals. I've been planning this for the last year and a half. Kind of hard to believe that it is already here and it's going to go by so quick after all the planning.
Old July 7, 2007, 04:40 PM   #7
PTR 91

What are you hunting for? Watch your back them lions can be sneeky.
Old July 7, 2007, 04:45 PM   #8
BIGR

Good luck and watch your back.
Old July 7, 2007, 06:28 PM   #9
ConcealCarryNY

What country are you going to? I would suggest bringing lots of singles and fives just in case. My father went to Zimbabwe and there was alot of palm greasing involved
Old July 7, 2007, 06:36 PM   #10
oldbillthundercheif

What are you going to use on the Gemsbock and Kudu? They are tough bastards. Show us your mounts when you get them back.

Make sure the clothes you take are well-constructed. Africa is hard on pants and shirts. Also, bring along a nice pair of sunglasses. Africa is no place to sport the $5 gas-station specials.

Have fun and don't be afraid of the local food. In general it is very tastey.

Old July 8, 2007, 01:22 AM   #11
trooper3385

Nice Gemsbock there. Everyone talks about wanting to shoot a Kudu when they go. I'm really hoping to find a nice Gemsbock. I think the mounts look great. Of course, I won't hesitate to bust a nice Kudu if the I find one. I'm hunting everything with a 300 win mag. If the PH thinks I need more, they have plenty of guns you can use there. In fact, me and one other guy are the only ones taking there own rifle. Most of our group is going to be bow hunting. One or two in the group are going to be hunting the dangerous game. We are going to be hunting on the northern end of South Africa, near the Botswana border. This is my first trip there, but several of the others going with us have been to this same place 3 and 4 times.
Old July 8, 2007, 01:16 PM   #12
trooper3385

Alright guy, I'm gone. I'll hollar back in 2 weeks. Hopefully with some pictures.
Old July 21, 2007, 06:00 PM   #13
trooper3385

Well, I'm finally back. Tired, but I had a blast. I would say it was a trip of a lifetime, but I'll definetly be back. We're already planning another trip in 2 years. All 3 of us in my group managed to get all the animals that we were going for. I shot a Gemsbock, Impala, Blesbok, Zebra, Warthog and my wife shot a monster Warthog also. I'll elaborate a lot more when I have some more time and post some pics when I figure it out. My wife is ragging on me to put some stuff up.
Old August 3, 2007, 10:21 PM   #14
HankB

Remember . . . the shoulder mount of the warthog really ought to go in the bathroom!
Old August 4, 2007, 08:08 PM   #15
oldbillthundercheif

Details!

You must be busy catching up on all the work you skipped to go hunting, trooper, but put up some more info about your trip when you get a chance.
Old August 6, 2007, 06:06 PM   #16
Schamankungulo

It is addicting , once you go , you'll return ..
Old August 6, 2007, 07:16 PM   #17
Dirty_Harry

did u shoot all of those with the .300 mag?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne