The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2002, 08:35 AM   #1
Bulldozer

Replicating 38 +P LSWCHP with a Twist

Hello All,
I am interested in reloading the classic 158-grain LSWCHP +P found in 38 special. I have come into possession of some 2,000 nickel cases of sized and primed 357 mag brass. Being new to reloading, is there any harm in subbing out 38 brass for 357 brass?

I am using Unique or Bullseye powder and Hornady SWCHP bullets. I'd like to try and push the velocity up a bit from the 800-820 ft/sec I am presently getting to around 920-950 ft/sec with the magnum cases.

Any advice, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 7, 2002, 09:05 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

MORE INFO

What is your intended launch platform?

Do you have (access to) a chronograph?

What is your handloading / shooting experience level?

Why?
Old December 7, 2002, 11:47 AM   #3
Bulldozer

More Info-Answers

Intended launch platform is a Taurus Tracker with 4 inch barrel. Might also see some use in Taurus 617 2-inch snubby.

I do have an old, but functional, chronograph. The 800-820 fps figure comes from the 4 inch Tracker using 3.8 grains of Bullseye and a 158 SWC bullet and CCI 500 primer.

I have been shooting for about fifteen years now. Only started to reload in the past year to any measurable degree. My Father did the reloading and when he passed this spring, I inherited all of his devices and supplies.

Basically just want to use the brass and I really like the LHP load. The other option is to load 110 JHP in the magnum cases, as I have scads of old Super-Vel bullets in that weight.
Old December 7, 2002, 12:24 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Don't have exact answers to the questions you asked,

Bulldozer, but every little datum may help - - -

I use a lot of commercially cast 158 LSWC bullets. My favorite, though, is a 162 gr. LWSC from an old Saeco mould. It has a somewhat longer nose and works great for long range plinking with a variety of loads. My favorite low end ,357 magnum load is:
Federal cases, WSP primers, 7.0 gr. Unique.
This chronographs at 1074 from a four-inch Colt Three-Fifty-Seven (pre-Trooper.) From a six-inch Taurus, velocity is 1144.

This is a good load for double aciton practice with magnum revolvers--It is not so strong as to shake the medium framed guns to pieces in short order, but it is well above even +P .38 loads. It shoots flat enough to be greatfun for long range plinking, and has plenty of punch for harvesting small game. I guess it would do for small white tail deer, as well, but if I were to use .357 on deer again, I think I'd go to my favorite load with the 158 Hornady XTP-HP, loaded a lot faster.

I haven't loaded any 110 gr. .357 bullets since the early 1970s, and I imagine the state of the art has moved on since that time.

Best of luck--
Johnny
Old December 7, 2002, 01:16 PM   #5
HSMITH

Do NOT go below listed minimum loads, most revolver blow ups happen with light loads. Stay in the recommended range or load density will get too low and pressures go through the roof.
Old December 7, 2002, 01:56 PM   #6
stans

Actually most blow ups with revolvers are the result of double charging cases with fast burning powders or squibs that lodge a bullet in the barrel followed by a normal round.
Old December 8, 2002, 07:15 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

SAFE BUT

You can certainly try 6.0g Unique for a plenty-o-zip load using that (swaged) Hornady LSWC.