The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 13, 2012, 09:02 AM   #26
Dashunde

Yankee, I'm a huge fan of the Kahrs having owned two perfect PM9's, its the only pistol I've bought, sold, and bought another one.
The CM9 is very hard to beat, and its low price is just icing.
The PPS would be my second choice for 9mm carry.
The Glock 26/27 are more than just a little bulkier/heavier - they're akin to a brick compared to the smaller Kahrs. I have a G27 but rarely carry it despite liking it very much.
Old November 13, 2012, 11:27 AM   #27
fender1974

I have have both the Kahr CM9 and the Kel-Tec PF9. Out of the two, I prefer the CM9 10 to 1 over the PF9. I originally bought the PF9 as I really liked the size, capacity and the feel of the gun. I had read all of the reviews (good and bad) prior to purchasing but figured that I've give it a try. I've had to send it back to Kel-Tec twice for FTExtract and Slide Peening issues. Kel-Tec has been great about taking care of the problems and I have nothing but great things to say about their customer service, but... for an EDC gun, it makes me hesitate based on the FTExtract problem. Since having it back this last time, I've run about 100 trouble free rounds through her, but have yet to carry based on the initial problems. It does have quite a kick for a 9mm, but it's only due to the size and weight of the gun.

The CM9 has been great from day one. There is nothing that I don't like about this gun for EDC.

I also own a couple of Glocks and LOVE everything about them. I would really like to use either the 19 or the 23 as an EDC, but with them being striker fired and the fact that I carry AIWB, it makes me a little nervous and therefore I don't CC them. The Kahr CM9 is alsp striker fired, but the striker is only partially cocked (I really hope this is correct) and requires a much longer trigger pull and makes me feel better about AIWB carry.

Good luck in your decision!
Old November 13, 2012, 09:52 PM   #28
orionengnr

I've owned the PM9 for about five years.
In that time I have bought/tried a bunch of others. They are all gone, and the PM9 is still here.

Take that for what it's worth.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:20 PM   #29
ScotchMan

I'd be hesitant to have it be your only CCW choice, and it is definitely not the best 9mm CCW. If you can conceal anything bigger, it will be better, and I find it really unlikely the CM9 is the biggest gun you can conceal. A Glock 26, for example, is a lot easier to shoot, holds more ammunition, and is a more reliable design.

I like the CM9 a lot and it will probably be one of the next guns I buy. But it will never be my primary CCW, because its so easy to conceal a double stack, or at the very least, a Shield/PPS sized single stack.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 14, 2012, 06:25 PM   #30
Dragline45

I want to like the polymer Kahrs but I can't own a firearm where part of the break in process is chewing up the polymer frame rails. I know I there are metal inserts, but still in my mind that's not a pistol that will last you down the road.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:31 PM   #31
Nathan

I really struggle with why the C series is so much cheaper!

I have a P40. I like it because it has the DLC coating and night sights. I would consider a PM40, but that would really be too small most of the time for me. I'm not big on 2 finger guns in real calibers other than J frames with boot grips.

Glad you like your Kahr. Kahr seems to own the small auto market for now, IMHO. Everything else is too tall or wide to be a small fast shooter.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:37 PM   #32
Theohazard

Quote:
I also own a couple of Glocks and LOVE everything about them. I would really like to use either the 19 or the 23 as an EDC, but with them being striker fired and the fact that I carry AIWB, it makes me a little nervous and therefore I don't CC them. The Kahr CM9 is alsp striker fired, but the striker is only partially cocked (I really hope this is correct) and requires a much longer trigger pull and makes me feel better about AIWB carry.
The Glock is as safe, if not safer, to carry with a round in the chamber. It has a half-cocked striker as well; the Kahr is just one of many designs that mimic a lot of the Glock's features. The Glock trigger is lighter and shorter, but it also has the safety in the face of the trigger that lessens the chance of an accidental discharge if something snags the trigger. But it's virtually impossible for either a Kahr or Glock to fire unless you pull the trigger, so just make sure you have a holster that protects the trigger guard and you're good to go.

In my opinion the Kahr trigger is too long has a terrible reset that basically encourages you to slap the trigger, but obviously many people like it.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:37 AM   #33
kahrguy

Lets see glock weight almost 5 to 6oz more , longer and wider than a cm/pm9 . As far as the trigger whinning goes if you don't have a close mind any smooth trigger can be mastered, heavy or light. Some feel on a smaller pistol the shorter light trigger can be a problem when under higher stress levels. Too many shooters today have that closed mind problem. Glocks are good pistols but the problem with the baby glocks is its still got the same thick brick body and a rather looong slide for the class . Trade it on a g19 and a iwb holster its great CC. As a pocketable pistol theres to many other choices to waste time on a wanta be thin small glock that are real sub compacts.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:33 AM   #34
Theohazard

Quote:
kahrguy posted
Lets see glock weight almost 5 to 6oz more , longer and wider than a cm/pm9 . As far as the trigger whinning goes if you don't have a close mind any smooth trigger can be mastered, heavy or light. Some feel on a smaller pistol the shorter light trigger can be a problem when under higher stress levels.
I always find it interesting that when objective pros and cons of different models are discussed - with a few opinions thrown in for good measure - some people seem to take it personally. I'm not bashing one or the other, I'm just discussing facts and objective observations here:

-The Kahr is smaller and easier to carry and conceal than the Glock.
-I've observed that many people, especially very experienced shooters, find the Kahr's trigger to be an impediment to fast, accurate shooting when compared with a trigger like on the Glock, Shield, PPS, etc.
-Many people like the extra safety measure of the Kahr's long trigger.

Kahrguy, I'm not maligning your Kahr and claiming the Glock is better in every way, I'm simply comparing the two and their respective pros and cons.

Last edited by Theohazard; November 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old November 15, 2012, 12:15 PM   #35
ScotchMan

My issue is I haven't come across a *pocket* 9mm better than the Kahr. I have issues with the Kahr's design as well, which is why I don't have one yet. If Glock came out with something similarly sized (jeans pocket sized), or better yet, a Shield or PPS with an inch chopped off both ends, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

But, of the truly pocket-sized 9mms, I think the Kahr is the best choice. If S&W makes a Bodyguard 9mm, I will be all over it.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 16, 2012, 01:59 PM   #36
smokehouse4444

I traded in a Kahr CW9 for the smaller CM9 about 6 months ago or so. It truly is an excellent pocket handgun. I really like SIG's, and for awhile I was contemplating exchanging the Kahr for the SIG P290...just 'cause. I tried them out side by side and decided not to do it, and I feel that was a good choice. I really liked the feel of the trigger on the Kahr better than the SIG, and definitely like it better than any Glock. I have not had one failure to fire/eject since I have owned it....although I thought it did the last time I was at the range. I had been shooting my SIG's (P220/226) quite a bit and didn't let the Kahr's trigger reset enough. My bad. It is a phenomenal little gun that I've grown to like more and more the longer I have it.
Old November 16, 2012, 05:00 PM   #37
Dashunde

Quote:
If Glock came out with something similarly sized ...or better yet, a Shield or PPS with an inch chopped off both ends, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
You and everybody else.
Seems they all only want to sell us what they think we need, instead of what we really want... go figure.

The Kahrs are just about the longest running micro-9, and its STILL the smallest after 10 years or so (the $1000 boutique Rohrbaughs dont count).
Its kinda pathetic really... all these years later with a massive influx of CCW spreading through most all states that the other company's have yet to better the Kahr in more than one way at a time.
Many better it in this way or that way, but none have managed to surpass its overall combination of trigger, size, recoil, etc all at the same time.
If only Kahr would "melt" the slides a little and do away with that protruding slide release...
Old November 17, 2012, 08:15 PM   #38
kahrguy

theohazard Guess my point was compare apples to apples , don't mix in oranges. Your comparison could like comparing a K frame to a L frame. Both can be 6 shot revolvers but thats all thats the same,
Old November 17, 2012, 10:48 PM   #39
Luger_carbine

If price is not a concern you should check out the Rohrbaugh R9.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:54 PM   #40
KC AutoBob

Last Thursday I had the opportunity to shoot a friend's Kahr PM9. He had just bought it and was experiencing some difficulties with it, so we went to the range to see what he was experiencing. Now, I've carried a Keltec P-11 for close to 15 years and have always been quite satisfied with it's reliability. The trigger pull, as many have noted, is difficult to master. I have not, but can shoot it well enough for close up, and it holds 10 rounds of +P 9mm. That's kept me loyal to it. However, when I shot my friend's PM9 and was putting repeated rounds into one ragged hole at 7 yards, a feat I've never managed with the P-11, well,brother, I was sold on it! Great trigger, sights that work for me, and superior mechanical qualities are there. The really important feature is how you managing shooting such a small pistol, whether it's a little semi-auto like a P-11, a PM9, or a 14 oz. S&W J-frame revolver. If it doesn't fit your hand, or your range of experience, you won't be satisfied with a little, hard-to shoot gun.
I've struggled for years to master my P-11, but shooting that PM9 convinced me to put some $$ down on another one they had there for sale, on consignment, in the shop. It belongs to an ex-DA who bought it about 7 years ago, and never shot it! So, now, I will enjoy....

P.S.: IMHO, finding the "right" pistol, especially a very small gun, is a very personal process, not without it's frustrations.

Last edited by KC AutoBob; November 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:52 AM   #41
Theohazard

Quote:
kahrguy posted:
theohazard Guess my point was compare apples to apples , don't mix in oranges. Your comparison could like comparing a K frame to a L frame. Both can be 6 shot revolvers but thats all thats the same,
But my comparison of the Glock vs. the Kahr was specifically in response to the poster who said they feel comfortable carrying their Kahr with a round in the chamber, but not their Glock. I simply pointed out that the Glock was as safe (if not safer) to carry than the Kahr, and then I made a comment on the Kahr's trigger.

If you want me to move the discussion back to apples vs. apples, I'll say that I wish Kahrs had triggers closer to the ones on the Shield and the PPS, because otherwise they're really nice little guns.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:44 AM   #42
Dashunde

^ I'll say this on it...

The Glock/PPS trigger is notably better for rapid/SD shooting - quicker reset.
I think their clean break aids accuracty too.

The Kahr trigger is better for carry imo. I dont ever need to reposition that tiny gun from shot-to-shot. Perhaps that pull settles it into the thumbs web better, I dont know, but it all works great for being so small.
The trigger itself is darn nice too - smooth faced and wide with buttery mechanicals.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:27 AM   #43
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazzard
I've observed that many people, especially very experienced shooters, find the Kahr's trigger to be an impediment to fast, accurate shooting when compared with a trigger like on the Glock, Shield, PPS, etc.
Thats true, the first time I shot my Kahr PM9 I out ran the trigger reset. It has a nice smooth pull though, it just requires getting used to it and practice.

My shot string times are still pretty fast though. Its not hard to draw and shoot six accurate shots in the two second time range with it.
Old November 19, 2012, 03:05 PM   #44
kahrguy

Theohazard Anyone that is uncomfortable CC'n with a holster that has issues about a chanber round in a modern handgun simply does not understand how they work. Thats there problem.

Guess I just never cared that much about trigger type or weight so long as it smooth and grit free. Grew up shooting mainly sa/da revolvers so to me a glocks trigger is fine. So long as a trigger is smooth and grit free is my main issue .
Old November 19, 2012, 03:36 PM   #45
dajowi

I had a Kahr K-9 and found it to be a great pistol. A bit heavier than any of the polymer models though.
Old November 19, 2012, 07:38 PM   #46
YankeeIronSights

Update:

I visited my LGS and found a used, latest PM9 in "like new" condition with loaded chamber indicator, improved trigger and safety feature for $469.00

This new model was designed for Massachusetts residents. It included just one magazine - 7 rounds.

I placed it on lay-away. I don't care much for the safety and LCI, but the improved trigger is Sweet and the price was just ideal for my pocket.

The pistol looks like the one on this video link:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=E4t1Y...%3DE4t1Y-GonAc

Last edited by YankeeIronSights; November 19, 2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the video link.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:33 PM   #47
Schnitzjr

If you want a thin, compact pistol with a sweet trigger buy a Bersa bp9cc. $350, tough to beat. Mine has been awesome past 1000 rounds.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:24 AM   #48
deputy tom

YankeeIronSights, you will be very happy with your new pistol.I'd buy that PM too if I had the chance. For me the CM works well. It has become my favorite pocket pistol to date. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old November 20, 2012, 03:56 PM   #49
Luger_carbine

Does anyone have the PM9 with the LCI ?

Can you see it when you're looking down the sights, or is it obscured from view?

When I first saw it sticking out of the top of the slide I just didn't like the idea...
Old November 21, 2012, 04:31 PM   #50
Fishbed77

My CM9 has been a fantastic little pistol. 100% reliable from the very first shot.