The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 1999, 02:02 AM   #1
DAL

Did I just ruin my .38 Spl. carbide resizing die? There must have been some dirt or grit on one of the cases because now I'm seeing long vertical scratches on the cases after resizing. Are these just a cosmetic problem, or will they affect the integrity of the cases?

BTW, I cleaned out the die and when I looked in it, there appeared to be scratch marks on the carbide collar in one spot.

Thanks for your help with this.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
Old December 22, 1999, 07:34 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

First try some crocus cloth in your die.

The scratches will eventually affect case integrity, but are mostly cosmetic for 38. Time for another die (gotta love Lee).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old December 23, 1999, 02:21 PM   #3
zot

I cracked a resizing die .44 mag and Lee
replaced it free, most companies will send ya
a new die if its their fault its messed up.
Old December 23, 1999, 08:13 PM   #4
DAL

Unfortunately, I think it was my fault. The cases were dirty, but I did 'em anyway. I was under the impression that carbide is so hard it's difficult to hurt it. Much to my chagrin, I found out differently. Oh well, live and learn. I'll order a new resizing die in a few days; I still have a set of .357 Mag. dies that I can use the resizing die from, but I'll order another .38 Spl. resizer anyway.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
Old December 23, 1999, 08:29 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Whoa DAL, before you buy another 38 Spcl die. The .357 and 38 Spcl dies are generally interchangeable. If you can find the right thickness of washer to place under the expander and seating dies, you won't even have to readjust those when going from caliber to caliber. If your 38 Spcl exp. and seating dies are still good, you won't even need to worry about the washer bit.
Old December 23, 1999, 10:50 PM   #6
swifter...

Redding makes a 3-washer set to shift between .38/.357, .44 Spec/.44Mag, and one to allow "necksizing" with a FL die. costs about $5-6.

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old December 24, 1999, 02:02 AM   #7
TacTrain

DAL, you did not specify which die manufacture you have, but most carbide resizing dies have a small carbide resizing insert in the very base of the die throat. If you adjust the die so pressure is exerted from the shell holder when you lever the jam, it will most likely crack the carbide insert. Once cracked it is ruined and needs to be replaced. The manufacturer should service and replace the insert but it may or may not be at a cost to you.

If I have understood your situation correctly, it is critical on most carbide dies to leave a small gap between the throat of the sizing die (bottom) and the shell holder. Refer to your die setup instructions for the proper spacing.....Hope this helps.

Best Regards.....
"Train as You Live and Live as You Train"