The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 3, 2013, 02:27 AM   #1
Topkicker

1st time buying a gun safe.

I've decided it's time to get a safe. I'll be buying a new Browning safe from Bass Pro. I have no way of moving it myself. It will be delivered but my understanding is they will drop it off in the garage on the main level. I have a finished walk out basement with a room that will be just for my firearms, new safe, and a desk. Who does this type of moving and what would be a fair price to pay to have it moved down stairs? Any helpful tips will be great. Thanks in advance.
Old July 3, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2
jmhyer

Don't know about pricing but you might check with a piano mover. Don't really know but it was the first thing that popped into my head.
Old July 3, 2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Topkicker

That's funny. I thought the same thing when I posted this. Guess I'll check and see. I can't be the first person to have a safe moved. LOL
Old July 4, 2013, 12:21 AM   #4
Farmerjon

Rent a two wheeled dolly and get a couple of buddies to help you and put it in there yourself.
Old July 5, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5
big al hunter

There are professional safe movers with specialized equipment. Google search for safe movers. They can give a quote over the phone.
Old July 5, 2013, 02:48 PM   #6
creightonenterprises

Quote:
Rent a two wheeled dolly and get a couple of buddies to help you and put it in there yourself.
If you have a truck or large van then this is all you need.
Old July 5, 2013, 04:34 PM   #7
southjk

Quote:
If you have a truck or large van then this is all you need.
I don't think he'll need that to get the safe down some stairs. The place he is buying from will deliver to the house.

When I bought mine (400lbs) they dropped it off in the garage. With my two wheeler I was able to get it up the one step into the house and into the room at the other end of the house by myself. If you have some friends with strong backs I would also suggest renting a two wheeler. Shouldn't be too bad with a couple of other people. Strap the safe to the dolly, one guy holding the dolly handle and maybe a couple others behind him with ropes tied to the dolly. I wouldn't recommend a guy below it in case it slipped.
Old July 5, 2013, 05:06 PM   #8
AllenJ

Before I answer this question I'd like to know which model safe you are getting? The Platinum Plus PP63 weighs in at over 1800 pounds, way more than any two of us are going to handle with a standard dolly!
Old July 6, 2013, 11:47 AM   #9
603Country

I can't add much safe moving advice, but I can tell you from experience that your safe will be too small eventually. Get a big one.
Old July 6, 2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Old Stony

I have to agree with 603 country....get a big one. You will outgrow it..
Old July 6, 2013, 01:27 PM   #11
Slotback

Friends with strong backs, weak minds and offer a bonus of beer or steak dinner...oh and a quality dolly really helps.
Old July 7, 2013, 04:50 PM   #12
BigD_in_FL

Contact a local locksmith who sells safes - either he will know how to do it, or he can most likely refer you to a mover who does it. With a walk-out basement, is it possible to have the truck drive around to that side of the house? (It might take a $20 or two for that); otherwise there are special dollies designed for stairs -but as another said - if it is the 1800 pounder, you'll need to hire the HS football team and have a kegger afterward
Old July 9, 2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Skans

Go back to Bass Pro and ask them if they offer a "premium service" for safe delivery not just into your home, but placed where you want it. I just inquired about this from another safe company and they said that kind of service typically runs about $300 extra and can be arranged upon sale. Short of that, the guy said that many of the drivers will help move the safe (in the 700-900lb range) for a tip. I'm guessing the tip would be somewhere around $100-$150.