The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2010, 02:43 PM   #26
johnbt

The Brits said it was sub-tropical 200 years ago, but that's splitting hairs. I went to high school in Rockville fwiw.

Richmond is at least as humid and my basement has leaks through the 14-inch-thick solid brick walls when it rains really hard. It was built in 1916 in what is now the Museum District. My house does not have central AC. A large safe is in the unfinished basement next to the water heater and boiler for the radiator system and the guns are fine after many years.

I use 2 Golden Rods and wipe my guns down lightly with a Rig Rag. You can't even see the grease or really even feel it unless you're looking for it. Once a year I throw some vapor chips (or those Remington vapor emitting plastic bore thingies - whatever is on sale) in the safe too.

One GR is across the front of the floor by the bottom of the door and one is at right angles running front to back under the shelves. I pulled the shelves away from the back wall a 1/4 of an inch or so for better air circulation.

I have some in-the-white steel scraps in the safe playing mine canary. No rust or discoloration at all.

It gets really humid in the basement when I run the washing machine, but then the gas dryer pumps some of it outside.

John

edited to add: I initially tried the 2 Golden Rods AND a large tub of flower drying crystals AND a large box of the crystals that are sold for gun safes. I never got the crystals to last as long as a week, so I gave them away.

Last edited by johnbt; June 30, 2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old June 30, 2010, 03:17 PM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The Brits said it was sub-tropical 200 years ago"

And the French, and the Prussians...

Not just 200 years ago. It was still considered to be a tropical posting in diplomatic services as late as the 1930s.

I've not invested in a Golden Rod yet, and as long as things continue to be fine as they are I don't think that I will.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 6, 2010, 06:11 PM   #28
James R. Burke

I have a damp basement. Just keep them wiped off with Rem Oil, and make sure there are no finger markes on them. Never had a problem.
Old July 16, 2010, 10:06 AM   #29
a1bigtuna

I have used the DampRid, but stopped as I believe it actually draws in the moisture from outside air through the door/safe seam. I just use the rechargeable silica gel with a Goldenrod and have a humidity monitor with memory so it will list the min/max of temp and humidity. The latest silica that I bought can be recharged with a standard oven or a microwave (much quicker), but watch that the one you buy can be used in a microwave, not all of them can be.
Old July 16, 2010, 06:51 PM   #30
Brian48

My safe is in the basement and I have had no problems with rust thus far despite moderate dampness. Unfortunately, I have no way of installing an Goldenrod or heated lightsource without drilling into it somehow, so I get by using the following precautions.

1. I keep all my guns and mags wiped down with Breakfree/CLP, even the stainless. Figured it couldn't hurt.

2. I used a vapor shield with this Bullfrog product (VCP). It's very cheap and you can use it up to a year before needing to replace it.

3. I have four of these Remington mini Dehumidiers sitting on various shelves in the safe. They are convenient and are much more easy to recharge than standard desiccant packs. Note: these are the same units that mikejonetkd posted, only branded by Remington.
Old July 16, 2010, 07:21 PM   #31
TheJ

I posted about VCI materials before and think they may be a cost effective useful addition to the layers of protection in a humid situation. Basically, it is the same type of thing as the Bull Frog material posted about by Brian48. but there are versions that last 1,2 up to 5 years actually. what I posted about was a product called Zerust I found at Lowe's (they also make the Kobalt tool chest anti-corrosion liner) but there are other companies that make similar product. From my limited research it is effective and pretty inexpensive.
Old July 25, 2010, 02:13 PM   #32
cybor462

For us non techie types, what % of humidity would have to be constant to start rust. We are in PA and yes it is humid. I run the a/c when it is hot do not like a/c rather have the breeze but this summer has been hot so the a/c is on.
I have a dehumidfier in the same room as the safe and my electronic meter reads 45-50% most of the time in the room.
The safe is not opened much and so far I do not see any rust.

Just curious how high is too high
Old July 25, 2010, 05:50 PM   #33
a1abdj

45% t0 55% humidity at 70 degrees is considered ideal storage conditions.