The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 20, 2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Delynn

Whats the best cold weather boot

I can not seem to find my cold weather hunting boots. I think the wife has sent them to the garbage man. Any advice on good boats. There is a ton out there but some are much better than others. Some are hot and some are cold but some seem to work well in warm weather and cold weather. My last pair never seem to make my feet sweat in warm weather but still kept them warm in 10 degree weather sitting in a tree stand. Those were good boots. I have been reading about different boots and some claim less insulation is better and some claim the opposite. I know you don't want your feet to sweat but I don't want them to freeze either. Man I sure miss my old boots. Anyone have any advice.
Old November 20, 2006, 07:45 PM   #2
mcgiiver

Mickey Mouse Boots

The original Army mickey mouse boots can't be beat for keeping you warm. I have stood in ice water for over an hourwith these on and my feet never got cold. I am very intolerant of cold conditions, too. Be sure you look at originals, not knock off versions.
Old November 20, 2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

The original Mickey Mouse boots are the best by far, but the real deal can be hard to find.

I personally like the Baffin Extremes. They're a little bit bulky, but I have yet to find conditions that made my feet cold while wearing them, and that includes hours at -20 degrees F. and wading small flowing streams with air temps in the teens.

The only time I had my feet sweat in them was shortly after I got them, and I made the mistake of wearing two pair of wool socks. Baffins plus one pair of wool socks over a pair of nylon socks to wick away moisture equals real comfort .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 20, 2006, 10:21 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

Yeah I like the mickey mouse boots too, but when i was stationed in ND they issued use LaCrosse pac boots. These things are bulky , but are competely rubberized and waterproof. They went up to my knee almost and were great in the cold (saw -70 windchills with -30's ambient). The cost on them is near 200 bucks though. Check out the surplus sites our stores for the mickey mouse boots.

For insulated hunting boots I would recommend rocky or danner. They are tops in my books. Never had a problem with them in the past.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old November 20, 2006, 11:30 PM   #5
HSMITH

Whites boots are the best money will buy. http://www.drewsboots.com/pac.htm#elkguide
Old November 20, 2006, 11:42 PM   #6
BILLDAVE

Irish Setters by Red Wing

Irish Setters made by Red Wing. I don't know if they still make them, but they are an excellent boot. Good to walk in and to sit in a treestand. I have had years of good serivce with this boot. Used them this past weekend to whitetail deer hunt. BILLDAVE
Old November 21, 2006, 01:10 PM   #7
dairycreek

These are really excellent and not too bulky. http://www.columbia.com/

GOOD SHOOTING
Old November 22, 2006, 12:12 PM   #8
Delynn

Just ordered a pair of Baffins. They look good. I think they will be just what I am looking for. Thanks for all the advice. As for the mickey mouse boots. I tried to looked them up but was unsure of what I was looking at. I will let everyone know what I think of the Baffins. Thanks Again
Old November 22, 2006, 05:41 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

Which Baffins did you order? I'd go with a Baffin, LaCrosse, or White's, as mentioned, if ordering extreme boots again. But in addition to those, the Irish Setter Bucktracker 1600 is supposed to have the warmth of a pac booth with a bit more of the flexibility & lighter weight of an ordinary boot, since they use thinsulate instead of felt. I have these - kinda doubt they work as well as a Baffin or Lacrosse at insulating against cold, however. Luckily, it doesn't get that cold here...

http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp?Styl...-_-none-_-none

The Cabela Inferno 2000 is a similar concept:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&cm_ite=netcon
Old November 22, 2006, 08:58 PM   #10
rem33

Danner makes a pretty good insulated boot if your not wanting a pack boot. I have a pair with wool socks I have ridden the Harley in 30 and 40 degree weather all day and not had cold feet.

First and foremost unlike some products there is no such thing as a good cheap boot, that has been my experience. I have worked in the mountains and construction most of my life wearing boots. I could be wrong and there are good cheap boots I just never found any.
Whites , Wesco, Nicks, all are great boots. I know there are others but these are concidered among if not the best out there. I wear Danner's 18000's a lot the're close but not quite as heavy as the others but are enough for me in most situations.

For most applications lightly insulated boots with good wool sock can do a pretty good job, and you can take some cotton socks along easy if you get to warm.
Old November 23, 2006, 02:30 AM   #11
Limeyfellow

It simply doesn't get cold enough for mickey boots here in North Carolina. It rarely gets into single digits even in the worse of winter.

I in the end went with a pair of Silvis mohican boots in brown leather. They come with 200 grams of thinsulate that keep me feet nice and warm and I have some booties for when it gets as cold as it can here. Come equipped with vibram soles, very well stitched, waterproof and most importantly they were the most comfortable pair of boots I ever tried in my life. Of course what fits on one man doesn't mean it applies to others and I have weird shaped feet.
Old November 23, 2006, 04:33 PM   #12
fairview mick

Boots

When I first started my towing service, i was out in the trucks alot myself. In Cleveland, the wind and snow off Lake Erie could be brutal. I used Sorel Pac boots and my feet were the warmest part of my body. Also when moose hunting in Northern Quebec at 10 to 15 below, the boots were good. One draw back. They're big and bulky and some times, if they're not snug enough, you'll rub blisters on a day with alot of walking. They surely kept me warm, though.
Mickey
Old November 24, 2006, 08:21 AM   #13
Delynn

I went with the Baffin expedition extreme winter boot. I too believe that most times, you get what you pay for. And boot are in that catagory. The weather we are going to hunt in is lows in the teens and high around 30. Stand hunting all day. That is not cold for some of you but for us Florida boys that is brutal. I think I will be OK but, I don't think I will take my swim trunks and flip flops with me. Heck I just started wearing jeans about 2 weeks ago. I wear shorts everyday all summer long. Teens man that is Cold.
Old November 24, 2006, 02:36 PM   #14
skeeter1

Maybe I was just lucky, but I picked up a pair of rubberized boots with felt liners (K-Mart, I think) about 30 years ago. Add a pair of wool socks, and my toes were good even after six hours in a duck blind in the snow. A good thermos bottle full of soup helps as well.

I did get two geese that day, and they were a pain to clean and de-feather, but they cooked up (OK, my mom cooked them) were mighty tasty!
Old November 25, 2006, 12:33 AM   #15
Trip20

If you want serious cold weather boots, the LaCrosse Ice Kings are top notch. I wear them while ice fishing, which says alot about the warmth provided by these boots. Even when temps plunge below zero, and wind chills plunge further yet - Ice Kings do the job.

I also wear them while stand hunting. Since you don't move much in a stand, you need something that'll make up for the lack of blood circulation and I know the Ice Kings provide that necessary insulation.

I don't recommend these boots if you're going to be doing a lot of walking as they are a bit bulky and heavy. To the stand and back, or while standing on the ice - they're fine.

If you're doing a lot of walking, you don't need as much insulation as your body will be circulating warm blood more efficiently.
Old November 25, 2006, 01:32 AM   #16
Fremmer

I bought Browning boots w/800 grams of thinsulste. I've been really impressed with them. They breathe well, have a good tread, they're light, and waterproof. I'd buy another pair. My feet have been warm while sitting in the low 20's. If you will be walking much, get 800 or 1000 gram boots. Heavier boots if you mostly hunt from a stand and don't have to walk much. Huge heavy boots are terrible for walking through snow.
Old November 27, 2006, 02:14 PM   #17
Alakar

Delynn, this is what Mickey Mouse Boots are:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-mickey-mouse-boots.htm

Quote:
First issued to U.S. GIs during the Korean War, Mickey Mouse boots are designed for combat and shielded against water and extreme cold. A wool-lined interior and several layers of rubber serve as insulation. Their most distinguishable features are their giant size and pure white color. Reminded of the iconic cartoon character, soldiers joked they were in Mickey Mouse's shoes. The rubber was tinted white to camouflage with snow.

That incarnation of a cold weather boot was derived from the earlier "shoepac" of WWII. These were also white, but not as thick or durable - they were intended as an outer layer for shoes. Shoepacs did not stand up to the bitter cold snap of the winter of 1951 in Korea, when temperatures plunged far below their average, and army tents were scant protection. At a time when men were wearing their sleeping bags during the day to keep from freezing, Mickey Mouse boots were highly valued as a vast improvement over the protection of ordinary leather boots covered in shoepacs.

Since the rubber boot, which reached halfway up the calf, wasn't ventilated in any way, the wearer's sweat collected quickly. Men were constantly changing their socks, and drying wet socks between layers of their clothing. This was hardly an inconvenience considering how warm their feet remained. The boots prevented frostbite even at -20 or —30 degrees Fahrenheit (-29 to -34 Celsius); a thin layer of air trapped between two layers of rubber acts as a powerful insulator. A greater problem was that the weight and bulk of Mickey Mouse boots adversely affected a person's mobility, and weren't comfortable for long treks.

Many generations of the military have continued to wear these boots, also called "M&M's". Now they're available in black, with pressure valves, special moisture-wicking liners, and ratings down to an amazing —60 degrees Fahrenheit (-51 Celsius). Through Army Surplus sources the average outdoor adventurer can buy authentic GI Issue Mickey Mouse boots. Backpackers, fishers, or campers exposed to ice, snow, and water can enjoy their sport without fear of frozen toes.
http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/pro...SKU=5173U&ST=2

Old November 30, 2006, 12:58 AM   #18
nicadema

Trying the Wolverine Impala

I just ordered a pair of Wolverine Impalas. 800g GoreTex, Thinsulate, and only avg 2.9lb/pair. I too hate cold feet but cannot bear to stalk through rough terrain in 6lb boots (pair). Did a lot of research and these seemed to fit the bill. Even at 160.00 for the couple.
Old November 30, 2006, 04:26 PM   #19
USMCG_HMX1

I used to have a pair of the Matterhorn model 1997 (US Marine/DOD contract with Danner) boots with 800 gram Thinsulate and I loved them ..... until my car was stolen and the boots were in the car.

Incredibly comfortable, even right out of the box, and very tough. Never too warm or too cold in them, ranging in temps from the 70's and 80's down to -30 (wore them from Los Angeles/Orange County all the way to Big Bear).

Kris
Old November 30, 2006, 05:21 PM   #20
FirstFreedom

So how do the valves work on the Mickey Mouse boots?

-FF, who can't believe he paid $170 for the Bucktracker 1600s, when the M&Ms are $70 at sportsman's guide and would work better.
Old November 30, 2006, 07:25 PM   #21
UniversalFrost

Hey guys disregard my last post about the Lacrosse boots. I just dug them out of the attic and they are Sorel Black Diamonds. I did a quick search to find the specs, but they appear to be discontinued. The closest I could find were the Sorel Glacier boots http://www.sorel.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=110&prod=51

Product description

Our warmest boot. Built for extreme cold, this tall nylon boot features a removable ThermoPlus® liner and extra underfoot insulation.

UPPER:
Durable water and wind resistant PU backed 1000 denier Cordura© nylon
Drawstring with barrel lock closure
INSULATION:
Removable 13mm ThermoPlus™ felt InnerBoot
MIDSOLE:
Removable 13mm Sorel© Meltdown Midsole™
2.5mm bonded felt frost plug
Sorel rated to -100°F (-73.3°C)

Old December 1, 2006, 05:00 PM   #22
FirstFreedom

those look warm, UF!
Old December 1, 2006, 05:28 PM   #23
UniversalFrost

Yup and they will be for sale soon. since I just got a job offer in Arizona I don't think I will need them anymore unless the movie day after tommorrow becomes reality.

Old December 2, 2006, 12:36 AM   #24
moose fat

AKA; Bunny Boots, Oh My God I've Forgot That Waskaly Wabbits Name

FF, the valves are to equalize the air pressure when going up in an airplane w/out a pressurized cabin. And, the white ones are warmer than the black ones, I have both. The commercial makers' are BATA and MINER. They are heavy, but oh so warm. If they get wet inside, like when you break thru an overflow you just wipe out the inside, change your socks and continue on (as long as the valve is closed).