The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2000, 08:17 PM   #1
fed168

My uncle just gave me his reloading equipment, and I am planning on brewing up some .223. It will be shot out of an AR, so should I just neck size the case or full length it? And should I get a two or three piece die set?
Old November 27, 2000, 12:08 PM   #2
bergie

Wow! what all did you get? Did your uncle giving you any lessons on how to run the stuff? If not, ask him, also the guys here on the board can help you out with any questions you might have.
When loading for a semi-automatic rifle, it is generally recommended that you full length size all brass to help ensure proper feeding and extraction. As for die sets, I generally use Lee sets which come with the sizing die, seating die, and factory crimp die for my rifle loads.
bergie
Old November 27, 2000, 03:45 PM   #3
fed168

Bergie, he gave me the Rock Chucker Master Kit, plus dies for .38/357, .44 mag. I have loaded lots before, on a Rock Chucker and a 550, but have never loaded for a gas gun. All of it has been bolt guns and handguns. Too bad I can't get the Culver powder measure (Culver did it in the 80s for my dad) to go with it.