The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 1999, 02:16 PM   #1
headroom

I've got a box of Federal Gold Medal rifle primers sitting here and was looking at them and just looking at them they look so inconsistent in appearance. The regular federal primers usually look pretty uniform but these don't look the same. The primer cups all look good and all the anvils look good but the primers are not filled uniformly. Am I worrying about nothing or what?

By the way, who all went shooting today, seeing as its the 4th?
Old July 4, 1999, 11:32 PM   #2
bfoster

Headroom... What are you looking at? The colorant is rarely uniformly applied, but, in most lots, these are some of the best performing primers on the market.
Old July 4, 1999, 11:53 PM   #3
flatlander

I bought some Fed. Gold Medal small rifle primers to use in a 6PPC benchrest rifle, since that's what all the big boys use. When I chronographed loads with the Fed. primers side by side with loads primed with WSR's, I was kinda suprised to find that the WSR's gave less spread than the Fed. "Match" primers. I'm not at all sure why the BR guys use them, but my groups out of that LV PPC have been just as small using WSR's.
Old July 5, 1999, 07:10 AM   #4
Colduglandon

Bought some primers two weeks ago. The Winchesters came in a new blue box. The lable on one of the boxes, the large rifle I think, said that the primer surface was now more sensitive. Lee has a warning on their hand priming tool. They say not to use primers that are too sensitive. They recommend CCI and Winchester. Does this mean that now I should stay away from Winchester?
Old July 5, 1999, 10:27 AM   #5
Little-e

OK, you have gone and gotten me worried now. Winchester is pretty much all I use and although I have seen the wording on the new box, I assumed they were still meant to get pressed into the primer pocket without trouble. Has anyone heard about them going off before you want them to?
Old July 6, 1999, 10:09 AM   #6
flatlander

Over on the GunTalk board a couple of weeks ago, a HighPower shooter who shoots an M1A was having problems with a new lot of VVN540 powder - his normal groups had opened up quite a bit. When all the posts were sorted out, it came to light that he's using a new lot of WLR primers, without the old nickle plating. They're in the blue box. When he switched to Federal primers(I think that was the brand), his groups shrank back to the usual size. I don't think there's any danger of the primers being too sensitive to be safe, but I'm wondering why Winchester would have fooled around with them at all - so many of us use them in our match loads - hell's bells, for ALL our loads, and they've been so good for so long, why mess with success?
Old July 7, 1999, 12:38 AM   #7
Cheapo

I ran into them (the new & improved Winchester brass finish primers) in small pistol maybe six months ago. Seems to make no difference, but my 2-inch group handloads (25 yards, 5 shots) weren't that great anyway.

I say they just cheaped out and decided to find a benefit to the move. Nickle plating costs money, right? They just eliminated the plating.

Interesting to note that all the Silvertip loads I remember buying over the years had brass-finish primers.