The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 8, 2014, 10:37 PM   #1
jtfarr03

Help with a Chilean Mauser Bolt

A friend recently gave me a 1895 Chilean Mauser to clean and de-gunk. It had either never been fired, or only fired once about two decades ago. It still showed signs of cosmoline or some other sort of preserving gunk on the receive and bolt. I watched a few videos and thought I was ready to disassemble the bolt. I removed the bolt from the receiver with the safety at the middle position, unscrewed the rear portion of the bolt, pressed the firing pin in to my work bench to relieve the spring tension and rotated the cocking piece a quarter turn to the left. The youtube videos indicated at that point, the cocking piece should come off and the firing pin would be released. Instead, the cocking piece is now stuck at the quarter turn position and won't release or move back to the right or further to the left. The firing pin can be depressed down, but the cocking piece still won't move.

So - does anyone have idea how I can resolve this problem? Is there some trick that I can't find with diligent googling? Or should I just take the bolt to my local gunsmith and hope he can work some magic on it?

I'd note that I have plenty of experience with Mosin-Nagants and more modern stuff.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old September 9, 2014, 06:51 AM   #2
jtfarr03

Here are some pictures of the bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2852.JPG (91.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2853.JPG (90.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2854.JPG (115.7 KB, 44 views)
Old September 9, 2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Mobuck

Probably gunk or maybe a little burr on the firing pin notches. Take more pressure off the firing pin and using your 3rd hand twist the cocking piece with padded pliers/wrench.