The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 1, 2010, 01:46 PM   #1
arcticap

Range tested a used '58 Remington

I bought another used Pietta Remington .44 Target Model and this was proofed in 1993.
It had a dent on the side of the hammer face which buckled out and formed a burr just like another 1990's Pietta 1858 was recently described as having. The nipples being much harder than the hammer face and the strong main spring seems to have caused it. The burr touches the frame just a little but it doesn't affect function.
The cylinder pin gets wedged in so tight against the frame in the last 1/8" of its travel that a rubber mallet is needed to get it unstuck and backed out for reloading using a press.
The cylinder pin also showed that it had some previous gas cutting.
The nipples are undersize for using Remington #10's so I ended up pinching all of the caps.
My son and I fired 32 shots total loaded with 35 grains of highly compressed APP fffg, an overpowder card and both .451 & .454 balls.
I forgot to bring lube for the cylinder pin so after 18 shots I had to go and collect some motor oil from my car's dip stick to use. That allowed us to keep shooting for the entire number of pre-measured powder loads that I had.
The adjustable sight was hitting ~6" low and ~6" to the left even though it was already adjusted all of the way to the right.
The elevation adjustment should be easier to do.
The APP powder loads were potent and the gun boomed without any harsh recoil, so it was very pleasant and fun to shoot using some Kentucky windage. The .454 balls may have shot a little better than the .451's, but then we weren't shooting target loads either.
My son had enough room on his memory card for this 6 second video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBC72iuzrLw

And below is a photo of the pistol and the target that was shot from 25 yards:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110607a31%.JPG (159.0 KB, 320 views)
Old June 1, 2010, 01:50 PM   #2
arcticap

About the target

That target is a poster for the TV show Justified. A gun club member jumped through some hoops to get a bunch of them from the FX Network and we have another large advertising banner displayed inside our club range. That was part of the agreement to be able to get the bulk order of "targets" that arrived in heavy poster size boxes.
I never watched the show but it's on tonight and all of the episodes are available to watch on FX Network video for free.
I just watched the trailer for the first time and the star is suppose to be an 1850's style lawman in present day eastern Tennessee. Some guys have said that it was a good TV show.
Has anyone been watching it?
Since I have some of the targets I felt "justified" to just shoot them!
Here's the link to the FX Network to watch episodes:

http://www.fxnetworks.com/
Old June 1, 2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Hardcase

Excellent smoke and bang! I like the targets, too.
Old June 1, 2010, 03:29 PM   #4
horseman308

arcticap: I've been watching Justified. It's really quite good. It's set in eastern Kentucky (which honestly isn't that different from east Tennessee), but it is quite good. You should check it out.
Old June 2, 2010, 02:21 AM   #5
olyinaz

I like the show quite a bit.

Glad you had fun with yer iron!

Best,
Oly
Old June 2, 2010, 07:38 PM   #6
robhof

robhof

Since I'm currently living in Ky, I watched to see if I could recognize any of the locations, not being able to, I did some research and found that they film it in Pennsylvania. They do a fair job with the clothing and accent though.