The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2005, 01:31 AM   #26
DimitriS

Thanks for the input Smokey Joe and Wilson!

Quote:
Redding has a turret press (7 places for dies so you don't have to insert, remove, and adjust) which is also cast iron and appears to be built similarly, although a little spendy. No personal experience, but Redding makes good stuff generally.
They sell a RCBS Turret press at a hunting store here. It has 6 places though not 7. I was actually thinking about starting off with one since it will allow me to after I first properlly install the dies to worry more about reloading then changing the dies. And at 70$ Canadian (about 50$ US) more then a Rock Chucker its not a bad price.

Quote:
he's to busy using up your tax dollars.
Oh whats his job ??. Just wondering eventhough I am not in the US so its not really my tax dollars and I dont work alot so I dont really pay much in taxes. (I was a highschool student)

Thanks in advance for anything else you input

Dimitri
Old September 4, 2005, 02:40 AM   #27
Smokey Joe

RCBS turret

DimitriS--No personal experience w/the RCBS turret press, but the way they made everything I have used, I'd expect it to work just fine.
At $50 USD more you might be getting a bargain going w/the turret. A six-hole turret will hold 3 dies for each of 2 cartridges, and you mount yr powder measure on a separate stand.

(That's why the 7 hole Redding is attractive--2 cartridges' worth of dies PLUS room for the powder measure all right on the press--sweet! But, like I said, spendy.)

--Smokey Joe
Old September 4, 2005, 03:05 AM   #28
DimitriS

Thanks for the input Smokey Joe!

Well I think I am going to go with the RCBS turret then for sure.

As for the powder measure being seperate doesnt matter since I wasnt planing on turning the turret press 4 times to load one bullet and then do another one I was just going to use the Turret as convenince so I dont got to change dies

Also other then loading in 30-06 since it will be my only gun for a while being able to load 2 different loads on the same head isnt as important right now.

All the stages will be one at a time for all the cases I am going to be loading that way I can check and double check everything as I am making each load. Just to be sure everything is fine and I dont find out after that I loaded a bullet without a primer or powder.

So as for Dies I would need from what I have read and noticed I would probrobly need:

- 1 Universal Decap Die
- 1 Full lenght sizer
- 1 Bullet seater

Anything I am missing from this list ?? And do you think another company but RCBS would be better to get the dies from ?? RCBS is nice because I know stores around here carry them but if there is something you think will be more dependable then the extra charges to get it would be worth it I belive

And I know RCBS's sizer dies resize and remove the primer but I rather have a seperate die to remove the primiers before I lube and clean the cases.

Thanks in advance for all this input its been really helpful so far so any input will be great

Dimitri
Old September 4, 2005, 10:36 AM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

Dimitri,

Another press you ought to consider is the Forster Bonanza Co-ax press. More winning match loads are put together on this press now than any other. It doesn't have a turret. Instead it uses thick die adjustment rings that slide in and out sideways. You change dies for each loading operation, but because they slide straight in and out, you don't lose time turning threads in and out or re-checking the die adjustment. The change is almost as quick as spinning a turret one position. You still wind up performing each operation on all cases as a batch rather than loading progressively, but most people loading for accuracy don't mind the extra time since they are inspecting each round at each stage anyway. The press has a universal sliding V-jaw shell holder, so you don’t need separate shell holders. I load .223 and .308 in it changing nothing but the dies. The press comes with oversize jaws for 45-70 and other extra-wide chamberings.

Not many things cause measurable accuracy changes by themselves, but the seating die is one that can. I use the Redding Competition Seater Die exclusively now. Every general purpose seating die I've used will allow bullets up to 0.008" or more of runout at the neck, including the standard Redding seater dies. The Redding Competition Seater Die has never allowed more than 0.002" of measurable runout in any round I’ve loaded with one, and that was in military brass that was 0.002" thicker on one side of the neck than on the other. Out of my Browning A-bolt, this translated into taking 1.25" groups down to 0.75" at 100 yards.

Nick
Old September 4, 2005, 11:22 AM   #30
Smokey Joe

Another die

DimitriS--You'll want a neck-sizer die also--after the cases are fire-formed in yr bolt-action, you neck-size them, not FL size them, and they fit the chamber of the rifle better that way. Translates into greater accuracy.

I like the Lee Collet neck-sizing dies. Have 'em in several cartridges and they work nicely for me.

Were I you, I'd go with Unclenick's reccommendation on the Redding Comp Seater Die. Keeping the bullet runout as small as possible, again, translates to accuracy. (Runout=deviation from exactly straight in relation to the axis of the cartridge, and eventually, the axis of your bore.)

--Smokey Joe
Old September 4, 2005, 11:42 AM   #31
DimitriS

Thanks for the input Nick and Smokey Joe!

I am going to relook into the Redding dies. Hopefully I can find a source that ships it into Canada. I am going to check Cabelas right now

The Forster Bonanza Co-ax press I never heard of it to be honest. I wonder where I can get that and how much is it

Quote:
You'll want a neck-sizer die also--after the cases are fire-formed in yr bolt-action, you neck-size them, not FL size them, and they fit the chamber of the rifle better that way. Translates into greater accuracy.
Oh I see well then I am going to have to get a neck sizer. Lee Collet neck-sizing dies ok I will look into them

You all have been really great help so far and all the help I have been getting is great so anything else would be greatly appercated

Dimitri
Old September 4, 2005, 12:57 PM   #32
Unclenick
Staff

Dimitri,

Co-ax press: Midway #265719. $185.00 U.S. I don't know if they ship to Canada?
Midsouth Shooters Supply is a good source for Lee products and the Redding dies. I also don't know about them shipping to Canada. As long as it isn't live ammuntion or powder or primers, I don't know why anyone would care?

Nick
Old September 4, 2005, 07:58 PM   #33
DimitriS

Thanks for the links Nick!

I will check out Midsouth if they ship to Canada but Midway wont ship to Canada anything at all they said after a few exchanges of emails awhile back

I went to the hunting store today and they didnt have a copy of ABC's of Reloading instock so I am going to check out another store which I know will have it

Thanks for all the great help and anything you might add would be great

Dimitri
Old September 4, 2005, 11:14 PM   #34
rwilson452

TAx $

Quote:
he's to busy using up your tax dollars.

Ok not Can. tax $ U.S. tax bucks

My son is SSGT USA
Old September 4, 2005, 11:26 PM   #35
DimitriS

Wow thats cool

Good for him You must be proud

Thanks in advance for any and all input

Dimitri

Last edited by DimitriS; September 5, 2005 at 04:32 PM.