The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2012, 05:16 PM   #1
nmbrinkman

What if.....

Nosler put a ballistic tip on top of a partition? Seems it would be a more accurate partition. Can't really think of a downside.
Old November 10, 2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Bud Helms

This topic will be better served here than in Gear & Accys.
Old November 10, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3
steveno

I used the 160 grain partition in my Ruger #1A and it was by far the most accurate bullet ever shot in that rifle. this is 3 shots under .750 of inch as fast as I could shoot them not waiting for the barrel to cool down. that also included Sierra bullets and Nosler Ballistic Tips
Old November 11, 2012, 02:17 AM   #4
Scorch

Partitions are already expensive enough without adding to the cost of manufacturing. The idea of a tough, slow expanding pullet being topped by a wedge designed to force it to expand makes little sense to me, but then so did the original polymer tip on the excellent Nosler Solid Base bullet that gave us the Ballistic Tip grenade expansion. So please, don't give the boys at Nosler any more ideas.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Saskhunter

Why do you assume a plastic tip is responsible for accuracy? If it was, all target bullets would have them. As far as I know, none do.

The plastic tips are about initiating quick expansion, preventing deformation in magazines, and marketing. Accuracy is not at all a function of the plastic tip.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:40 AM   #6
steveno

a good crown on the barrel is probably a lot more important to accuracy than the point of a bullet
Old November 11, 2012, 09:51 AM   #7
hooligan1

nmbrinkman, try the Accubond, it penetrates, controlled expansion, and is very accurate.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:26 PM   #8
dacaur

Quote:
Why do you assume a plastic tip is responsible for accuracy? If it was, all target bullets would have them. As far as I know, none do.
While a plastic tip does indeed help initiate expansion (at least, so I have been told...) It ALSO helps with accuracy. Why dont all match bullets have them? Because a good consistent HP is actualy more accurate, but its cheaper and easier to stick a plastic tip on a bullet than give it a good consistent HP.... Otherwise, why do you imagine horady sticks them in their A-max bullets, which they specifically say NOT to use for hunting....

Basically, a plastic tip will be more accurate than a cheap hp bullet, but a HP match bullet will be more accurate, but also cost significantly more. The average poster here probably doesnt have the skill or equipment (or shoot at long enough range) to take advantage of the slightly better accuracy potential of premium hollow-points vs much less expensive plastic tips,
Old November 11, 2012, 04:36 PM   #9
William T. Watts

Saskhunter is spot on

The reason Ballistic Tip projectiles have explosive expansion they are essentially a hollow point.. I want deep penetration with the bullets I use, I have Nosler soft points in several calibers that will allow me to finish out my hunting days.. I should add usually the Nosler soft points punches a nice 2-3" hole on the off side of the animal and leaves a nice blood trail if they don't go down immediately.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; November 11, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old November 11, 2012, 05:28 PM   #10
RaySendero

Quote:
dacaur wrote:
Quote:
While a plastic tip does indeed help initiate expansion (at least, so I have been told...) It ALSO helps with accuracy.
No dacaur - From some of my recent reading, The tip of the bullet has the least effect on accuracy. Tip is way behind an imperfection at the base and lower on the accuracy list than concentric and consistent diameter.

You need to find out for yourself before making a statement. Try taking a box of 20 lead tipped bullets that one of your rifle likes and make an imperfection in the tips of 10 then shoot then shoot 2 5 shot groups with each half. Its been done and the tip imperfection didn't change the group size.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:30 PM   #11
hooligan1

The tenpoint I shot last year was about 80 yds, shot entered the ribs high behind the shoulder passed through both lungs. Went in .277, came out .500, or about the size of a dime. What more could I want from an accurate bullet?
Old November 11, 2012, 08:02 PM   #12
dacaur

Quote:
No dacaur - From some of my recent reading, The tip of the bullet has the least effect on accuracy. Tip is way behind an imperfection at the base and lower on the accuracy list than concentric and consistent diameter.
I didnt say the tip type is THE most important thing, but it does have an affect.

Quote:
You need to find out for yourself before making a statement. Try taking a box of 20 lead tipped bullets that one of your rifle likes and make an imperfection in the tips of 10 then shoot then shoot 2 5 shot groups with each half. Its been done and the tip imperfection didn't change the group size.
Lead tipped bullets already have horrendous tip performance, so its not surprising that messing up the tip on one doesnt have much of an affect on accuracy, thats why no one uses lead tipped bullets in matches.

Inside 200 yards, I dont expect tip type matters much at all anyway unless you are an expert shot with a very accurate rifle.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:12 PM   #13
ripnbst

The geometry of the bullet tip doesn't affect accuracy as much as you might think. Look at any rem core/lokts. Their soft point tips are so far from uniform I questioned whether they'd be even close to accurate. Turned out they were the most accurate bullets in that gun(Mossberg ATR 100 in .270 WIN)
Old November 11, 2012, 10:10 PM   #14
dacaur

at what range?
Old November 11, 2012, 10:24 PM   #15
RaySendero

Quote:
dacaur wrote:

Lead tipped bullets already have horrendous tip performance, so its not surprising that messing up the tip on one doesnt have much of an affect on accuracy, thats why no one uses lead tipped bullets in matches.

Inside 200 yards, I dont expect tip type matters much at all anyway unless you are an expert shot with a very accurate rifle.
One of my son's sight-in target for a club silhouette match - i.e. Lead tip bullets: