The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 27, 2002, 08:38 PM   #1
Gpappy

Ejector Fit Question

I recently purchased a couple of surplus Para Ordnance LDA slides to play with. I realize that they will not work on a standard 1911 without machining (like adding the Disconnector slot) but I wanted to use them for practice anyways. I tried them out on my P14 and my Springfield 1911A1 and the slides would not fit on either one. Both have Wilson extended ejectors on them and the slides seem to be hanging up on the ejectors. They fit fine without the ejectors.

Now to the question. Do Wilson ejectors need to be filed to fit the slide or is there something I am missing on the LDA slides? Might the LDA's use a completely different ejector?

Thanks
Greg
Old March 27, 2002, 09:01 PM   #2
Joe Portale

I'll take a stab at this, but will bend to the gun gurus that haunt this BBS.

Without seeing what the actual problem is, you may need to adjust the ejector. While working the slide, look at the ejector from the back side looking from the hammer of the firearm. Look to see where it is hitting or hanging up. You may need to alter the ejector profile to make it work. But, if you do that then you mess up the setup for the original slide. I do not know if the LDA slide or ejector is different than any other 1911 clone.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old March 27, 2002, 11:08 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The easy answer is to trim the ejectors to fit the slide. But doing that may mean that the ejectors will not work with the original slides. If you are good with a Dremel tool, you MIGHT be able to cut the slides to fit the ejector.

A good lesson to show that while GI M1911/A1 pistols had interchangeable parts, not all the 1911 clones do, especially with a gun as modified as the Para-Ordnance pistols.

Jim
Old March 29, 2002, 12:03 AM   #4
Ken Cook

Remember the old Gunsmithing rule...

Always cut the cheapest part first!
Old March 29, 2002, 09:25 AM   #5
BigG

Another point: The slides are caliber specific. you can't put a 38 Super on a 45 ACP for example. Paras are often other calibers than 45, assuming your frame is a 45 caliber.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old March 29, 2002, 11:06 AM   #6
Gpappy

Thanks for all the response. It is a 45 slide on a 45 frame. I had never heard that the ejectors needed to be fit to the slide. I have 5 1911's and these two slides are the only ones that are not interchangeable as far as the ejector goes.
Greg
Old March 29, 2002, 05:05 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

On GI and GI spec guns, the ejectors do not have to be fitted to the slide and parts are interchangeable. But you have parts from different makers who had no obligation to make parts which would fit with another maker's parts. Again, just because something looks like a Model 1911/A1 does not mean its parts are interchangeable with a GI Model 1911/A1 or with any of the dozens of other makes of guns that look like a Model 1911/A1.

Jim