The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2014, 08:40 AM   #26
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersurf101 View Post
I really like IMR 4064 with the 168 and 190 gr projectiles in .308.

IMR 4064 is my favorite powder for 308 loads. It works great for me with 150 and 168 grain bullets.
Old April 19, 2014, 09:30 AM   #27
Kevin Rohrer

Quote:
Any good Hodgdon powders for .44 Mag, .44, Spl, .38Spl or .308?
H110 for .44mag

BLC2 for .308

A basic search here would have gotten you the info you wanted.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old April 19, 2014, 09:31 AM   #28
NWPilgrim

Agree with HP38 and Universal for light to medium loads in the magnum and full range in the Specials. Universal will get you to slightly higher velocities.

H110 is great for maximum velocity in the magnum but you are not suppose to download it more than 3%, so N110 would be good to fill in between top end Universal and below H110.

Several good powders for .308. I would start with BL-C2 (ball powder) which was used for military loads. And Varget or H4895 the 150 gr bullets, both short stick powders. For heavier bullets H4350 would be good to try.
Old April 19, 2014, 10:03 AM   #29
Pond, James Pond

Thanks to those who have answered so far.

HP38 and Universal are the only ones that have come up regularly that the shop sells. I may have to ask about H110: seems too good not to try!

For the .308, only one seems to be sold (I don't remember seeing the BL-C2 powder): H4895, so I may try it or N140 next. Those who have shot it say it is very good for .308...

Quote:
True, but not with the ideal comparison to VV powders which was part of the context.
Old April 19, 2014, 10:24 AM   #30
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by NWPilrrim:

H110 is great for maximum velocity in the magnum but you are not suppose to download it more than 3%
I see this stated all the time, but still, if one goes to the Hodgdon website, you'll see they download H110/W296 approx. 11% in their own recipes. I've found that a firm crimp and magnum primers are more important to proper ignition of them, than the extra 7-8%.

IMR4227, while it is not a Hodgdon powder per se, is still distributed by them and if available, an excellent powder for .44 mag, especially in long piped revolvers and carbines.
Old April 19, 2014, 10:32 AM   #31
skizzums

yeah, i am not sure where the 3% thing comes from for H110, does that mean from the starting load or from the max? because they list loads where the spread is more than 11% between min and max, my favorite carbine load is about 15% from max, but thats using a 20inch barrel, maybe that takes the 3% rule out of play
Old April 19, 2014, 11:47 AM   #32
Pond, James Pond

Not sure what is meant by this "3%" issue.

Can someone explain?

Please use simple english and type slowly so I can keep up!!
Old April 19, 2014, 12:31 PM   #33
WESHOOT2

They're talking about the percentage of charge weight reduction from the published MAX.

Which I find backwards, as I try to determine a safe 'Start' load, then work my way up.
Old April 19, 2014, 01:04 PM   #34
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
They're talking about the percentage of charge weight reduction from the published MAX.
Does this narrow window mean that H110 is not a progressive powder in the way N110 is?
Old April 20, 2014, 10:53 AM   #35
RC20

James: I am not up on what is progressive and non, so go with the ohter, but I think H110 is old school plain powder.

Quote:
H110 for .44mag

BLC2 for .308

I thought that was a bit snarky. A basic search gets you an overload of information.

I don't mind answering in the least James questions or at least what I can. And those two powders are opinions not facts and it helps to have conversations in regards to the OPs specific request in comparisons on the VV powders he is shooting.
Old April 20, 2014, 11:20 AM   #36
buck460XVR

I too do not know what a progressive powder is. H110/W296 have a narrow parameter, but within that parameter work very well. They are clean burning, measure extremely well thru a powder thrower and are impossible to double charge in a magnum case. They are also extremely safe and accurate when used at published charges.
Old April 20, 2014, 12:33 PM   #37
RC20

To clear it up, I know what a progressive powder is, I just am not postive that H-110 is not (I don't think so but............) It was made well before progresvie powders came into existence.

The progressive powders burn at different rates as the mix goes boom in the cartridge (hopefully)

As such they have a longer pressure dwell time but at a lower peak than normal powders.
Old April 20, 2014, 02:11 PM   #38
Pond, James Pond

The term progressive as I used it was from another thread in which a member described N110 as very progressive.

That is to say that the increase in pressure, compared to the increase in charge, was linear and predictable meaning that when working with unlisted component combinations (as I often seem to be), the likelihood of unpleasant pressure spikes.

I tell you... From the point of view of a novice reloader, that is gold dust!!

H110 still sounds very interesting, despite the technical challenges. I'll have to see if they can order!